Gardening and non-killing

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

Gardening and non-killing

Postby kvakamak » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:36 pm

Good day for everyone.
I know its quiet out of topic but i would like to ask all practicioners what do you think about gardening which is connected with killing small ants,worms etc. and also plants and other flowers.I think when you have no intention are no creating karma.But when you know it before, that you will kill some beings you shouldnt do that hm ?

I ask because i tried to seed this year but dont want to do that anymore because i killed so many beings and plants.I would better plant trees and fruit bushes thats almost without killing.

What does Buddha said about this ?

Thank you have a nice day.
;)
kvakamak

Re: Gardening and non-killing

Postby LastLegend » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:40 pm

kvakamak wrote:Good day for everyone.
I know its quiet out of topic but i would like to ask all practicioners what do you think about gardening which is connected with killing small ants,worms etc. and also plants and other flowers.I think when you have no intention are no creating karma.But when you know it before, that you will kill some beings you shouldnt do that hm ?

I ask because i tried to seed this year but dont want to do that anymore because i killed so many beings and plants.I would better plant trees and fruit bushes thats almost without killing.

What does Buddha said about this ?

Thank you have a nice day.
;)

Try raised bed method so you don't have to dig
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gseY2pFN3Fk

As for pest control, don't bother let them eat.
NAMO AMITABHA
NAM MO A DI DA PHAT (VIETNAMESE)
NAMO AMITUOFO (CHINESE)
LastLegend

Postby Indrajala » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:38 pm

kvakamak wrote:What does Buddha said about this ?

Renunciate monks and nuns were and generally still are forbidden from tilling the soil as per Vinaya (rules for monks and nuns) regulations.

However, there are Chan monks who engage in agriculture.
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog)
Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog)
Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog)
Dharma Depository (Site)

"Hui gives me no assistance. There is nothing that I say in which he does not delight." -Confucius
Indrajala
Former staff member

Postby Lazy_eye » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:44 pm

kvakamak wrote:Good day for everyone.

If you look at it that way, then you can't take any action at all. Because every moment of the day you are inadvertently harming or killing some life form.

You brush your teeth, right?
Lazy_eye

Postby Astus » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:54 pm

The monks would have had nothing to eat if all the many lay people stopped cultivating the fields. To paraphrase an advice from Mazu Daoyi, if you work in the garden you can reap the fruits of your work, if you avoid killing even small insects you reap your good karma.
"There is no such thing as the real mind. Ridding yourself of delusion: that's the real mind."
(Sheng-yen: Getting the Buddha Mind, p 73)

“Don’t rashly seek the true Buddha;
True Buddha can’t be found.
Does marvelous nature and spirit
Need tempering or refinement?
Mind is this mind carefree;
This face, the face at birth."

(Nanyue Mingzan: Enjoying the Way, tr. Jeff Shore; T51n2076, p461b24-26)
Astus
Former staff member

Postby kvakamak » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:54 pm

Thank you very much for your replies.
I have seen video with Container Garden and it is very interesting to gro that way.I will try little garden somewhere : )
More philosophical way i would like to find attitude which i will apply in this case so one of this is that i shouldnt kill even little worm or ant but the second is as you written before, you cant live without killing anything so its natural way.In many spiritual cultues there is usually layout of roles:monks-only pray a and do spiritual things,laymans-work and do all other things.I dont really know still what is best for me as a practitioner on my own path.Hmm.
:thinking:
Next thing is when you are going to build Stupa or Gompa for example, you have to kill many beings but this kind of buildings will bring happines and peace to milions of beings so its pretty clear for me that it is good thing to do so.
Gardening is not so important and it is more like fun, but it helps me to live on my own.Hmm.
Next idea what i discovered for me is that best plants and seeds to grow are trees and fruit plants like any kinds of apples,berries etc. because you only plant it and helps it grow and eat only fruits without need of killing little beings or plants.

In any event I have intention of non killing any being and also no to hurt any.So i will choose planting trees and i will also have more time for practice : ) hahaha :smile:

Wish you all the best.

Kvakamak
kvakamak

Postby LastLegend » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:31 am

If you really want to do gardening, recite NAMO AMITABHA for the sentient beings and wish that they will be reborn in Pure Land, for example. Or you can recite any mantra of your choice and wish that they will go to a better place, and really there is no better place other than Pure Land for those sentients.
NAMO AMITABHA
NAM MO A DI DA PHAT (VIETNAMESE)
NAMO AMITUOFO (CHINESE)
LastLegend

Postby kvakamak » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:19 pm

Yes i do so, or i do my apologies to that beings but mantras are good too.
:thanks:
kvakamak

Postby KeithBC » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:30 pm

Growing plants for food is necessary in order for us to live long enough to practice the Dharma. If I am growing food, my intention is to grow food. It is inevitable that some sentient beings will get hurt or killed in that process, and I regret that and may suffer from some vipaka for my intentional actions that knowingly cause that to happen, but that is simply a part of living in samsara.

It is my intention to avoid causing harm when I can. If I find that I have accidentally killed or injured a sentient being, I say the mantra of Chenrezi, to confirm in my mind my non-harming intention, and then carry on. What else can one do?

Om mani padme hum
Keith
KeithBC

Postby kvakamak » Sun May 01, 2011 6:34 pm

For Keith
Yes you are right that we need food to live and practice dharma but dont you think it is better for us to let this things to do for people that do not practice ?I mean, ist better for our spiritual path to dont kill any being ? Dont it stop us ?
You have right thoughts i agree Keith.
I hope no but i wanted to hear more oppinions about this.
Thank you all for your anserws.

Kvakamak
kvakamak

Return to Open Dharma