The Medicinal Value of Incense

A forum for all questions about Tibetan Medicine. No more posting in this forum until further notice.
plwk

The Medicinal Value of Incense

Post by plwk »

How is it utilised in Tibetan Medicine? :anjali:
Malcolm

Re: The Medicinal Value of Incense

Post by Malcolm »

plwk wrote:How is it utilised in Tibetan Medicine? :anjali:

There are many different formulas for incense on Tibetan Medicine.

However, there is one brand called sold under the name "Nirvana" which is actually the formula called Agar 31. It is used for Vata disturbances (i.e. high wind or rlung), insomnia, to induce calm, and so on. This can be crushed as used as an oral medicine as well (under prescription from doctor).

Properly formulated Tibetan incense is held to repel bhutas, and so on. In other words, it can be used for aromatherapy.

Properly formulated Tibetan incense is like good wine or ghee, it's medicinal value is enhanced by aging.
plwk

Post by plwk »

Interesting Namdrol...
Is incense effective for skin conditions like eczema or fungal infections?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

plwk wrote:Interesting Namdrol...
Certain skin conditions induced by vata, rough, dry skin, for example, will be helped over all by a vata-reducing regimen. If it is pitta related, then burning sandalwood can be effective.

Sandal wood essential oil may be helpful for certain skin rashes; for fungal infections, try using refined sesame oil. Sesame oil has anti-fungal properties. But it depends on the dosha involved.
Kyosan

Post by Kyosan »

I'm concerned that frequent burning of incense may increase the risk of cancer. They say that the combustion produces carcinogens.

I have read that exposures to incense smoke may cause cancer particularly in children. We burn incense regularly. Should we be concerned about our children?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Kyosan wrote:I'm concerned that frequent burning of incense may increase the risk of cancer. They say that the combustion produces carcinogens.

I have read that exposures to incense smoke may cause cancer particularly in children. We burn incense regularly. Should we be concerned about our children?

The main point is to fill the room with fragrance, if you are offering incense devotionally. Therefore, I recommend you use an aromatherapy nebulizer.

You can then procure pure sandalwood essential oil, or agarwood, etc., add a couple drops to your nebulizer, and enjoy the benefits of the aroma and none of the downsides. You could even experiment with creating blends of essential oils for your needs.

A nebulizer works by creating water vapor via ultrasound.

Keep in mind that burning wood for fires, etc, also produce the same compounds. As well as cars, city traffic, etc.

As long as your house is well ventilated, you use vetted pure incenses from a reliable sources that uses no accelerants, etc., then I think then there is no additional risk to your children that is not already present from our toxic industrial environment as a whole.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

plwk wrote:Interesting Namdrol...
Myrrh (Commiphora myrrha) works really well for fungal infections, dissolve it in alcohol to make a tincture to apply to the infected area. Its anti-fungal (fungicidal) capacities were known from ancient times, they used to burn it on charcoal and fill empty wine barrels with the smoke to prevent (unwanted) mould from forming. I don't know if guggul (Commiphora wightii) has the exact same properties or not.
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Return to “Tibetan Medicine”