north/east in tibetan

Looking for translations, or for help with translations and transliterations? This is the place.
devilyoudont

north/east in tibetan

Post by devilyoudont »

Short version: "Shang shog" or "shar shog", which means east in Classical Tibetan?

Long version: Take a look at pages 8 and 9 of the Chod practice on this page: http://www.zangthal.co.uk/files.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As you can see, it translates "shar shog dor je khan dro me" as "The vajra dakini of the east" and "shang shog le kyi khan dro me" as "The karma dakini of the east". Surely one of these should read "north", right?
Malcolm

Re: north/east in tibetan

Post by Malcolm »

devilyoudont wrote:Short version: "Shang shog" or "shar shog", which means east in Classical Tibetan?

Long version: Take a look at pages 8 and 9 of the Chod practice on this page: http://www.zangthal.co.uk/files.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As you can see, it translates "shar shog dor je khan dro me" as "The vajra dakini of the east" and "shang shog le kyi khan dro me" as "The karma dakini of the east". Surely one of these should read "north", right?

She just made a cut and paste error. Forgot to remove east and put north for karma dakini.
devilyoudont

Post by devilyoudont »

Thanks!

The language is Classical Tibetan, right? To be honest, I have no lama, initiation or knowledge regarding the Tibetan language. I know nothing about this stuff at all! :twothumbsup:
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

devilyoudont wrote:Thanks!

The language is Classical Tibetan, right? To be honest, I have no lama, initiation or knowledge regarding the Tibetan language. I know nothing about this stuff at all! :twothumbsup:

Yes. And, well, if you are interested in such things, then it is better to go about it the proper way.
devilyoudont

Post by devilyoudont »

A moment by moment Chod practice.

I reaffirm my bodhicitta aim.

In the body dwell the deities, ranged in a circle of consistency around the primordial wisdom fire. Through this fiercely blazing inferno rises the kundalini stake, transfixing and purifying ignorance and unawareness. These devatas, peaceful essences of ambrosia, fascinating holders of the mysteries and fierce guardians, the protectors of goodness, are ceaselessly and effortlessly engaged in enlightening activities, as if performing a holy fire sacrifice.

To visualize the same scenario from a different perspective, imagine the percepts arising before the senses as objects on a two dimensional plane, and your mind as another plane parallel to the first. Subtle cords join objects in the world of sense perception to buoys floating on the currents of your mind, creating eddies of suffering as the objects move around in uncountable, dizzying patterns. If this picture is easier to relate to than the first, it's because our minds are limited and perceptions impure. These "cords" connecting "objects" to, thereby allowing them to "cause", (though not really, of course) "eddies" are impure forms of the deities filtering through our limited perception, seemingly muddying our mental sphere, whereas in reality, they are pure beings transcending "mental" and "physical" phenomena who tirelessly enact enlightened activities in the boundless, unruffled ocean of consciousness for the benefit of all beings.

Because this is not recognized as the true state of affairs, beings are sunk in the swamp of unawareness. Since the "eddies" are part of these purifying activities, we can learn from them if we could first learn to embrace them without becoming complacent by identifying with them as Self or falling into various other errors. This can be done by transmuting and fundamentally purifying the "cords".

Reaffirm your bodhicitta aim, generate boundless compassion and unwavering motivation to lead all sentient beings to complete Buddhahood. Spread unhindered, detached, discriminating awareness for an unlimited extent in the ten directions and visualize your field of consciousness with the holy ones sitting in sacrifice. Lesser beings and demons will spontaneously arise of their own accord among this holy society. There are three non-sequential "steps" to purifying these beings and inviting them into the circle of consistency without having them lose their function, individuality or vitality.

First, visualize yourself within the blazing inferno which, like the alchemist's furnace, transmutes your mind and body into elixir. Demons of craving draw near and consume your charred flesh. Instantly raise the eternal iron stake, skewering the demon by entering his secret passage, piercing the heart and emerging from the crown. In an instant, the demon receives full awareness of you, the greater consciousness and the dharma realm around him. Thoroughly sated, it reappears as a being of pure bliss and takes its place in the circle.

Second, place yourself amid the wisdom flames, which transform you into the eternal mystery. Demons of ignorance are fascinated by your marvellous form and draw near. As the demon advances, the mystery recedes until the creature stands on the consecrated ground of purification. Raise the stake and thoroughly pierce it as before. Instantly, it is revealed as a holder of mysteries and joins the circle of consistency.

Lastly, the fierce flames transfigure you into a being of utterly ferocious, animal-headed body coupled with pure wisdom mind. Demons of insensible wrath target you. As soon as it touches you, pierce it and protrude from the crown. When excessively fierce, the sacred congregation converges on it like vultures flocking to flesh and subdues it by wrathfully devouring its ego. In the end, the heart is pierced and the cruel demon is purified into a fierce guardian of virtuous conduct.

Is this too wrathful? Have I strayed from the path? I know I haven't, not really, not yet, and yet I wish there was a Vajrayana temple around these parts anyway.
Last edited by devilyoudont on Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

devilyoudont wrote:A moment by moment Chod practice.

I reaffirm my bodhicitta aim.

Great. The rest is delusion.
devilyoudont

Post by devilyoudont »

Namdrol wrote:Great. The rest is delusion.
Thanks. :namaste:

PS. Can't you give me any hints at all?

PPS. It is completely metaphorical, you know, so "delusion" may not be the word for it. I'm trying to convey my meditative experiences in this language, in which I have no training.

PPS. So yes, the end result may indeed be delusional when other beings read it.

PPPS. But would it be out of the question to read it with a bit* of charity (by trying to see it from my non-standard, ignorant point of view) and correcting some of the most glaring misconceptions?

PPPPS. I can see you're still here, so maybe you're working on it. Grind me well and good. Thanks again! :anjali:

*I meant a lot. Almost entirely charity, really, tinged with a smidgen of what I wrote. I mean, I wasn't even trying to go about doing things "properly".
Last edited by devilyoudont on Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

devilyoudont wrote:
Namdrol wrote:Great. The rest is delusion.
Thanks. :namaste:

PS. Can't you give me any hints at all?

PPS. It is completely metaphorical, you know, so "delusion" may not be the word for it. I'm trying to convey my meditative experiences in this language, in which I have no training.

PPS. So yes, the end result may indeed be delusional when other beings read it.

PPPS. But would it be out of the question to read it with a bit of charity (by trying to see it from my non-standard, ignorant point of view) and correcting some of the most glaring misconceptions?

PPPPS. I can see you're still here, so maybe you're working on it. Grind me well and good. Thanks again! :anjali:

Well, get some training. At least attend some webcasts with Norbu Rinpoche and receive the transmission for cho practice.
devilyoudont

Post by devilyoudont »

Namdrol wrote:Well, get some training. At least attend some webcasts with Norbu Rinpoche and receive the transmission for cho practice.
Wow, you can do that? Thanks.

PS. On the bright side, if this complete and utter fantasy, maybe I can use it as part of a fantasy religion in a story I'm currently failing to write. Or would that end up as a fantastical, wannabe Buddhism? That'd be embarrassingly Mary Sueish.
devilyoudont

Post by devilyoudont »

Namdrol wrote:The rest is delusion.
Yes, it is. _o_

Return to “Language”