Tulku Urgyen

heart

Tulku Urgyen

Post by heart »

"try to be undistracted continuously throughout the day and the rest of the time then he can guarantee you that within 15 years you will awaken, be fully awakened, be fully realized, there’s no doubt about that, but that means continuous practice, not just once in a while and then expect something special will happen."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMPj45_rJwI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://wearebuddhamind.blogspot.com/200 ... l?spref=fb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Mariusz

Re: Tulku Urgyen

Post by Mariusz »

heart wrote:"try to be undistracted continuously throughout the day and the rest of the time then he can guarantee you that within 15 years you will awaken, be fully awakened, be fully realized, there’s no doubt about that, but that means continuous practice, not just once in a while and then expect something special will happen."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMPj45_rJwI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://wearebuddhamind.blogspot.com/200 ... l?spref=fb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

/magnus
"In the system of the New Schools, there are first of all the four tantras of Kriya Tantra, Charya Tantra, Yoga Tantra, and Anuttara Yoga Tantra. The fourth is divided into Father Anuttara Tantra, Mother Anuttara Tantra and Nondual Anuttara Tantra. This correspond exactly to the structure of the Old School, Nyingma, in that father tantra of Anuttara is Mahayoga, mother tantra is Anu yoga and the nondual tantra is Ati Yoga, [Dzogchen]. However, there are no explicit teachings on Togal in Anuttara. That is the main difference, whereas it is taught that there is no difference whatsoever between "essence Mahamudra" and Dzogchen in meaning - only in terminology."

Khenpo Tsultrim Gyamtso Rinpoche also always stated Mahamudra and Dzogchen are the same but only different terminology, as I remeber the meetings with Him. What about the III Karmapa Rangjung Dorje, The Initial Master of The Karma Nyinthig. Is He not stated the same?

As I understad, all is about continuous practice, whatever Clear light in Highest Yoga Tantra, Ordinary Mind in Mahamudra or Rigpa in Dzogchen is presented evidently and can be recognized immediately and one will practice with this recognition further.
tamdrin

Post by tamdrin »

Tulku Urgyen was the real deal...
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Mariusz wrote: "In the system of the New Schools, there are first of all the four tantras of Kriya Tantra, Charya Tantra, Yoga Tantra, and Anuttara Yoga Tantra. The fourth is divided into Father Anuttara Tantra, Mother Anuttara Tantra and Nondual Anuttara Tantra. This correspond exactly to the structure of the Old School, Nyingma, in that father tantra of Anuttara is Mahayoga, mother tantra is Anu yoga and the nondual tantra is Ati Yoga, [Dzogchen].

This quite arguable. Chogyal Namkhai Norbu explains that this equation of the three inner tantras with father, mother and non-dual tantra was a political gesture. He definitely does not agree with this sort of statement.

The fact is that Longchenpa, etc. all treat HYT as "outer tantra".

N
Josef

Post by Josef »

Namdrol wrote:
Mariusz wrote: "In the system of the New Schools, there are first of all the four tantras of Kriya Tantra, Charya Tantra, Yoga Tantra, and Anuttara Yoga Tantra. The fourth is divided into Father Anuttara Tantra, Mother Anuttara Tantra and Nondual Anuttara Tantra. This correspond exactly to the structure of the Old School, Nyingma, in that father tantra of Anuttara is Mahayoga, mother tantra is Anu yoga and the nondual tantra is Ati Yoga, [Dzogchen].

This quite arguable. Chogyal Namkhai Norbu explains that this equation of the three inner tantras with father, mother and non-dual tantra was a political gesture. He definitely does not agree with this sort of statement.

N
They are practically different as well. Mother Tantra in the Sarma systems is practiced quite different from Anuyoga in my experience.
The most obvious difference is the kyerim approach of the two systems.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Pero

Post by Pero »

Namdrol wrote:The fact is that Longchenpa, etc. all treat HYT as "outer tantra".
Really? Outer as in kriya, charya and yoga? Why is that?
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Mariusz

Post by Mariusz »

Namdrol wrote: This quite arguable. Chogyal Namkhai Norbu explains that this equation of the three inner tantras with father, mother and non-dual tantra was a political gesture. He definitely does not agree with this sort of statement.

