Bikram Yoga

A forum for all questions about Tibetan Medicine. No more posting in this forum until further notice.
Mr. G

Bikram Yoga

Post by Mr. G »

I'm signing up for Bikram yoga classes and was wondering if there are health issues from a Tibetan Medical perspective in doing asanas in a room heated to 105°F (≈ 40.6°C) with a humidity of 40%. Does the heat really make this form of yoga superior to other forms of yogas like hatha or ashtangha? Are there potential health issues that could arise if the temperature of the room is that high?
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
plwk

Re: Bikram Yoga

Post by plwk »

Like fainting spells?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

mr. gordo wrote:I'm signing up for Bikram yoga classes and was wondering if there are health issues from a Tibetan Medical perspective in doing asanas in a room heated to 105°F (≈ 40.6°C) with a humidity of 40%. Does the heat really make this form of yoga superior to other forms of yogas like hatha or ashtangha? Are there potential health issues that could arise if the temperature of the room is that high?
Yes, Bikram can be bad for you it you have a pitta constitution.

The heat does not make it superior other forms of yoga.

If you are in new york, I would recommend Yoga Sutra.
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

plwk wrote:Like fainting spells?
I was reading that about Bikram practitioners too.
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Namdrol wrote:
mr. gordo wrote:I'm signing up for Bikram yoga classes and was wondering if there are health issues from a Tibetan Medical perspective in doing asanas in a room heated to 105°F (≈ 40.6°C) with a humidity of 40%. Does the heat really make this form of yoga superior to other forms of yogas like hatha or ashtangha? Are there potential health issues that could arise if the temperature of the room is that high?

Thanks Namdrol.
Oh, the Krishnamacharya Lineage! I had no idea this was being taught in NY! It's in the city, but I've done similar treks and it looks worth it. The Bikram school is like 15 minutes away from me...Yoga Sutra is like 90 minutes.
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

mr. gordo wrote:
Namdrol wrote:

Thanks Namdrol.
Oh, the Krishnamacharya Lineage! I had no idea this was being taught in NY! It's in the city, but I've done similar treks and it looks worth it. The Bikram school is like 15 minutes away from me...Yoga Sutra is like 90 minutes.
Yoga sutra is better. More diverse and they invite Shrivasta Ramaswami, a master I would like very much to learn from.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

http://motherjones.com/politics/2005/03/money-pose" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Yeah, I read a couple of blog posts and articles from Yoga Dork. I really don't care for the way he sues his ex-instructors. Not cool.
Namdrol wrote:Yoga sutra is better. More diverse and they invite Shrivasta Ramaswami, a master I would like very much to learn from.
Yes, he's amazing. Krishnamacharya's grandson is doing a seminar next month. Also one of the Krishnamacharya instructors provides a personalized yoga practice over three private sessions too which is pretty neat.
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Namdrol, I saw this:

http://www.kripalu.org/program/view/YY- ... _tradition" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yantra Yoga is designed to help you awaken fully to your Buddha nature through the use of physical postures (asana), breath-control exercises (pranayama), and meditative practices. Introduced to Tibet by the Mahasiddha Virupa in the tenth century, the practice of Yantra Yoga can help reduce your stress, improve your health, and deepen your meditative experience through techniques that positively affect your body and mind.

This highly experiential workshop will be led by Lama Migmar Tseten of Harvard University, and David Magone, the founder of PranaVayu Yoga. You will take part in a traditional Yantra Yoga initiation ceremony and learn to work directly with the body’s energy systems by using Yantra Yoga postures, breathing exercises, and mantras.

Yantra Yoga was traditionally considered a secret teaching, offered to initiates of Vajrayana Buddhism only after many years of intensive preparation and meditation. For this reason, it has rarely been offered in the West. Given the nature of these teachings, at least one full year of yoga experience is required to participate.
Is this practice taken out of Lam Dre? Do you know if they will be going over or reviewing Kumbhaka (vase breathing)?
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

mr. gordo wrote:Namdrol, I saw this:

http://www.kripalu.org/program/view/YY- ... _tradition" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yantra Yoga is designed to help you awaken fully to your Buddha nature through the use of physical postures (asana), breath-control exercises (pranayama), and meditative practices. Introduced to Tibet by the Mahasiddha Virupa in the tenth century, the practice of Yantra Yoga can help reduce your stress, improve your health, and deepen your meditative experience through techniques that positively affect your body and mind.

This highly experiential workshop will be led by Lama Migmar Tseten of Harvard University, and David Magone, the founder of PranaVayu Yoga. You will take part in a traditional Yantra Yoga initiation ceremony and learn to work directly with the body’s energy systems by using Yantra Yoga postures, breathing exercises, and mantras.

Yantra Yoga was traditionally considered a secret teaching, offered to initiates of Vajrayana Buddhism only after many years of intensive preparation and meditation. For this reason, it has rarely been offered in the West. Given the nature of these teachings, at least one full year of yoga experience is required to participate.
Is this practice taken out of Lam Dre? Do you know if they will be going over or reviewing Kumbhaka (vase breathing)?

Yes, it is from Lamdre -- I translated the basic texts for this with Lama Migmar.

Yes, it has pranayāma. They should be going over khumbhaka.
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Very cool. Thanks!
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Here's the scathing 60 minute documentary on Hulu (with ads unfortunately) - Yoga Inc.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/134936/yoga-inc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
gnegirl

Post by gnegirl »

Someone else told me Bikram was bad for a pitta, which makes sense.... if one has enuf heat on a normal basis, you don't have to add any more!
"Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise." --Surangama Sutra

Phenomenon, vast as space, dharmata is your base, arising and falling like ocean tide cycles, why do i cling to your illusion of unceasing changlessness?

Return to “Tibetan Medicine”