Need help identifying deity

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
justsit

Need help identifying deity

Post by justsit »

Rescued this old thangka at an estate auction. Can anyone identify the deity? It is yab yum, hard to see. Sorry for the poor photos, item is very faded and creased.

deity5 by Justsit31, on Flickr

deity2 by Justsit31, on Flickr
dakini_boi

Re: Need help identifying deity

Post by dakini_boi »

Could it be Hayagriva? What is he holding?
justsit

Post by justsit »

Right hand is holding a dorje, only top half is visible. Left hand is empty, palm facing viewer, fingers pointing down.
gnegirl

Post by gnegirl »

dakini_boi wrote:Could it be Hayagriva? What is he holding?
No, Hayagriva would have a horse's head coming out of his crown.
"Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise." --Surangama Sutra

Phenomenon, vast as space, dharmata is your base, arising and falling like ocean tide cycles, why do i cling to your illusion of unceasing changlessness?
justsit

Post by justsit »

(bump)
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I think it is a Chinese Forgery. The deity seems to be a version of Guru Dragpo.
justsit

Post by justsit »

OK, thanks.
Dhondrub

Post by Dhondrub »

looks like guru dragpo
Dexing

Post by Dexing »

I would say almost certainly Bodhisattva Vajrapāṇi who's name means Vajra Hand and is always depicted in this posture, and wearing the tiger skin lower garment.

:namaste:
nopalabhyate...
Dhondrub

Post by Dhondrub »

Dexing wrote:I would say almost certainly Bodhisattva Vajrapāṇi who's name means Vajra Hand and is always depicted in this posture, and wearing the tiger skin lower garment.

:namaste:
yes- but he is blue, while guru dragpo is seen in same stance with same mudras( sometimes with scorpio in the left) and same garments, but he is red!
Inge

Post by Inge »

Dhondrub wrote:looks like guru dragpo
From what I have been told, Guru Drakpo has a nine-headed scorpion in his left hand.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Inge wrote:
Dhondrub wrote:looks like guru dragpo
From what I have been told, Guru Drakpo has a nine-headed scorpion in his left hand.

In these kinds of PRC fakes, they never get any of the details correct.
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

A long, long time ago, I managed my Teachers' Tibetan antique store in Greenwich Village for a number of years. During that time, I learned a lot about Tibetan art and antiques. Many people brought Tibetan art in to our shop to try to sell or to have appraised, and I sometimes consulted for the Tibetan wing at the Natural History Museum. This thangka does not look PRC-made to me. It looks decidedly Nepalese in terms of its geo-political provenance (not the ethnicity of its painter). My guess is that someone bought it back in the 70s, originally in Kathmandu, which would make sense for something showing up in a recent estate sale. The crudeness of the drawing and the quality of the paints are very reminiscent of what was coming out of Nepal during the heyday of the hippie era. It's possible that the thangka was painted in Dolpo or Lo Mantang. Frankly, I can't see the details of the iconography well enough to decide whether it is simply a bogus tourist knock-off or whether its from a very poor area in the southern Himalayas. Sometimes the old thangkas from the monasteries and temples in these areas show up on the market when those monasteries or temples commission new thangkas to spruce thing up. Just some observations based on past experience.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

pemachophel wrote:This thangka does not look PRC-made to me.
I saw tons of thangkas of similar type when I was in Tibet in 2009 in tourist "Tibetan" shops run by Chinese merchants.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”