Abolish Money for Buddha's favors....

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

Re: Abolish Money for Buddha's favors....

Postby Rael » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:12 pm

Nangwa wrote:
Rael wrote:
Nangwa wrote:Its not about being frightened to say something.
Its about completely denying the conventional/relative situation that we are dealing with in favor of an impossible ideal.
Should non-monastic teachers walk around a neighborhood in Brooklyn going door to door with a begging bowl or work 40 hours a week bagging groceries?

No...but honesty would be in order on a major scale...

there are people so ignorant to believe that making these offerings will bring them out of their suffering ...like maybe tomorrow...and no one is actually telling them what these offerings are actually doing.....

the suffering people's of this world spend huge fortunes on this sort of premise.....

huge fortunes are made by people who have the likes of you typing in their behalf....

so i ask you....

Does the Buddha help you...he said He can't.....

How magnificent a lifestyle and Temple do you need in Brooklyn....

ack.....

Making offerings is an excellent source for the accumulation of merit. If people are ignorant enough to think that making offerings alone will liberate them, then they need to hit the books and listen to what they are being taught.
I dont think "the suffering peoples of the world spend huge fortunes on this sort of premise" is an accurate statement.
The Buddha's teachings help me, and I get those from my teachers. If I am unwilling to help them continue teaching through my support then I shouldnt expect them to give me the teachings.
There arent really any magnificent temples or authentic dharma teachers living in opulent magnificence in Brooklyn that I know of.
ack...

have a scoot over to Queens....lol :tongue:
Love Love Love
Rael

Postby LastLegend » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:25 pm

Nangwa wrote:Making offerings is an excellent source for the accumulation of merit. If people are ignorant enough to think that making offerings alone will liberate them, then they need to hit the books and listen to what they are being taught.
I dont think "the suffering peoples of the world spend huge fortunes on this sort of premise" is an accurate statement.
The Buddha's teachings help me, and I get those from my teachers. If I am unwilling to help them continue teaching through my support then I shouldnt expect them to give me the teachings.
There arent really any magnificent temples or authentic dharma teachers living in opulent magnificence in Brooklyn that I know of.
ack...

I am more fortunate as a Vietnamese to have everything available to me in my own language and all the monks from the temples. No charges!

But "if there is wish, there is answer" if wishing with sincerity
NAMO AMITABHA
NAM MO A DI DA PHAT (VIETNAMESE)
NAMO AMITUOFO (CHINESE)
LastLegend

Postby Malcolm » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:58 pm

Rael wrote:
and second....do you think it is time for like the clergy of all Buddhist sects to stop accepting money for Buddha's favours...

No one accepts money for "Buddha's favors".

Anyone who thinks they are giving money to a temple, etc., for "favors" is mistaken. No favor will be forthcoming. It does not work like that.
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://atikosha.org
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

" The one who teaches the benefits of peace,
he is said to be a ṛṣī; the others are the opposite of him."

-- Uttaratantra
Malcolm

Postby Kyosan » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:42 am

Rael wrote:somewhere the Buddha made claim not to seek help from demons gods or himself even.....yes / no?

and then you have millions making offerings for things....all whilst the priests and monks watch on.....

thats the point of the OP

I don't know whether he said that or not. I don't recall him saying that in anything I've read but the Triptaka is large and I've only read a small portion of it.

People making offerings doesn't necessarily mean that they expect some favor. They might make offerings to increase their merit and further their practice. They might make offerings to promote Buddhism and support the monks and nuns.
Kyosan

Postby LastLegend » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:58 am

Kyosan wrote:
Rael wrote:somewhere the Buddha made claim not to seek help from demons gods or himself even.....yes / no?

and then you have millions making offerings for things....all whilst the priests and monks watch on.....

thats the point of the OP

I don't know whether he said that or not. I don't recall him saying that in anything I've read but the Triptaka is large and I've only read a small portion of it.

People making offerings doesn't necessarily mean that they expect some favor. They might make offerings to increase their merit and further their practice. They might make offerings to promote Buddhism and support the monks and nuns.

Yes never expect favors from demon gods.
NAMO AMITABHA
NAM MO A DI DA PHAT (VIETNAMESE)
NAMO AMITUOFO (CHINESE)
LastLegend

Postby Adamantine » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:56 am

Rael wrote:
NAH!!!!!

We shared a moment of understanding....

