Tibetan medicine and fungal infection of the skin

A forum for all questions about Tibetan Medicine. No more posting in this forum until further notice.
Inge

Tibetan medicine and fungal infection of the skin

Post by Inge »

Do you know if Tibetan medicine has a specific treatment for fungal infections of the skin (athletes foot, jocks itch, ringworm, etc.) that are caused by the nagas?
Malcolm

Re: Tibetan medicine and fungal infection of the skin

Post by Malcolm »

Inge wrote:Do you know if Tibetan medicine has a specific treatment for fungal infections of the skin (athletes foot, jocks itch, ringworm, etc.) that are caused by the nagas?

Most nāgā illness are connected with lymph. However, generally for what you are talking about, Tibetan medicine would use sulfur based and orpiment based herbal powders on the skin. So, in this day and age, ti would be advisable if this is serious condition to go to a dermatologist.
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Inge,

How do you know the condition(s) is/are caused by nagas?
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

pemachophel wrote:Inge,

All of this information is included in the four medicine tantras.
tamdrin

Post by tamdrin »

Tibetans have spirits as an explanation for almost everything.. There is even a god(s) that makes the sun and moon work lol..
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

tamdrin wrote:Tibetans have spirits as an explanation for almost everything.. There is even a god(s) that makes the sun and moon work lol..
That is a quite an exaggeration.
tamdrin

Post by tamdrin »

Namdrol wrote:
tamdrin wrote:Tibetans have spirits as an explanation for almost everything.. There is even a god(s) that makes the sun and moon work lol..

I think both Tibetan Doctors and Western Doctors need to arrive at a balanced perspective.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

tamdrin wrote:
Namdrol wrote:

I think both Tibetan Doctors and Western Doctors need to arrive at a balanced perspective.
Tibetan medicine is very balanced about it. The name of spirit illnesses is Tibetan is termed ཀུན་རྟགས་གདོན་ནད i.e. imputed spirit illnesses. I.e. when you have run out of other causal factors, then provocations are one's last resort diagnosis.
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Namdrol wrote:
Tibetan medicine is very balanced about it. The name of spirit illnesses is Tibetan is termed ