YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

People are born superstitious, scientists say. - Dhamma Wheel

People are born superstitious, scientists say.

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
Individual

People are born superstitious, scientists say.

Postby Individual » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:48 pm

The best things in life aren't things.

pink_trike

Re: People are born superstitious, scientists say.

Postby pink_trike » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:29 pm

It is only interesting to me if the study and conclusions have been peer reviewed...that is, the research methodology has been evaluated for rigorousness and the conclusions have been duplicated by researchers outside of the field of paranormal research. Psychologists are a dime a dozen, and "data' can be used to prove nearly anything.
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.

poto

Postby poto » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:43 pm

Hormones have an impact on brain development, so that would seem to make sense. I tend to be on the skeptical side myself, so I'll just attribute that to my overwhelming manliness :D

The field of psychology is an interesting one, and it's neat to see these types of studies which can sometimes shed a bit of insight into the inner workings of our minds. Although, there are still a lot of unexplained things in the world, and I don't think this should be taken as a dismissal of all paranormal activity.

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:28 pm

I am a social scientist, so am probably a little biased, but in the whole "nature vs. nurture" debate, I lean toward nurture.

A person born from a father who is a ph.d. scientist working in a lab and a mother who is a ph.d. atheist-philosopher will most likely be a skeptic and not accept any superstitious beliefs, no matter how many genetic markers show otherwise. Likewise, a person born in rural Cambodia will most likely hold some superstitious beliefs no matter how many genetic markers say that he will be a skeptic.

Return to “Lounge”