N
Longchenpa’s [Great Chariot ] states:
Mahayoga, the father tantra, the nature of method [related to] appearance,
[is taught] to benefit those whose strongest emotional affliction
is aversion and who are subject to excessive discursiveness.
Anuyoga, the mother tantra, the wisdom of the completion phase
[related to] the essential reality of emptiness, [is taught] to benefit
those whose strongest emotional affliction is desire and who delight
in stillness of mind.
Atiyoga, the nature of nonduality, [is taught] to benefit those
whose strongest emotional affliction is delusion and who are tarnished
by [attachment to] effort.25 The Great Array states:26
The generation phase is for minds elevated [with many
concepts];
The completion phase, for minds with attachment [to the
experience of bliss];
And the great perfection, for the most secret and supreme.

Furthermore, Longchenpa’s
Finding Comfort and Ease in the Nature of Mind states:
Mahayoga emphasizes winds and the methods of the generation
phase.
Anuyoga emphasizes the constituent [of bliss] and the wisdom of
the completion phase;
Atiyoga emphasizes pristine awareness from which nothing is
separate.

The Treasury of Knowledge Book Six, Part Four: Systems of Buddhist Tantra The Indestructible Way of Secret Mantra. page 308
Paul

Post by Paul »

tamdrin wrote:Tulku Urgyen was the real deal...
Namdrol was the person that first piqued my interest in Dzogchen via E-Sangha. Tulku Urgyen was the great being that sealed it for me as a practice I wanted to devote myself to, and his sons have been kind enough to teach it to me.

He was an incredible being and I wish I'd met him in person. But we have his sons who now spread Dzogchen and Mahamudra in their own unique ways, but with a massive degree of influence from Tulku Urgyen's style. Then there's his incredible array of friends, students and teachers such as Dilgo Khyenste Rinpoche and Erik Kunsang.

From that interview, the most important part for me is the advice to practice ALL THE TIME.

Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
heart

Post by heart »

Namdrol wrote:

N
Well Tulku Urgyen wouldn't get along with a lot of things ChNN says. Still, the got along very fine and ChNN used to visit Tulku Urgyen when he was in Kathmandu. Interesting, no?

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Josef

Post by Josef »

Hayagriva wrote:
Namdrol was the person that first piqued my interest in Dzogchen via E-Sangha. Tulku Urgyen was the great being that sealed it for me as a practice I wanted to devote myself to, and his sons have been kind enough to teach it to me.

He was an incredible being and I wish I'd met him in person. But we have his sons who now spread Dzogchen and Mahamudra in their own unique ways, but with a massive degree of influence from Tulku Urgyen's style. Then there's his incredible array of friends, students and teachers such as Dilgo Khyenste Rinpoche and Erik Kunsang.

From that interview, the most important part for me is the advice to practice ALL THE TIME.

Great photograph.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Paul

Post by Paul »

Nangwa wrote:
Hayagriva wrote:

Great photograph.
It always reminds me of this: http://yonkom.blogspot.com/2007/05/inst ... staff.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
tamdrin

Post by tamdrin »

Namdrol wrote: The fact is that Longchenpa, etc. all treat HYT as "outer tantra".

N

This is not really true. Longchempa said for Sarma any empowerment that contains the full 4 empowerments is HYT as opposed to lower tantra which only has 1 or 2 empowerments I think. Also that if the deity is practiced in yabyum it is HYT solo deities are lower tantra. Also I think that maybe in Sakya and Gelugpa they don't accept the pointing out of the "4rth empowerment" so their understanding of it may be different than the Kagyu. But I am not sure on that.
username

Post by username »

As Kyabje Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche used to say he made many mistakes and often the Karmapa would correct him before acting or was proven right if he had disagreed and it was too late after the fact. Everything is well. We might go through nervous periods from time to time but should publicly keep major samayas as they can't be undone later when regretful, specially with respect to major living tertons sent by Guru Rinpoche.
Dzogchen masters I know say: 1)Buddhist religion essence is Dzogchen 2)Religions are positive by intent/fruit 3)Any method's OK unless: breaking Dzogchen vows, mixed as syncretic (Milanese Soup) 4)Don't join mandalas of opponents of Dalai Lama/Padmasambhava: False Deity inventors by encouraging victims 5)Don't debate Ati with others 6)Don't discuss Ati practices online 7) A master told his old disciple: no one's to discuss his teaching with some others on a former forum nor mention him. Publicity's OK, questions are asked from masters/set teachers in person/email/non-public forums~Best wishes
heart

Post by heart »

Hayagriva wrote:
Agreed, it is. Tulku Urgyen was an incredible practitioner not an intellectual.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

Mariusz

Post by Mariusz »

tamdrin wrote:
Namdrol wrote: The fact is that Longchenpa, etc. all treat HYT as "outer tantra".