I just saw what He refers to as human faults showing up in the Guru....

So now you're telling me you can read minds? I thought you were only saying your teacher could.
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Adamantine
Global Moderator

Postby Rael » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:43 am

Adamantine wrote:
Rael wrote:
NAH!!!!!

We shared a moment of understanding....

I just saw what He refers to as human faults showing up in the Guru....

So now you're telling me you can read minds? I thought you were only saying your teacher could.

you never just know what someone close to you is thinking when they discuss with you...and continue without making any big whoop that you both know what each other is thinking...the convo flows....or stops abruptly with a look....

The Tulku has shown to just know what one is thinking...He did it directly for my daughter once and it was obvious....

you seem to have an ulterior motive here....

out with it laddy buck.....
Love Love Love
Rael

Postby Adamantine » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:12 am

I have no motive other than having you second guess your assumption that you know what your teacher was thinking. I do know what you mean
by those instances of so called mutual 'knowing', but I also have thought I've mutually experienced those moments only to find I was seriously mistaken. Similarly, with teachers of mine I never cease to be surprised by them in various ways, because they are not predictable and are certainly not ordinary.
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Adamantine
Global Moderator

Postby ram peswani » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:58 am

[quote="Rael"]this place has afforded me well...I get to put out there my inner most thoughts about Buddhism and come to terms with those thoughts better...

the Buddha tells us not look at any god or demon or even Him for help.
Thats from the Lotus Sutra....And yet you see temples filled with people looking for fortune and praying directly to images of Buddha for things...offering incences , flowers, and such....

Creativity in any sphere and Wisdom are the only two steps that help existence for the indivitual and others. They also increase the capacity of indivitual to have his desires fulfilled. In Lotus sutra language ...they increase vehicle size by using Ego cosmic energy.

And creativity and wisdom comes only when you neither ask for help or pray for help. But this is a difficult world and when you see others doing the asking and praying , develop compassion and just say they are taking rest on the ladder of evolution
ram peswani

Postby Mr. G » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:22 am

ram peswani wrote:In Lotus sutra language ...they increase vehicle size by using Ego cosmic energy.

What is "Ego cosmic energy"? This has nothing to do with the Lotus Sutra.
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Postby ram peswani » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:22 pm

mr. gordo wrote:
ram peswani wrote:In Lotus sutra language ...they increase vehicle size by using Ego cosmic energy.

What is "Ego cosmic energy"? This has nothing to do with the Lotus Sutra.

I have a strong wish to create interest in every one on Lotus Sutra.
Have i not been meditating for hour after hour and year after year to reach the inner depth and message of Lotus Sutra?
I feel that there have been revelations after revelation on lotus sutra during all this period.
Chapter 7-Parable of Phantom city,
chapter -11 emergence of treasure tower.
chapter 15 -emerging from the earth
chapter 16- life span of Thus come one

All these and their meaning have been explained to me during meditation.
If i am not able to reach you with "vehicle size" even after writing a full page on vehicle, i think i am going too fast or i have yet to learn a lot and have to wait to express myself clearly.

Ifeel that i am nothing but lotus sutra myself. This whole world nay universes are all lotus sutra and nothing else. Please read my earlier letters and replies and ask question on what i have written or explain to me in details "why do you think it has nothing to do with Lotus sutra"

Lotus sutra is very difficult to understand.
I live in India where no one knows lotus sutra.
I went to remote himalyan caves and met many Rishis (saints) who have Been meditating for years. Who had developed tremendous powers.Who claimed to have power of life and death . I lived and begged alms with them. They challanged me on Lotus sutra, used powers on me, but could never shake me out of lotus sutra. It reminded me of Guatam Buddha , who sent back many Arhats at Eagle peak , when he started preaching Lotus Sutra. After they left he said they are chaf (waste) and you are the real ones. India has great seers, Gods and Gurus with powers, but i tested them and found these Rishis nothing before Lotus Sutra. This Universe is immense and the knowledge (in Guatam Buddha's words) has no limitation which Buddhas have. We all have to develop "Vehical" of lotus sutra and bring it to bigger and bigger size to make it a "Greater Vehicle " . This is the basis of Lotus sutra.
ram peswani

Postby Mr. G » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:46 pm

ram peswani wrote:Lotus sutra is very difficult to understand.

Actually I think it's a pretty straight forward sutra to understand which doesn't mean it takes away from it's meaning.

