Remember when...

A place for discussion of current events. Buddhist news would be particularly appreciated.

Remember when...

Postby Malcolm » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:13 pm

...teachers, public employees, Planned Parenthood, NPR and PBS crashed the stock market, wiped out half of our 401Ks, took trillions in TARP money, spilled oil in the Gulf of Mexico, gave themselves billions in bonuses, and paid no taxes?
Yeah, me neither.
(If you're inclined to agree, re-post, please.)
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://atikosha.org
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Though there are infinite liberating gateways of Dharma,
there are none not included in the dimension of the knowledge of the Great Perfection.

-- Buddha Samantabhadri
Malcolm

Re: Remember when...

Postby Indrajala » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:36 pm

...teachers, public employees, Planned Parenthood, NPR and PBS crashed the stock market, wiped out half of our 401Ks, took trillions in TARP money, spilled oil in the Gulf of Mexico, gave themselves billions in bonuses, and paid no taxes?
Yeah, me neither.

I'm honestly shocked looking at the state of affairs in America.

I'm just a canuck in Japan, but whatever happens in the US and Wall Street either directly or indirectly affects me and most of humanity, so I take an interest and concern in what goes on in America.

I really wish common Americans would take their country back from the crooks running the joint.
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog)
Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog)
Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog)
Dharma Depository (Site)

"Hui gives me no assistance. There is nothing that I say in which he does not delight." -Confucius
Indrajala

Postby Mr. G » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:44 pm

Yeah, me neither.

Relevant:

How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Postby Jikan » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:59 pm

Huseng wrote:I really wish common Americans would take their country back from the crooks running the joint.

Some of us are working on it. There's resistance and a lot of confusion. Confusion's profitable, you know. Here's one example:

*hype up the present state of affairs as the End of the Republic

*hype up gold bullion as the only safe investment in Uncertain Times

*Segue into a pitch for gold bullion.

http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/wp-content ... nBeck4.jpg

*Big profits without having to steal underpants, at the risk of the public good. (Is it ever ethical to fleece the elderly and emotionally-vulnerable for a quick buck?)
Need help getting on retreat? Want to support others in practice? Pay the Dana for Dharma forum a visit...

viewtopic.php?f=114&t=13727
Jikan
Site Admin

Postby conebeckham » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:15 pm

Yeah, NPR was covering the whole "Get (back) on the Gold Standard" Thing a few weeks back......amazing.
May any merit generated by on-line discussion
Be dedicated to the Ultimate Benefit of All Sentient Beings.
conebeckham

Postby Mr. G » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:18 pm

How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Postby Heruka » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:41 am

Namdrol wrote:...teachers, public employees, Planned Parenthood, NPR and PBS crashed the stock market, wiped out half of our 401Ks, took trillions in TARP money, spilled oil in the Gulf of Mexico, gave themselves billions in bonuses, and paid no taxes?
Yeah, me neither.

Heruka

Postby Indrajala » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:28 am

Trends forecaster Gerald Celente is gravely concerned that the next great world war has already begun.

Take a few minutes to watch this. He generally refers to present leadership as losers.
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog)
Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog)
Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog)
Dharma Depository (Site)

"Hui gives me no assistance. There is nothing that I say in which he does not delight." -Confucius
Indrajala

Postby zengammon » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:06 pm

Namdrol wrote:...teachers, public employees, Planned Parenthood, NPR and PBS crashed the stock market, wiped out half of our 401Ks, took trillions in TARP money, spilled oil in the Gulf of Mexico, gave themselves billions in bonuses, and paid no taxes?
Yeah, me neither.

Right.

What I do remember is friends being unhappy with me because I would not vote for Kerry in 2004 (my first abstinence since 1972). My response was that it was obvious a big crash was coming from all directions, but that people wouldn't admit it yet--and Kerry couldn't stop it. So, it would have to happen, I thought, and then in 2008 the country would have to move in a new direction--and be ready for it. It turns out I was just as naive as the folks who couldn't see the disaster coming.

john
zengammon

Return to News & Current Events