Do you really think existence is an illusion

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

Re: Do you really think existence is an illusion

Postby conebeckham » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:57 pm

You should get the book and read it.
Niguma's "Gyuma LamRim" is amazing, as is her autocommentary.
May any merit generated by on-line discussion
Be dedicated to the Ultimate Benefit of All Sentient Beings.
conebeckham

Postby Pema Rigdzin » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:44 am

Rael wrote:your post made me feel like you belittle everyone tackling this outside of Buddhism..like it is exclusive and is somehow owned by Buddhist Control...

Rael,

This has nothing at all to do with belittling non-Buddhist traditions or asserting that Buddhism somehow owns the nature of reality itself or the subtle anatomy of the human body. That is not at all what is being asserted.

What is being asserted is that Buddhism has its own ideas about the self, the nature of reality, and the subtle anatomy of the human body, and other religions have their own ideas about these things. Buddhism has its own ideas about what constitutes liberation from our present condition and the ultimate fruit of the spiritual journey, and other religions have their own ideas about these things. So this whole discussion is apples and oranges. Buddhism has its own ideas and its own methods to work within its own paradigm and other traditions have their own paradigms and methods to work with them. If you tried to tell Christians, Hindus, Pagans, Jews, Muslims, etc that their beliefs are ultimately the same as Buddhists' and that there's no difference between our paths, you'd meet with some strong dissent and possibly some anger at the misrepresentation of their beliefs and approaches.
Pema Rigdzin

Postby Rael » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:15 pm

Pema Rigdzin wrote:
Rael wrote:your post made me feel like you belittle everyone tackling this outside of Buddhism..like it is exclusive and is somehow owned by Buddhist Control...

Rael,

This has nothing at all to do with belittling non-Buddhist traditions or asserting that Buddhism somehow owns the nature of reality itself or the subtle anatomy of the human body. That is not at all what is being asserted.

What is being asserted is that Buddhism has its own ideas about the self, the nature of reality, and the subtle anatomy of the human body, and other religions have their own ideas about these things. Buddhism has its own ideas about what constitutes liberation from our present condition and the ultimate fruit of the spiritual journey, and other religions have their own ideas about these things. So this whole discussion is apples and oranges. Buddhism has its own ideas and its own methods to work within its own paradigm and other traditions have their own paradigms and methods to work with them. If you tried to tell Christians, Hindus, Pagans, Jews, Muslims, etc that their beliefs are ultimately the same as Buddhists' and that there's no difference between our paths, you'd meet with some strong dissent and possibly some anger at the misrepresentation of their beliefs and approaches.

I'm not saying any such thing...where have i said these religions are the same as Buddhism....

but there are paths that are....

the Buddhist Paradigm is not exclusive to Buddhists....
Love Love Love
Rael

Postby Sherab Dorje » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:31 pm

Rael wrote:I'm not saying any such thing...where have i said these religions are the same as Buddhism....

Don't be silly, of course the Buddhist paradigm is exclusive to Buddhists, elements of it may be shared with/by other paradigms but the Buddhist paradigm is, of course, exclusive to Buddhists! Otherwise it wouldn't be called a Buddhist paradigm.
:namaste:
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
Sherab Dorje
Former staff member

Postby Rael » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:05 am

gregkavarnos wrote:
Rael wrote:I'm not saying any such thing...where have i said these religions are the same as Buddhism....

Don't be silly, of course the Buddhist paradigm is exclusive to Buddhists, elements of it may be shared with/by other paradigms but the Buddhist paradigm is, of course, exclusive to Buddhists! Otherwise it wouldn't be called a Buddhist paradigm.
:namaste:

your not helping.... :tantrum:
Love Love Love
Rael

Postby Pema Rigdzin » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:07 am

Rael wrote:
I'm not saying any such thing...where have i said these religions are the same as Buddhism....

Ok so would you care to name these paths so I can stop playing the guessing game? And would you care to explain in detail how they present the same paradigm as Buddhism, in terms of ground, path, and fruit? Maybe you're right, but I can't tell because you've yet to offer any proof or name these paths you have in mind.
Pema Rigdzin

Previous

Return to Open Dharma