..We all have to develop "Vehical" of lotus sutra and bring it to bigger and bigger size to make it a "Greater Vehicle " . This is the basis of Lotus sutra.

I don't understand what you're writing, and I think you're bringing a more "new-age" understanding to the Lotus Sutra which is not there.
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Postby Sherab Dorje » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:52 pm

ram peswani wrote:I live in India where no one knows lotus sutra.
I went to remote himalyan caves and met many Rishis (saints) who have Been meditating for years. Who had developed tremendous powers.Who claimed to have power of life and death . I lived and begged alms with them. They challanged me on Lotus sutra, used powers on me, but could never shake me out of lotus sutra. It reminded me of Guatam Buddha , who sent back many Arhats at Eagle peak , when he started preaching Lotus Sutra. After they left he said they are chaf (waste) and you are the real ones. India has great seers, Gods and Gurus with powers, but i tested them and found these Rishis nothing before Lotus Sutra. This Universe is immense and the knowledge (in Guatam Buddha's words) has no limitation which Buddhas have. We all have to develop "Vehical" of lotus sutra and bring it to bigger and bigger size to make it a "Greater Vehicle " . This is the basis of Lotus sutra.
Ever heard of the word ego? You know what type of rebirth one receives for pride based on spiritual accomplishment?

I think it would be a good idea for you to go and find a good teacher with a solid basis of realisation and understanding of the Lotus Sutra and get them to spell out a few details for you, (or at east track down a couple of good books explaining the lotus Sutra) coz your interpretation seems quite strange, to say the least!
:namaste:
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
Sherab Dorje
Former staff member

Postby Rael » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:25 pm

gregkavarnos wrote:
Ever heard of the word ego? You know what type of rebirth one receives for pride based on spiritual accomplishment?

I think it would be a good idea for you to go and find a good teacher with a solid basis of realisation and understanding of the Lotus Sutra and get them to spell out a few details for you, (or at east track down a couple of good books explaining the lotus Sutra) coz your interpretation seems quite strange, to say the least!

it sounds like some %^& &^%$ #$%#@ rant....
Love Love Love
Rael

Postby ram peswani » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:14 am

gregkavarnos wrote:
I went to remote himalyan caves and met many Rishis (saints) who have Been meditating for years. Who had developed tremendous powers.Who claimed to have power of life and death . I lived and begged alms with them. They challanged me on Lotus sutra, used powers on me, but could never shake me out of lotus sutra. It reminded me of Guatam Buddha , who sent back many Arhats at Eagle peak , when he started preaching Lotus Sutra. After they left he said they are chaf (waste) and you are the real ones. India has great seers, Gods and Gurus with powers, but i tested them and found these Rishis nothing before Lotus Sutra. This Universe is immense and the knowledge (in Guatam Buddha's words) has no limitation which Buddhas have. We all have to develop "Vehical" of lotus sutra and bring it to bigger and bigger size to make it a "Greater Vehicle " .
This is the basis of Lotus sutra.

Thank you for your advice, I send you my love and compassion....along with a few explanation

1. Dragon girl became a man from girl before she became a Buddha. So Buddhahood is not available for female cosmic energy
2. If you read prose of chapter 8 it talks of flying men, also it tells that heavenly men and humans are able to see each other and communicate as well
3. Ego......Only Ego leads a human to Buddhahood. Strong ego is very difficult to handle but if it is surrounded by Wisdom it works beautifully.
I remember to have read some sutra of Mahayana...Which writes "I am and I am not". It tells Sariputta " I have 32 special features and I do not have 32
special features" and like that it goes on explaining details of Buddhas.

Does this sutra not indicate and also Wisdom behind it to be careful about Ego .
When some one talks about TRUTH emphatically, he wants to reach you.
4. You are reacting and it is a good sign, better than those who are silent

5. I will happily take a Guru, if there is one who understands Suniata or Emptiness of lotus sutra and is able to express it in many ways. Can you advice me one.
ram peswani

Postby ram peswani » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:28 am

gregkavarnos wrote:

I also wrote a special letter on your request about "CODE NAME GOD"

Do you believe that Mahatma Gandhi got freedom for Indians from powerful Britishers only thro power of THOUGHT?
Or Purna ( chapter 8 of lotus surta) is not at a stage where he is putting POWER on thought / imagination to create a better future world ?
ram peswani

Previous

Return to Open Dharma