N

This is not really true. Longchempa said for Sarma any empowerment that contains the full 4 empowerments is HYT as opposed to lower tantra which only has 1 or 2 empowerments I think. Also that if the deity is practiced in yabyum it is HYT solo deities are lower tantra. Also I think that maybe in Sakya and Gelugpa they don't accept the pointing out of the "4rth empowerment" so their understanding of it may be different than the Kagyu. But I am not sure on that.
Rime Initiator Kongtrul the Great wrote in The Treasury of Knowledge Book Six, Part Four: Systems of Buddhist Tantra The Indestructible Way of Secret Mantra. page 338

In particular, in accordance with the [atiyoga] division of esoteric instructions,
there are four initiations as stated in the Naturally Present Perfection:
The elaborate, unelaborate,
The very unelaborate, and utterly unelaborate:
Four initiations in four aspects
Effect the ripening of the fortunate.
The four initiations, in sequence, purify the obscurations of body, speech,
and mind, and the obscurations to omniscience; and establish the potencies
for awakened body, speech, and mind, and naturally present luminous clarity.
They empower [the student] in the four practices: the phase of generation,
meditation on inner heat, and meditation on the union of bliss and
emptiness (through which are realized the pristine awareness of primordial
purity), and the practice to directly experience the state of spontaneous
perfection, respectively.
These initiations represent four divisions within the higher initiation
[the fourth]. Hence, although in number they are equal to the common
initiations of highest yoga tantra, one should understand that their meaning
is different.
Mariusz

Post by Mariusz »

More on analogies between Dzogchen of 9 yanas and HYT. As for my later post the note 25 of the book said:

Atiyoga is taught to practitioners of mahayoga and anuyoga who are attached to
effort and striving toward a goal; it is the way to self-liberate that attachment.
What is set forth in this citation is not a direct relationship between mahayoga,
anuyoga, and atiyoga and the mother tantra, father tantra, and nondual tantra of the
new schools but is instead a simple analogy: Just as father tantra emphasizes the phase of
generation, and mother tantra, the phase of completion, mahayoga emphasizes the phase
of generation, anuyoga, the phase of completion, and so on.

I have never found such thing as "Dzogchen outside 9 yanas". All teachings of Buddhism are included in 9 yanas. For me all teachings of Buddhism should be taken as a whole.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Mariusz wrote:More on analogies between Dzogchen of 9 yanas and HYT. As for my later post the note 25 of the book said:

Atiyoga is taught to practitioners of mahayoga and anuyoga who are attached to
effort and striving toward a goal; it is the way to self-liberate that attachment.
What is set forth in this citation is not a direct relationship between mahayoga,
anuyoga, and atiyoga and the mother tantra, father tantra, and nondual tantra of the
new schools but is instead a simple analogy: Just as father tantra emphasizes the phase of
generation, and mother tantra, the phase of completion, mahayoga emphasizes the phase
of generation, anuyoga, the phase of completion, and so on.

I have never found such thing as "Dzogchen outside 9 yanas". All teachings of Buddhism are included in 9 yanas. For me all teachings of Buddhism should be taken as a whole.
Then you will be awfully surprised when you read the texts I have read.

N
Mariusz

Post by Mariusz »

Namdrol wrote: Then you will be awfully surprised when you read the texts I have read.

N
:smile: What texts?
narraboth

Post by narraboth »

heart wrote: Well Tulku Urgyen wouldn't get along with a lot of things ChNN says. Still, the got along very fine and ChNN used to visit Tulku Urgyen when he was in Kathmandu. Interesting, no?

/magnus
Many masters would not agree things Namkhai Norbu rinpoche said, but they didn't criticise him. (Some did though)
narraboth

Post by narraboth »

N
could you please qoute the source?

Return to “Dzogchen”