Strengthening Energy Channels

A forum for all questions about Tibetan Medicine. No more posting in this forum until further notice.
deff

Strengthening Energy Channels

Post by deff »

Hi,

I've been possessed by a spirit(s) for the past 16 months, which has made my life and specifically my meditation practice quite difficult. I had a mirror divination done my Lama Dawa when it first started and was told:

Question: I feel there is a demon or entity harming my life and my practice. It frequently deludes me and seems to possess me. Is this a real entity, and if so, what type of entity?
Answer: Your energy channels are very weak, which allows for different spirits to possess you. In particular you are being affected by a spirit named 'Batarey Pandey'.

In a later question he told me wearing a Hayagriva amulet should repel him, so I tried this, but to no avail. So then I decided I should try and stengthen my energy channels to prevent possession altogether, but I'm not sure how this might be accomplished. Is there any link between diet/behaviour and energy channel strength perhaps? Or maybe would hatha yoga or something similar be effective? Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks! :smile:
Malcolm

Re: Strengthening Energy Channels

Post by Malcolm »

deff wrote:Hi,

I've been possessed by a spirit(s) for the past 16 months, which has made my life and specifically my meditation practice quite difficult. I had a mirror divination done my Lama Dawa when it first started and was told:

Question: I feel there is a demon or entity harming my life and my practice. It frequently deludes me and seems to possess me. Is this a real entity, and if so, what type of entity?
Answer: Your energy channels are very weak, which allows for different spirits to possess you. In particular you are being affected by a spirit named 'Batarey Pandey'.

In a later question he told me wearing a Hayagriva amulet should repel him, so I tried this, but to no avail. So then I decided I should try and stengthen my energy channels to prevent possession altogether, but I'm not sure how this might be accomplished. Is there any link between diet/behaviour and energy channel strength perhaps? Or maybe would hatha yoga or something similar be effective? Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks! :smile:
You probably have a wind disorder. You should try a wind/pacifying diet. Regularly burn gugul. You should practice something like Hayagriva, Guru Dragpo, or Vajrakilaya. You should find out from Lama Dawa what class of spirit Batarey Pandey belongs to (i.e.gyal po, tsan, etc).

Who is your teacher?
deff

Post by deff »

my teacher is Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche... though I'm fairly new with him, I'm enrolled in his 10-year north american dharma gar. I sent an email to him about this situation through the dharma gar coordinator but I haven't heard back yet.

we're doing ngondro practice right now, but I've heard that when we get to yidam practice it might be Hayagriva which would be great

what's a wind/pacifying diet exactly? also, do you just burn gugul in bulk like incense?

I would ask Lama Dawa about the class of spirit, but I'm out of work and broke right now, so that'll have to wait unfortunately.

thanks for the help namdrol! :namaste:
Josef

Post by Josef »

Sorry to hear about your troubles Deff.
Hopefully you hear back from Rinpoche soon and I am sure Namdrol's advice will be very useful.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

deff wrote:my teacher is Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche... though I'm fairly new with him, I'm enrolled in his 10-year north american dharma gar. I sent an email to him about this situation through the dharma gar coordinator but I haven't heard back yet.

we're doing ngondro practice right now, but I've heard that when we get to yidam practice it might be Hayagriva which would be great

what's a wind/pacifying diet exactly? also, do you just burn gugul in bulk like incense?

I would ask Lama Dawa about the class of spirit, but I'm out of work and broke right now, so that'll have to wait unfortunately.

thanks for the help namdrol! :namaste:

You need to see an Ayurvedic practitioner or a Tibetan doctor.

Yes, you burn gugul in your house. This can help dispell spirits.

N
gnegirl

Post by gnegirl »

Stupid Q, Whatsa gugul??
"Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise." --Surangama Sutra

Phenomenon, vast as space, dharmata is your base, arising and falling like ocean tide cycles, why do i cling to your illusion of unceasing changlessness?
Josef

Post by Josef »

gnegirl wrote:Stupid Q, Whatsa gugul??
Its an ayurvedic herbal remedy, often used to control cholesterol etc when taken as a supplement if I'm not mistaken.
Not sure what plant it comes from. I'm interested to see more details from Namdrol on its properties when burnt.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
tamdrin

Post by tamdrin »

Ok you should definately ask your Lama about learning CHod and if that would be good for your situation... Getting rid of spirits is impossible, and fixating on concepts about it only adds to the problem.. Unless you are experiencing something like from the movies where a spirit is lifting you up off your bed.

can I just ask how the spirit seems to be "deluding" you do you feel confused and are having visions?
deff

Post by deff »

the spirit possession symptoms are a very strong magnetic feeling/pressure in my crown area, especially during meditation, feeling very dissociated, hearing voices - especially during meditation, feeling bizarre emotions of the spirit (when i meditate he frequently overtakes my mind and tries to elicit anger for some reason), it frequently yells through my body too, especially swear words (kind of like classic Exorcist type stuff haha)

I just finished two months of doing kusali practice as part of ngondro, i was hoping that might help but the spirit is still here (i was specifically offering up my body to the spirit hoping to appease him)
You need to see an Ayurvedic practitioner or a Tibetan doctor.

