Restricted books

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
tamdrin

Re: Restricted books

Post by tamdrin »

Kirt,
I assumed you were being sarcastic when you said "he was just some dude" but are you kidding me? You havn't read Dudjom Lingpa's Vajra Essence Tantra have you... The guy was amazing... he wasn't an ordinary
bloke
narraboth

Post by narraboth »

kirtu wrote:
narraboth wrote:
kirtu wrote:
That's true. Dudjom Rinpoche designated this as a restricted text. But he was just some 19th century Tibetan village dude out in the middle of nowhere.
you sure you know what you are talking about?
What part? Dudjom Lingpa was illiterate, was a village terton, was out in the middle of nowhere for Tibet (okay maybe not totally nowhere but sort of somewhere around Dege and Nangchen and today they aren't even dots on a map [which reminds me - an ethno-political/cultural map of 19th century Tibet would be really useful]).
and when you said 'can't be too much in there', were you sarcastic or???
Amongst native English speakers the sarcasm is very obvious taken as a whole. Even to borderline Aspergers people like me.

I think the power of the text is overwhelming and it is clear by at least the second chapter that there is really a whole lot here going on that just a record of stories of visions and dreams (at least not ordinary visions or dreams).

Kirt
I guessed so but was not 100% sure, maybe because I am not English native speaker obviously.

(Why's non-English native speaker issue being so emphasized today? (see Namdrol's another post)
I know it might be annoying for you guys to understand us sometimes, but please appreciate that we try hard.
and please be understanding that there are many non-native speakers of English reading this forum)

In your sense there are too many terton chenpo could be out of nowhere :)
Last edited by narraboth on Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

tamdrin wrote:Kirt,
I assumed you were being sarcastic when you said "he was just some dude" but are you kidding me? You havn't read Dudjom Lingpa's Vajra Essence Tantra have you... The guy was amazing... he wasn't an ordinary
bloke
The only thing I've read from Dudjom Lingpa is BWOM. I've never read anything about him directly either. Just stories from teachers.

What? You mean he wasn't an ordinary guy? Imagine that ....

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
narraboth

Post by narraboth »

kirtu wrote:
bloke
The only thing I've read from Dudjom Lingpa is BWOM. I've never read anything about him directly either. Just stories from teachers.

Kirt
There's a Tratung Dudjom Lingpa autobiography available, well, in Chinese. Very interesting.
(Now I can be glad of being a non-native English speaker)
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

kirtu wrote: Dudjom Rinpoche designated this as a restricted text. But he was just some 19th century Tibetan village dude out in the middle of nowhere.
kirtu wrote:
narraboth wrote: and when you said 'can't be too much in there', were you sarcastic or???
Amongst native English speakers the sarcasm is very obvious taken as a whole. Even to borderline Aspergers people like me.
narraboth wrote: I guessed so but was not 100% sure, maybe because I am not English native speaker obviously.
narraboth wrote: I know it might be annoying for you guys to understand us sometimes, but please appreciate that we try hard.
and please be understanding that there are many non-native speakers of English reading this forum)
Well under one definition of native english speaker I don't qualify but it's the language I am most fluent in. And it would have been unfair for me to slack off in ESL classes in school esp. since I lost the first language I spoke as a young boy until I was in my 20's.
In your sense there are too many terton chenpo could be out of nowhere :)
Entirely possible. I am uncertain about people claiming to be tertons. But terton activity is still clearly happening.

As for my sarcasm, while Namdrol is certainly correct that statements are exaggerated and there is some fanaticism involved in some views regarding restricted texts Buddhism and Tibetan Buddhism are living systems and the wisdom of the masters is still very much active. If Dudjom Lingpa declared this to be a restricted text he had a good reason and we should at least consider his view on the matter as best we can.

Similarly Tulku Urygen and his sons are kind of wild men for their time as their only consideration is the liberation and enlightenment of beings. If one of them had told me to go read it I'd do it. Padmasambhava manifests in our world in the flesh through lamas at these levels.

Kirt
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

narraboth wrote: There's a Tratung Dudjom Lingpa autobiography available, well, in Chinese. Very interesting.
(Now I can be glad of being a non-native English speaker)
Well you should translate it for the English speaking world. Maybe there's a story about BWOM.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
heart

Post by heart »

I assumed you were being sarcastic when you said "he was just some dude" but are you kidding me? You havn't read Dudjom Lingpa's Vajra Essence Tantra have you... The guy was amazing... he wasn't an ordinary bloke
Were do you order that book and how it is restricted tamdrin?

