Naropa, Marpa, Milarepa Contradiction that Bothers Me

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Enochian

Re: Naropa, Marpa, Milarepa Contradiction that Bothers Me

Post by Enochian »

Nangwa wrote: The so-called body of light is only attainable through Dzogchen.

What you cited doesn't prove your assertion at all.

Moreover....

Namdrol wrote: A Dzogchen without Buddhism is impossible for the simple reason that Dzoghen is a method of becoming a Buddha and nothing else.
There is an ever-present freedom from grasping the mind.

Mind being defined as the thing always on the Three Times.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Will wrote:Nor was there Buddhism when Buddha was "rockin"; nor Geluk when Je Rinpoche etcetera....
:twothumbsup:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Josef

Post by Josef »

Enochian wrote:
Nangwa wrote: The so-called body of light is only attainable through Dzogchen.

What you cited doesn't prove your assertion at all.

Moreover....

Namdrol wrote: A Dzogchen without Buddhism is impossible for the simple reason that Dzoghen is a method of becoming a Buddha and nothing else.
Still not clear on what the contradiction is.
My best guess is that you think all forms of realization that are often called "buddhahood" in Vajrayana result in the jalu.
This is simply untrue. The only path that produces jalu or "rainbow body" is Dzogchen. Not all forms of Vajrayana realization are equivalent.
You are the one making assertions here Enochian. The rest of us are trying to help you resolve this perceived contradiction but you havent clarified what you think the conflict is and its quite clear that you assume all Vajrayana methods lead to jalu, which is simply not the case.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Enochian

Post by Enochian »

A jalu is nothing other than Sambhogakāya. Even Rechungpa, Marpa etc. bodies disappeared at death. Wouldn't you call that jalu?

tamdrin

Post by tamdrin »

gregkavarnos wrote:
Will wrote:Tulku can be used very loosely, maybe it was used that way for those Kagyu sages.
There was no Kagyu yet when Naropa, Marpa and Milarepa were rockin'!

Yes they definetely still considered themselves the Kagyu... But there was no drikung, karma, drukpa, kagyu etc.. no dwagpo kagyu..
Josef

Post by Josef »

Enochian wrote:A jalu is nothing other than Sambhogakāya. Even Rechungpa, Marpa etc. bodies disappeared at death. Wouldn't you call that rainbow body?
No.
Jalu, great transference etc. occur at the time of death. The physical body dissolves into the elements and the three kaya's manifest simultaneously. This is not "nothing other" than sambhogakaya. Sambhogakaya is in there for sure but there is a difference in the sense of how the realization manifests and occurs.
I wasnt there when Rechungpa and Marpa died so I dont know if their bodies disappeared or shrunk or whatever, so I dont know if they achieved jalu or not.
I havent heard any stories of them attaining it. As far as the namthar's are concerned they utilized different methods of attainment so perhaps they practiced phowa at the time of death or some other method but I wouldnt call anything rainbow body that wasnt rainbow body and the only thing that is rainbow body is when a Dzogchen practitioners body dissolves into the elements completely or shrinks at the time of death and they achieve the levels of buddhahood mentioned in my previous post.

You have still neglected to explicitly state what you think the contradiction is.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
tamdrin

Post by tamdrin »

anyway if you read Milarepa's Namthar closely and many times, you will come to understand it.. Milarepa manifested himself at two different places at the same time at once..at his death Rechungpa saw him somewhere and other followers saw him elsewhere at the same time..
Josef

Post by Josef »

tamdrin wrote:
gregkavarnos wrote:
Will wrote:Tulku can be used very loosely, maybe it was used that way for those Kagyu sages.
There was no Kagyu yet when Naropa, Marpa and Milarepa were rockin'!

Yes they definetely still considered themselves the Kagyu... But there was no drikung, karma, drukpa, kagyu etc.. no dwagpo kagyu..
They might have used the words but I doubt that anyone really identified as Kagyu until Gampopa.
Josef

Post by Josef »

tamdrin wrote:anyway if you read Milarepa's Namthar closely and many times, you will come to understand it.. Milarepa manifested himself at two different places at the same time at once..at his death Rechungpa saw him somewhere and other followers saw him elsewhere at the same time..
This is siddhi, not necessarily jalu.
Enochian

Post by Enochian »

Nangwa wrote:You have still neglected to explicitly state what you think the contradiction is.
Once a regular human, like any of us, obtains Buddhahood BEFORE DEATH his physical body should become a Sambhogakāya, a body of light like Tilopa.

Nangwa wrote: I wasnt there when Rechungpa and Marpa died so I dont know if their bodies disappeared or shrunk or whatever, so I dont know if they achieved jalu or not.
The point isn't what actually happened, but what the Tibetans claim happened.
Last edited by Enochian on Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tamdrin

Post by tamdrin »

whatever,
nonetheless if you read the hundred thousand songs Milarepa knew, and taught what was known as "the secret teaching of the Thogal"
Josef

Post by Josef »

Enochian wrote:
Nangwa wrote:You have still neglected to explicitly state what you think the contradiction is.
Once a regular human, like any of us, obtains Buddhahood BEFORE DEATH his physical body should become a Sambhogakāya, a body of light like Tilopa.

I disagree.
Perhaps a person who attains buddhahood in this body can manifest a sambhogakaya pure land and be seen in that form by individuals of a certain capacity. But this doesnt mean that the nirmanakaya disappears.
Last edited by Josef on Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josef

Post by Josef »

tamdrin wrote:whatever,
nonetheless if you read the hundred thousand songs Milarepa knew, and taught what was known as "the secret teaching of the Thogal"
I dont doubt that.
Enochian

Post by Enochian »

Nangwa wrote:
Enochian wrote:

I disagree.
Perhaps a person who attains buddhahood in this body can manifest a sambhogakaya pure land and be seen in that form by individuals of a certain capacity. But this doesnt mean that the nirmanakaya disappears.

ok i see what you are saying. but is this canonically accurate?

Josef

Post by Josef »

Enochian wrote:
As far as I know.
I'm sure someone will hit this thread and give more details than I can on how the attainments of annutarayoga tantra manifest but I do know that jalu or rainbow body is very specific and only a part of Dzogchen. Its even specific and unique to mengagde.
Enochian

Post by Enochian »

Nangwa wrote:
Enochian wrote:
As far as I know.
I'm sure someone will hit this thread and give more details than I can on how the attainments of annutarayoga tantra manifest but I do know that jalu or rainbow body is very specific and only a part of Dzogchen. Its even specific and unique to mengagde.

You had me agreeing with you, and then you say something ridiculous like this LOL :crying:

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Enochian wrote:These guys were not emanations.

They were regular humans like us that worked hard to obtain Sambhogakāya.

There is a contradiction here which is disturbing.

All Sambhogakāyas have a nirmankāya.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Enochian wrote:

Yes. It also makes common sense.
Josef

Post by Josef »

Enochian wrote:
Nangwa wrote:
Enochian wrote:
As far as I know.

You had me agreeing with you, and then you say something ridiculous like this LOL :crying:
Which part is ridiculous?
If its the part about mengagde I meant that only the mengagde class contains the instructions on the methods that lead to jalu.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Enochian wrote:A jalu is nothing other than Sambhogakāya. Even Rechungpa, Marpa etc. bodies disappeared at death. Wouldn't you call that jalu?
A body disappearing does not equal rainbow body. Often, when people realize rainbow body, their bodies just shrink.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”