Practices for beginners in each tradition

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Luke

Practices for beginners in each tradition

Post by Luke »

I recently asked my lama in an email which practices he thought were most important for beginners to practice, and his answer was shinay, lojong, and the four thoughts which turn the mind toward the Dharma. My lama is a Karma Kagyu lama.

I was wondering which practices the other schools of Tibetan Buddhism think are the most important for beginners (people who haven't yet begun Ngondro) to practice. And perhaps some different Kagyu schools might have different opinions as well.

I have a feeling that everyone will recommend shinay, but I don't think that everyone practices lojong. I might be wrong, but I think that only the Kagyu and Gelug schools practice lojong.
ground

Re: Practices for beginners in each tradition

Post by ground »

Hi Luke

I think that the four thoughts are actually a practice to accompany a practitioner during his/her whole life. Also lojong in general is very helpful even if only practiced intermittently.
The so called "higher practices" (mahamudra, vajrayana in general) of course deserve the label "higher practices" but honestly ... who, that is leading a life of a housholder, can say that he/she continuously abides in a "state of mahamudra" or "in the center of the mandala"?

Kind regards
tatpurusa

Post by tatpurusa »

TMingyur wrote:Hi Luke
The so called "higher practices" (mahamudra, vajrayana in general) of course deserve the label "higher practices" but honestly ... who, that is leading a life of a housholder, can say that he/she continuously abides in a "state of mahamudra" or "in the center of the mandala"?

Kind regards
With all respect... but I have to diagree here.
Was this not possible, there would be no hope for Humankind.

Metta
tp
ground

Post by ground »

tatpurusa wrote:

Kind regards
With all respect... but I have to diagree here.

Metta
tp
Dear tatpurusa

let's focus on liberation instead. Liberation is possible. This is what the Buddha taught when teaching the 3rd noble truth.
And through his appearance he also taught that it is possible to apply one's liberation for the benefit of others.

Kind regards
tatpurusa

Post by tatpurusa »

TMingyur wrote:
tatpurusa wrote:
TMingyur wrote: With all respect... but I have to diagree here.

Metta
tp
Dear tatpurusa

let's focus on liberation instead. Liberation is possible. This is what the Buddha taught when teaching the 3rd noble truth.
And through his appearance he also taught that it is possible to apply one's liberation for the benefit of others.

Kind regards
That's exactly what I meant by hope.
muni

Post by muni »

I am so wondering that nature doesn't seems to exist at all when we cannot elaborate about. Dharmakaya ( not the concept) is mental fabrication?
Are thoughts offering self-liberated wakefulness? Is there nothing when I don't chase behind thoughts or don't keep mental fixations?
Is the state free from attachment only in temporary meditation?

Contemplation. :namaste: _/\_
ground

Post by ground »

muni wrote:I am so wondering that nature doesn't seems to exist at all when we cannot elaborate about. Dharmakaya ( not the concept) is mental fabrication?
"Dharmakaya ( not the concept)"?

"Word" (not the word) ;)

The way I see it is: If you can point at a sense perception which is a correlate of "Dharmakaya" and does not have a different conventional label then I would say that "Dharmakaya" is a valid concept.
But if the term "Dharmakaya" points to narratives only then I would say that it is merely a concept. However even if "merely" it may be a skillful one.
muni wrote: Is the state free from attachment only in temporary meditation?
No that would contradict the Buddha's teachings.

Kind regards
muni

Post by muni »

TMingyur wrote:
muni wrote:
The way I see it is: If you can point at a sense perception which is a correlate of "Dharmakaya" and does not have a different conventional label then I would say that "Dharmakaya" is a valid concept.
But if the term "Dharmakaya" points to narratives only then I would say that it is merely a concept. However even if "merely" it may be a skillful one.
This shows no description through fabrication. When something in narratives, is nature like it is, something newly created in mind.

The empty freshness of pure air must be constructed to can breath.
ground

Post by ground »

Sorry muni, but I do not understand what you want to express.

Kind regards
Luke

Post by Luke »

TMingyur wrote: I think that the four thoughts are actually a practice to accompany a practitioner during his/her whole life.
Yes, definitely, as is Ngondro once a person gets permission to start it.
TMingyur wrote: Also lojong in general is very helpful even if only practiced intermittently.
Yes, certainly.

Another thing I want to point out is that the term "beginner" does automatically mean a person who is not serious about practicing Dharma. It just means that the person hasn't yet been practicing Dharma for very long. Everyone has to start somewhere. Even Milarepa was a beginner at one point.