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Josef

Post by Josef »

kirtu wrote:
bloke

Kirt
Alan Wallace translated sections of Dudjom Lingpa's Vajra Essence. The book is called Stilling the Mind and Wisdom Publications is releasing it in July.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Josef

Post by Josef »

heart wrote:
I assumed you were being sarcastic when you said "he was just some dude" but are you kidding me? You havn't read Dudjom Lingpa's Vajra Essence Tantra have you... The guy was amazing... he wasn't an ordinary bloke
Were do you order that book and how it is restricted tamdrin?

/magnus
You can get the Tibetan text through Vimala Treasures I believe.
Any restrictions through them are usually based upon ones own teacher etc.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
tamdrin

Post by tamdrin »

Hi Heart,
Yes I am glad to hear that it is being published! Scarily enough I have seen parts of it are published by the controversial group (i think they are) american buddha, and can be found by doing a google. search.. Alan Wallace is big into it yes and he has done the translation.. He said this text has everything one would need to achieve the rainbow body.
Pero

Post by Pero »

kirtu wrote:If Dudjom Lingpa declared this to be a restricted text he had a good reason and we should at least consider his view on the matter as best we can.
From memory since I don't have the book with me, all it says is that it's recommended to receive the lung and teachings for it. If what you say is true though, then it would be kind of stupid to put it on Amazon, don't you think?
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

tamdrin wrote:Hi Heart,
Yes I am glad to hear that it is being published! Scarily enough I have seen parts of it are published by the controversial group (i think they are) american buddha, and can be found by doing a google. search.. Alan Wallace is big into it yes and he has done the translation.. He said this text has everything one would need to achieve the rainbow body.

Yes, it does -- so do a thousand others.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Pero wrote:
kirtu wrote:If Dudjom Lingpa declared this to be a restricted text he had a good reason and we should at least consider his view on the matter as best we can.
From memory since I don't have the book with me, all it says is that it's recommended to receive the lung and teachings for it. If what you say is true though, then it would be kind of stupid to put it on Amazon, don't you think?
Well there are different takes on this as we have been traipsing through. In general many of the masters have decided that it is better to get this stuff out there so that people with a karmic connection can benefit. If you have no connection with the text at all you won't even see it. If you have some slight connection then you might come across it. If you have a deep connection then you might buy it and understand a little of it. And then notice the line about just keeping in on the shrine or revered until you can get the empowerment and some teaching on it.

Talk about Dudjom Lingpa said this or that are for people already to some extent deeply and actively involved on the path.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Namdrol wrote:

Then "let 1000 rainbow bodies bloom!" to paraphrase another text. "Why aren't they blooming?" was asked of Wallace himself in an interview a while ago.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Pero

Post by Pero »

kirtu wrote: And then notice the line about just keeping in on the shrine or revered until you can get the empowerment and some teaching on it.
Ah yes, I remember that. I guess it's probably better I don't comment.
Talk about Dudjom Lingpa said this or that are for people already to some extent deeply and actively involved on the path.
What? I don't understand.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
heart

Post by heart »

Nangwa wrote:
kirtu wrote:
bloke

Kirt
Alan Wallace translated sections of Dudjom Lingpa's Vajra Essence. The book is called Stilling the Mind and Wisdom Publications is releasing it in July.
I think he translated the whole thing, its been available on american buddha for years but I hesitate getting things from samaya breakers.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Josef

Post by Josef »

heart wrote: Alan Wallace translated sections of Dudjom Lingpa's Vajra Essence. The book is called Stilling the Mind and Wisdom Publications is releasing it in July.
I think he translated the whole thing, its been available on american buddha for years but I hesitate getting things from samaya breakers.

/magnus[/quote]
He may have.
But I know that the public edition that Wisdom is publishing is not the text in its entirety. Its still a significant volume though.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

kirtu wrote:
Namdrol wrote:

Then "let 1000 rainbow bodies bloom!" to paraphrase another text. "Why aren't they blooming?" was asked of Wallace himself in an interview a while ago.

Kirt

People don't practice.
tamdrin

Post by tamdrin »

some people practice but according to Wallace's reading of the Buddhist scriptures in general it is important to cultivate shamatha up to and approaching the first dhyana to be succesful in the other practices in general and this level of concentration is not easy to achieve,
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

tamdrin wrote:some people practice but according to Wallace's reading of the Buddhist scriptures in general it is important to cultivate shamatha up to and approaching the first dhyana to be succesful in the other practices in general and this level of concentration is not easy to achieve,

There is shamatha and then there is shamatha.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”