Britain to blame for worlds troubles

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Huseng
Former staff member

Re: Britain to blame for worlds troubles

Post by Huseng »

If you look back a few more centuries there were other empires which sparked similar conflicts and problems in the world. Some of those issues are still ongoing. Take for example the whole issue of Tibet. When Kublai Khan conquered China Tibet became a kind of satellite state for various reasons (but not because Song China controlled it beforehand). The Chinese try to justify their invasion of Tibet saying it was Chinese all along because some maniac Mongolian warlord, who also conquered Song China and settled in China, also partially controlled Tibet. In the Chinese vision of history Kublai Khan is as Chinese as Maozedong.

Basically if you look back in history it isn't just Britain or Europe -- there were plenty of emotionally retarded maniac leaders who utilized violence for the purposes of statecraft and empire building. The results of their actions are still felt today.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

KeithBC wrote:To be fair, it wasn't just the Brits. All the European nations were competing to build the biggest empire. The fact that the British won the contest may make them a little guiltier than the others, but they all were doing the same thing.
So all European nations should take resposibility for their actions and seek reconciliation with the people they colonised then. Actually it is positive to see the British taking the initiative.
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
KwanSeum

Post by KwanSeum »

Namdrol wrote:
KwanSeum wrote:This is a no-brainer for anyone who has studied history.
Perhaps, but you have not outlined if you agree or dissagree or why. Also, are we to assume you have studied history or was it an off the cuff remark?
justsit

Post by justsit »

Greed, anger, and ignorance are responsible for the world's troubles. What are nations, after all, but people?
Rael

Post by Rael »

I have this thought that has festered in my mind for some time.....by the by there is a lot of festering going on in there....just so ya know...

I think the real reason ...oh boy this is going to sound so insulting...so first let me explain.....

The Maoist Chinese viewed Tibet as some throw back to ancient shamanistic out dated primitive peoples....yes / no...

or used it as an excuse to do their bidding...yes / no????

not unlike the foreign invaders destroying the world's aboriginal peoples and stealing their land.....

so the great america that Young Kundun was writing to for aid.... realized their position and backed off due to being embarrassed ...

the western world could not be hypocritical , from their standpoint and view, and say it was ok for them kill off millions for centuries in empire building...but it is not ok for the chinese....that and the prejudice Christian america has towards anyone who does not accept Jesus as their Saviour....

ok back to cleaning up some festers....
Love Love Love
Caz

Post by Caz »

justsit wrote:Greed, anger, and ignorance are responsible for the world's troubles. What are nations, after all, but people?
:good:

Blame as always lays with delusion !
Abandoning Dharma is, in the final analysis, disparaging the Hinayana because of the Mahayana; favoring the Hinayana on account of the Mahayana; playing off sutra against tantra; playing off the four classes of the tantras against each other; favoring one of the Tibetan schools—the Sakya, Gelug, Kagyu, or Nyingma—and disparaging the rest; and so on. In other words, we abandon Dharma any time we favor our own tenets and disparage the rest.

Liberation in the Palm of your hand~Kyabje Pabongkha Rinpoche.
cooran

Post by cooran »

gregkavarnos wrote:
KeithBC wrote:To be fair, it wasn't just the Brits. All the European nations were competing to build the biggest empire. The fact that the British won the contest may make them a little guiltier than the others, but they all were doing the same thing.
So all European nations should take resposibility for their actions and seek reconciliation with the people they colonised then. Actually it is positive to see the British taking the initiative.
Hello Greg,

Not just Europeans.
Just a couple of quick selections:
America: Colonial Power
http://nbleadership.com/blog1/2011/03/1 ... ial-power/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Obama: “US Wasn’t Born A Colonial Power” ¬ the new Britain??
http://www.theatlanticright.com/2009/01 ... ial-power/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

cooran wrote:Hello Greg,

Not just Europeans.
Just a couple of quick selections:
America: Colonial Power
http://nbleadership.com/blog1/2011/03/1 ... ial-power/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Obama: “US Wasn’t Born A Colonial Power” ¬ the new Britain??
http://www.theatlanticright.com/2009/01 ... ial-power/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
Dear Cooran, I am well aware of all these situations. I believe that you will not find a single nation-state that has not engaged in colonisation, expansive/agressive wars, massacres, opression, genocide, etc... Nation states thrive on these activities.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

gregkavarnos wrote:I believe that you will not find a single nation-state that has not engaged in colonisation, expansive/agressive wars, massacres, opression, genocide, etc... Nation states thrive on these activities.
It depends on how far back in time you go. Since you mentioned nation-state we are limited to the 1600's. Therefore Iceland and Finland come to mind. The Hawaiian people after Kamehameha I (after his massacres uniting the Hawaiian islands they basically became pacifists) - so after 1810.

There has been some research on this topic and there are some peoples who have never been to war or committed genocide in modern times (the past few centuries).

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Rael

Post by Rael »

kirtu wrote:
gregkavarnos wrote:I believe that you will not find a single nation-state that has not engaged in colonisation, expansive/agressive wars, massacres, opression, genocide, etc... Nation states thrive on these activities.
It depends on how far back in time you go. Since you mentioned nation-state we are limited to the 1600's. Therefore Iceland and Finland come to mind. The Hawaiian people after Kamehameha I (after his massacres uniting the Hawaiian islands they basically became pacifists) - so after 1810.

There has been some research on this topic and there are some peoples who have never been to war or committed genocide in modern times (the past few centuries).

Kirt
I saw this thing about the people of Malta...if you go way back they never made a weapon in order to harm another human being...they made them fro hunting...but never really thought of killing other people with it...

some discovery program that i recall...it was pretty cool...too bad the memory is a lil foggy...maybe someone could talk about it...

Arnold Toynbee http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnold_J._Toynbee" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

said that under king Ashoka and after his death that huge region of the world experienced the longest lasting peace....300 hundred years...due to buddhism...
Love Love Love

Return to “Lounge”