Dharma Wheel

A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:25 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:52 am
Posts: 300
Is Longchen Nyingtik practiced within Karma Kagyu? Could one approach a Karma Kagyu Lama if one wish to practice Longchen Nyingtik ngondro as taught in "Words of my Perfect Teacher"?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:03 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:44 pm
Posts: 1565
It would depend on the lama.
I cant think of any right off hand but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if there were KK lamas out there who transmit LNN and well as sarma ngondro.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:49 pm
Posts: 2808
Location: Bay Area, CA, USA
Some do, sure.
My teacher doesn't teach it publically, but he did give Rigdzin Dupa a few years back.....as for what he practices, who knows, eh?

_________________
May any merit generated by on-line discussion
Be dedicated to the Ultimate Benefit of All Sentient Beings.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:02 am
Posts: 34
I believe Mingyur Rinpoche is both a holder of the Kagyu (Karma Kamtsang) & Nyigma (Longchen Nyingtik) Lineages.
Although right now, publicly he teaches mostly from the Kamstang tradition.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:35 pm 
Online

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:40 pm
Posts: 452
Hi J-Bird,

Although he does hold the Longchen Nyingthig (and many other Nyingma Lineages) Mingyur Rinpoche mostly teaches from the Chokling Tersar when he teaches in the Nyingma tradition, as it is his families lineage through his father, Tulku Urgyen.

Best Wishes,

samdrup

_________________
s.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:52 am
Posts: 300
Do you know of any Lamas who either live in Europe, or teach here, that one can contact if one wishes to practice Longchen Nyingtid preliminaries?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:01 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:55 pm
Posts: 3142
Inge wrote:
Do you know of any Lamas who either live in Europe, or teach here, that one can contact if one wishes to practice Longchen Nyingtid preliminaries?


Tulku Dakpa from Mindorling lives in Finland. But I guess there are many other for example in France.

/magnus

_________________
"To reject practice by saying, 'it is conceptual!' is the path of fools. A tendency of the inexperienced and something to be avoided."
- Longchenpa


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:05 pm
Posts: 206
Location: Germany
Jigme Khyentse and Tulku Pema Wangyal in the dordogne in france come to mind


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:35 am 
Offline
Former staff member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:09 am
Posts: 2940
Location: Space is the Place
Dhondrub wrote:
Jigme Khyentse and Tulku Pema Wangyal in the dordogne in france come to mind


Inge, these two Lamas mentioned above I've never had
the great fortune to meet--but I've heard second-hand
only the best things and if I was in Europe I would
look to them myself. I have a friend that moved from the U.S.
to Europe just to study with Jigme Khyentse Rinpoche.

_________________
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:26 pm
Posts: 40
Inge wrote:
Is Longchen Nyingtik practiced within Karma Kagyu? Could one approach a Karma Kagyu Lama if one wish to practice Longchen Nyingtik ngondro as taught in "Words of my Perfect Teacher"?



You may want to consider the Drikung Kagyu instead, considering that the 4th Chungtsang Rinpoche - one of the two heads of the Drikung Kagyu tradition - was born to Jigme Lingpa himself, and in this respect the Longchen Nyingthig continues to remain very popular, and in particular with this Kagyu tradition.

_________________
"If the aspiration for enlightenment is your motivation in coming to see me, there is no remedy except meditative practice. I, too, will only practice." - Zurpoche Sakya Jungne


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:44 pm
Posts: 1565
orgyen jigmed wrote:
Inge wrote:
Is Longchen Nyingtik practiced within Karma Kagyu? Could one approach a Karma Kagyu Lama if one wish to practice Longchen Nyingtik ngondro as taught in "Words of my Perfect Teacher"?



You may want to consider the Drikung Kagyu instead, considering that the 4th Chungtsang Rinpoche - one of the two heads of the Drikung Kagyu tradition - was born to Jigme Lingpa himself, and in this respect the Longchen Nyingthig continues to remain very popular, and in particular with this Kagyu tradition.


They also have their own terma cycle.
Pretty interesting lineage the Drikung is.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bryandavis and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group