New Avatamsaka-sutra translation planned.

Discuss and learn about the traditional Mahayana scriptures, without assuming that any one school ‘owns’ the only correct interpretation.
Huseng
Former staff member

New Avatamsaka-sutra translation planned.

Post by Huseng »

On an academic list this came the other day:

http://h-net.msu.edu/cgi-bin/logbrowse. ... gl9aaGFoNw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A Search for Translators of the Chinese text, the Huayan Sutra
(Avatamsaka Sutra, Taisho No. 278):

We are seeking a team of translators for this important and voluminous
text (393 Taisho pages long) .

A) A team of translators coordinated by a leading
translator. (Preferably a group affiliated with a university or
research institute.)

B) Be able to complete the translation in approximately 5 years.

C) Translation fee is $350 per Taisho page, with the total amounting
to U.S. $137,550.00 (One hundred thirty-seven thousand five-hundred
fifty dollars). Payments ($250 per Taisho page) can be made for pages
submitted before the entire text is completed. However, the remaining
translation fee ($100 for Taisho page) can only be made upon
completion of the entire text.

So in maybe five (or fifteen) years we'll have a new complete English translation of the Avataṃsaka Sūtra.

I think they'll have a hard time finding a team. They'd be better off finding somebody with connections to be in charge and co-ordinate the massive translation amongst numerous scholars.

In any case, hopefully within this decade we'll have a new Avataṃsaka Sūtra in English.
Nicholas Weeks

Re: New Avatamsaka-sutra translation planned.

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Finally!! Numata-BDK has had the Avatamsaka on their project list for 20? years.

Are you going to sign up Jeff?
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

Will wrote:Finally!! Numata-BDK has had the Avatamsaka on their project list for 20? years.

I'm not on any team, so I can't apply. If somebody were to request applications to join a team, I would sign up.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Huseng wrote:
Will wrote:Finally!! Numata-BDK has had the Avatamsaka on their project list for 20? years.

I'm not on any team, so I can't apply. If somebody were to request applications to join a team, I would sign up.
Pish posh - you are in Japan already. Surely some team from your university will be put together. Just let the possible leader or members know you are eager to help.
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

Will wrote:
Huseng wrote:

Pish posh - you are in Japan already. Surely some team from your university will be put together. Just let the possible leader or members know you are eager to help.
I doubt there are sufficient scholars in Japan with enough interest in translating into English to form a team.

There are plenty of foreigners, but whether or not they want to actually translate the whole Huayan-jing into English is doubtful.

I really hope whoever does it assembles a team who can translate with not just the Chinese, but also the Tibetan.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

No interest in translating the Avatamsaka ? What a bummer. Is Cleary's that great that they want to pass, or why the indifference?
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

Will wrote:No interest in translating the Avatamsaka ? What a bummer. Is Cleary's that great that they want to pass, or why the indifference?
The size of the text is intimidating to begin with.

I think there are a lot of scholars around the world who would like to pitch in, but probably no team ready to get rolling in a few weeks time.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

I wonder if the Tibetan version is much different than the Chinese? Probably different chapter or section divisions at least.

Maybe a Tibetan translation would provoke more interest.
adept

Post by adept »

I had a dream last night where I found myself in an abandoned cave/temple somewhere in Asia.
On a stone plinth in the middle of the room was several large leatherbound books.
I opened them and guess what ? A full English translation of the Avatamsaka sutra complete with a page by page commentary.
It was written on the most beautiful thick moleskin paper in red ink in what must have been about a dozen books.
How strange that I had this dream. I wonder what significance it has.
I must stop eating cheese near bedtime. :smile:
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

adept wrote:I had a dream last night where I found myself in an abandoned cave/temple somewhere in Asia.
On a stone plinth in the middle of the room was several large leatherbound books.
I opened them and guess what ? A full English translation of the Avatamsaka sutra complete with a page by page commentary.
It was written on the most beautiful thick moleskin paper in red ink in what must have been about a dozen books.
Next time go to the title page, pay closer attention and write down what it says.
adept

Post by adept »

Will wrote:
adept wrote:I had a dream last night where I found myself in an abandoned cave/temple somewhere in Asia.
Next time go to the title page, pay closer attention and write down what it says.
When I opened the top book of the pile and started to 'read', it was as if I understood everything in that instant.
Hard to explain in words. It was more of a 'feeling', than a knowing.
Anyway, I take this as some sort of message that I need to read and study this sutra, along with any relevant Huayan material (I've had some help from Jeff on this already. :thanks: )
This would tie in nicely with my Pure Land recitation practice.

Namo Amitabha Buddha
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

BDK made their decision and picked Ven. Bhikshu Dharmamitra to translate the sutra. Also the Buddhist Text Translation Society is working on one. So in a few years we will have:

1) Cleary's version; 2) a Kalavinka version with Chinese on facing pages; 3) a BDK version and 4) a BTTS version.

Be sure to support Ven. Dharmamitra in all manners - http://www.kalavinka.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not sure how to support the BTTS effort.
Anders

Post by Anders »

Will, how is ven Heng Shou these days? I take it his health problems have abated for him to undertake a project of this magnitude?

Is the BTTS one not one that has been in the works for a number of years by now? If not, strange that they would start up again as I presume Heng Shou would have fairly close ties to them.
"Even if my body should be burnt to death in the fires of hell
I would endure it for myriad lifetimes
As your companion in practice"

--- Gandavyuha Sutra
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Anders Honore wrote:Will, how is ven Heng Shou these days? I take it his health problems have abated for him to undertake a project of this magnitude?

Is the BTTS one not one that has been in the works for a number of years by now? If not, strange that they would start up again as I presume Heng Shou would have fairly close ties to them.
Anders, as he mentions in this thread http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=7674" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; as long as his transplanted liver stays healthy, he will press onward.

As for BTTS, I do not know if they are going to try and speed up their Avatamsaka Sutra with Master Hua's full comments version or drop that and (just like the Shurangama Sutra) do the sutra alone with a few excerpts from Master Hua, or.... I just do not know.

Return to “Sūtra Studies”