I know that on the internet people are willing to fight to the death over very exciting words such as "mahamudra" and "dharmakaya;" however, being helpful to beginners can be just as important because it's a manifestation of bodhichitta, which should always be present in all sincere practitioners.

In any case I had hoped that people in this thread would say things like "In the Nyingma tradition, people usually practice X, Y, and Z before they start Ngondro; In the Sakya tradition, beginners usually practice A, B, and C; etc."
But whatever. I realize that using the word "beginner" doesn't get people as riled up as the titles "intense Dzogchen trivia session" or "top-secret Vajrayogini saddhana revealed!" would.
ground

Post by ground »

Luke wrote:In any case I had hoped that people in this thread would say things like "In the Nyingma tradition, people usually practice X, Y, and Z before they start Ngondro; In the Sakya tradition, beginners usually practice A, B, and C; etc."
Dear Luke

I see your intention. However I do not feel authorized and/or capable to speak on behalf of a tradition.
Also my impression is that even within given traditions there is some variability as to approaches. E.g. if you take "Ngondro", even if you do not consider it to be a practice for beginners (imo it could very well be one) "Ngondro" is not even unanimously perceived as a necessary "stepping stone" in one and the same tradition (e.g. Nyingma) considering different teachers.

Also I think that we have to differentiate between the approaches for lay beginners in the west, for lay beginners in the home countries of the traditions and for monastic beginners. It may be that the traditions have significantly modified their approaches for lay beginners in the west wanting them to match specific proclivities of these people.
But with your inquiry you may have referred to the latter group exclusively.

Kind regards
Laurazen

Post by Laurazen »

I think that the four thoughts are actually a practice to accompany a practitioner during his/her whole life. Also lojong in general is very helpful even if only practiced intermittently.

Kind regards
I've heard that most people (ordinary householders) can only sustain it for several minutes off the cushion. Has anyone else heard that? Or something similar?

:namaste:
muni

Post by muni »

TMingyur wrote:Sorry muni, but I do not understand what you want to express.

Kind regards
Oh yes, I see. I neither.

It was about what already is, need no mental fabrications, need not to be created.

(Dharmakaya = mind's nature is emptiness.)
ground

Post by ground »

muni wrote:(Dharmakaya = mind's nature is emptiness.)
Well yes. mind is empty ... like all phenomena.
But why then this additional term "dharmakaya". Mind is empty ... that's all and that should suffice, or not?

Kind regards
muni

Post by muni »

TMingyur wrote:
But why then this additional term "dharmakaya". Mind is empty ... that's all and that should suffice, or not?

Kind regards
When one recognized the unborn mind's aspect, no point to keeping track of conceptualizations, indeed. But very useful in teaching.
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

Just on the side... is Ngondro an exclusively Kagyu thing ?
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
muni

Post by muni »

catmoon wrote:Just on the side... is Ngondro an exclusively Kagyu thing ?
Each Tibetan tradition. But it is nothing what Tibetan Buddhism only is teaching, even Buddha wasn't talking of Ngöndro or preliminaries.
Ogyen

Post by Ogyen »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ngondro" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wikipedia
Last edited by Ogyen on Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Made from 100% recycled karma

The Heart Drive - nosce te ipsum

"To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget." –Arundhati Roy
ground

Post by ground »

muni wrote:
TMingyur wrote:

Kind regards
When one recognized the unborn mind's aspect, no point to keeping track of conceptualizations, indeed. But very useful in teaching.
hmh ... its "usefullness" may be a delusion due to providing the "I" something to grasp.
And so the result may just be another existence ... somewhere in the deva realms.

"may" stands for "maybe or maybe not" ;)

Kind regards
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

muni wrote:
catmoon wrote:Just on the side... is Ngondro an exclusively Kagyu thing ?
Each Tibetan tradition. But it is nothing what Tibetan Buddhism only is teaching, even Buddha wasn't talking of Ngöndro or preliminaries.
Shakyamuni Buddha did not teach ngondro, that's true, but ngondro practices are the extraordinary preliminaries to every Highest Yoga Tantra sadhanas - extraordinary refuge, generation of Bodhicitta, mandala offering (in some form although the brief sadhanas may not mention mandala offering), and Guru yoga.

Some ngondros also have a couple of additional preliminaries.

The whole point of all the preliminaries as actual ngondro practice is to accumulate a lot of merit, some wisdom, but to esp. impress the preliminary practices on the mind.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

"Most all-knowing Mañjuśrī, ...
Please illuminate the radiant wisdom spirit
Of my precious Buddha nature."
HH Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”