Be like the sky, not the weather.

Discuss your personal experience with the Dharma here. How has it enriched your life? What challenges does it present?

Be like the sky, not the weather.

Postby Dana » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:00 pm

I don't remember where that saying originally came from but I do remember my teacher saying this. It is useful to me when going thru difficulties, to help settle my reactive mind.

When 'as it is' simply seems too difficult. Does that make it an escape from reality? In a way it surely does as it brings relief from samsaric difficulties and the mind's constant chasing after them in its endless repetition of old patterns.

Also when I am suffering from weather-head (ha ha) with migraines at weather changes when it allows for a step into the quiet center of the storm, so to speak.

A saying similar to the one about being the ocean, not the waves.

D
Dana

Re: Be like the sky, not the weather.

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:18 am

Greetings Dana,

Thanks for sharing.

Metta,
Retro. :)
Live in concord, with mutual appreciation, without disputing, blending like milk and water, viewing each other with kindly eyes

Dhamma Wheel (Theravada forum) * Here Comes Trouble
retrofuturist
Founding Member

Postby muni » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:27 pm

Be like the sky, not the weather. :bow:
This sentence is having such a value.

One other: mind as calm as the depth of the sea, not like the waves in the storm.
muni

Postby Dana » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:33 pm

Oh Yes!

And one about a fish jumping out of those depths and returning.

D
Dana

Postby Ogyen » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:30 am

I've seen this different buddhist teachings. TNH, Pema Chodron, etc. I think there are several variations of this expression. It definitely helps through tough and easy times. Keeps the focus on the primal wisdom of mind --in essence it's one of the things that gets me through each day.

Thank you for sharing such a beautiful thought.

:namaste:
Ogyen.
Image Made from 100% recycled karma

The Heart Drive Word Press
Mud to Lotus

"To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget." –Arundhati Roy
Ogyen

Postby plwk » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:43 am

Sigh but sometimes when one gets stuck in a tunnel...the only vision one gets is the darkness
But I suppose one could learn how to be like the darkness, not in imitating its obscuring quality but in its vast embracing nature...until the light shows up and then we move on to the level...illuminating the Buddha in ourselves and others..
plwk

Postby Ogyen » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:44 am

plwk,

you know, I faced that internal feeling of standing on the brink of a cliff in total darkness for most of my life, that darkness was all I could see. The truth is when events start closing in on you making you feel like you're being the crushed, the dark has a way of changing function for some people. For example, for me, it was a comforting vastness that gave me the freedom to find a light that lasts, like the triple gem, that is as alive as you will make it be and as enlightening as you make it...

Just a thought I had while reading your post.

:anjali:
Image Made from 100% recycled karma

The Heart Drive Word Press
Mud to Lotus

"To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget." –Arundhati Roy
Ogyen

Postby Paul » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:42 pm

Dana wrote:I don't remember where that saying originally came from but I do remember my teacher saying this. It is useful to me when going thru difficulties, to help settle my reactive mind.

When 'as it is' simply seems too difficult. Does that make it an escape from reality? In a way it surely does as it brings relief from samsaric difficulties and the mind's constant chasing after them in its endless repetition of old patterns.

Also when I am suffering from weather-head (ha ha) with migraines at weather changes when it allows for a step into the quiet center of the storm, so to speak.

A saying similar to the one about being the ocean, not the waves.

D

From Milarepa:

To the 15-year-old farm-girl Barbardom, soon a devoted disciple, one of his four female heirs:

The Guru who indicates the true knowledge from without is your Outer Guru.
The Guru who elucidates the Awareness of Mind within, is your Inner Guru.
The illumination of the self-recognition of Mind-Essence is the real Initiation.
Meditate on the Vastness with no center and no edge.
Like the ocean, infinitely great and unfathomably deep,absorb yourself in deepest contemplation.
Thus meditate on your Self-mind.

She later came to him and complained of being distracted by thoughts. Mila sang:

If you felt fine in meditating on the sky, so be it with the clouds.
Clouds are but manifestations of the sky;
Therefore, rest right in the sphere of the sky!
Waves are but the movement of the ocean;
if you can meditate well on that, why not on the waves?
Therefore, dissolve yourself right in the ocean!
The disturbing thought-flow manifests the mind;
if you can meditate well on that, so be it with the thoughtflow!
Therefore, dissolve yourself into the very Essence of Mind!

"Do not block your six senses; delight in them with joy and ease.
All that you take pleasure in will strengthen the awakened state.
With such a confidence, empowered by the regal state of natural mind,
The training now is simply this: lets your six senses be at ease and free." - Princess Parani
Paul

Return to Personal Experience