Yes, you burn gugul in your house. This can help dispell spirits.
thanks! I will look into this
justsit

Post by justsit »

Perhaps this?
tamdrin

Post by tamdrin »

Deff,
Have you given thought to the possibility that there is no spirit possessing you in this case that it is something happening with your brain? Just a thought because I have a feeling that you can try all the rituals and tibetan medicine you want and it may not help..

anyway sorry you are having a tough time I have been through something similiar where I thought spirits were always harming me and I really felt like that even went to an exorcist (a buddhist one) tried all the rituals, sang, different incense, Lots of Chod practice, Tibetan medicine, shamatha, other rituals and mantra,s hayagriva, garuda , and vajrapani mantras, tara mantras, medicine buddha mantras, consulted with many lamas, had special pujas done personally for me in nepal for 2 days straight which included offering effigies to the spirits of myself. etc in the end I had to give in and go see a psychiatrist and believe it or not a small amount of haldol helped stabilize me so that I could practice again, I completely stopped believing that spirits were harming me etc b/c of the western meds. and regained my stability and compusure. This is just my experience, so you are probably in a different situation and I hope that this will resolve for you quickly

oh and PS Lama Dawa told me to wear a Hayagriva necklace too- something I never did.
double PS my root Lama said that my belief that spirits were causing me problems was Absolute Nonsense and not to fixate on such things.
deff

Post by deff »

thanks for your concern tamdrin,

i too have tried western medicine - i'm actually on anti-psychotics now and they haven't done anything to remedy the situation, i've even upped the dosage etc

i have no doubt based on my experience that this is a spirit though, though if i hadn't gone through it personally i might be inclined to believe otherwise

glad to hear your situation improved though! :thumbsup:
tamdrin

Post by tamdrin »

Yes Deff,
It took me a long time about 4 or 5 meds before I got to Haldol which is the only one that even worked.. and then it took a while to stabilize it, and all the horrible side effects you have to go through etc.. I kno it can be hard. and then I finally got to the point where I can take a very small dose and I am totally sympton free and I experience no side effects.. but for real man I am doing really well now I am able to do retreat again and everything. something that is impossible when you are hearing voices and the Lama's are talking to you in your head etc.. Anyway don't give up man and keep up the practice praying for the purification of the obstacles I will also pray for u..
Last edited by tamdrin on Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
deff

Post by deff »

thanks! i'm very glad to hear your situation cleared up! i've tried a number of medications but none have been effective, and the symptoms i have are very specific and include strong physical sensations etc, also it always flares up when i meditate - so i think in my case it's a spirit, but i could be wrong

i'm very glad to hear you can do retreat now! that's something I would like to do and right now the spirit situation would pose quite an obstacle to that
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

Do you happen to long for supernatural powers? Especially during meditation?
It’s eye blinking.
tamdrin

Post by tamdrin »

Deff,
Trust me. It is very unlikely that a spirit is causing this. Nonetheless you will have to come to your own conlcusions about this. I suggest trying other meds until you find one that works.
deff

Post by deff »

LastLegend wrote:Do you happen to long for supernatural powers? Especially during meditation?
nope!
Deff,
Trust me. It is very unlikely that a spirit is causing this. Nonetheless you will have to come to your own conlcusions about this. I suggest trying other meds until you find one that works.
I disagree based on my experience, but I understand where you're coming from. I went through a phase where I thought it might just be psychosis, but I really do not feel that is the case now.
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

deff wrote:
LastLegend wrote:Do you happen to long for supernatural powers? Especially during meditation?
nope!
Deff,
I disagree based on my experience, but I understand where you're coming from. I went through a phase where I thought it might just be psychosis, but I really do not feel that is the case now.
Ok I am trying to rule out any other possible factors before I can say it is a spirit.
So have you done any drugs in the past? I mean substance abuse.
Did anything strange/wrong happen during meditation before you think you were possessed?

The reason why I asked if you long for supernatural powers is because if you do that's your weakness, and spirits will seize this opportunity to control you.
It’s eye blinking.
deff

Post by deff »

I've smoked marijuana in the past and done psychedelic drugs, but this was all a while before the spirit first appeared. I've read that marijuana use can weaken one's energy body, don't know if this is true, but maybe that played a role in allowing me to become possessed as per lama dawa's explanation.

Nothing strange happened in meditation that I can recall. Just started out of the blue last January :shrug:
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

deff wrote:I've smoked marijuana in the past and done psychedelic drugs, but this was all a while before the spirit first appeared. I've read that marijuana use can weaken one's energy body, don't know if this is true, but maybe that played a role in allowing me to become possessed as per lama dawa's explanation.

Nothing strange happened in meditation that I can recall. Just started out of the blue last January :shrug:
My opinion:
It might be the drugs that you have done in the past as drugs have great effects on the brain. This would cause the brain to function not normally. So, it might be a brain problem. That's why you are hearing voices and such. Do you find that you cannot control your thinking sometimes? Responding erratically mentally to certain situations without have control over it? And stress would definitely increase this situation.

If you are high on drugs while meditating or doing drugs and meditating, you will definitely have what you described. So if you are still doing drugs now, I think you should stop.

Your opinion:
You think it is a spirit.

Anyway whether it is a spirit or drug related, I suggest reciting Namo Amitabha over a couple months will definitely help. But you need to have complete faith and be consistent and persistent. Even if you are distracted at first from reciting Namo Amitabha, please continue to do so regardless of how the spirits or symptoms bother you. Trust me you will experience changes from inside out, and find yourself more focused even if your recitation is not good at first, but over time you will be more focused in your recitation. You will have to wrestle with intruding thoughts at first, especially those thoughts. Namo Amitabha can cure your situation but you have to have faith, be consistent, and persistent. Use Namo Amitabha to subdue all the craziness that is going in your head including those intrusive thoughts when they arise. There are many versions of Namo Amitabha for examples Namo Amituofo in Chinese and Nam Mo A Di Da Phat in Vietnamese. You can use any version you like.

NAM MO A DI DA PHAT
It’s eye blinking.

Return to “Tibetan Medicine”