Looking for info on Tibetan demonology

Dharmaswede

Looking for info on Tibetan demonology

Post by Dharmaswede »

I am looking for good sources on information on Tibetan demonology. (I here use the term "demon" in the widest sense; including the four demons of Dharma, the four Demons of chö, rudras etc. etc.)

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Jens
rose
Site Admin

Re: Looking for info on Tibetan demonology

Post by rose »

Hi Dharmaswede,

Duplicate topic has been deleted.

Regards,
rt
Silent Bob

Post by Silent Bob »

Dharmaswede wrote:I am looking for good sources on information on Tibetan demonology. (I here use the term "demon" in the widest sense; including the four demons of Dharma, the four Demons of chö, rudras etc. etc.)

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Jens
"Machik's Complete Explanation" is full of descriptions of such beings.
"All the sublime teachings, so profound--to throw away one and then grab yet another will not bear even a single fruit. Persevere, therefore, in simply one."
--Dudjom Rinpoche, "Nectar for the Hearts of Fortunate Disciples. Song No. 8"
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Dharmaswede wrote:I am looking for good sources on information on Tibetan demonology. (I here use the term "demon" in the widest sense; including the four demons of Dharma, the four Demons of chö, rudras etc. etc.)

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Jens

the book "Gods and Demons of Tibet".
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Also the famous text The 100,000 Songs of Milarepa has quite a variety of demons showing up here and there. . .and portrays Milarepa's experience of the demons, illustrating how an advanced practitioner may encounter these forces .
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Scuse me for being nosy, but, why?
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Heruka

Post by Heruka »

oracles and demons of tibet, by rene de nebesky and wojkowitz
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Heruka wrote:oracles and demons of tibet, by rene de nebesky and wojkowitz

right.
Dharmaswede

Post by Dharmaswede »

gregkavarnos wrote:
Many reasons, but at this point mainly because I have an interest in Machik's teachings – and I think it is then pertinent to mull over what the terms demons and demonic denotate. Furthermore, as an absolute beginner I find it intriguing that there is not consensus among some senior Western practitioners as to whether demons are conventionally real, i.e. 'real' entities, or not.

Best Regards,

Jens
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Dharmaswede wrote:
gregkavarnos wrote:
Many reasons, but at this point mainly because I have an interest in Machik's teachings – and I think it is then pertinent to mull over what the terms demons and demonic denotate. Furthermore, as an absolute beginner I find it intriguing that there is not consensus among some senior Western practitioners as to whether demons are conventionally real, i.e. 'real' entities, or not.

Best Regards,

Jens
This is because those that negate the conventional existence of the genii locorum in general are not understanding how the six realms actually function.

For the most part, the experiential realm of gods and demons is the same as ours, but it is cognitively closed to most human beings.

Those people who negate the existence of such non-human beings completely are like ants on a leaf arguing about whether humans exist or not.

N
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Ha! That's funny.

Actually, you won't get consensus about whether ANYTHING or ANYONE exists conventionally or not, so demons are just another example.

:smile:

I'm just clowning a bit.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
orgyen jigmed

Post by orgyen jigmed »

Namdrol wrote:

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Jens

the book "Gods and Demons of Tibet".
Can anyone provide me with the author's and publisher's name of "Gods and Demons of Tibet" ?
"If the aspiration for enlightenment is your motivation in coming to see me, there is no remedy except meditative practice. I, too, will only practice." - Zurpoche Sakya Jungne
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

someone did provide author's name....already.
rene de nebesky and wojkowitz

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
orgyen jigmed

Post by orgyen jigmed »

conebeckham wrote:someone did provide author's name....already.
rene de nebesky and wojkowitz
So it can be assumed that Namdrol was refering to the classic book: 'Oracles and Demons of Tibet'. Sorry for my misunderstanding...
"If the aspiration for enlightenment is your motivation in coming to see me, there is no remedy except meditative practice. I, too, will only practice." - Zurpoche Sakya Jungne
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

No prob, and yes, that's the actual title. "Oracles," not "Gods," that is....

Return to “Nyingma”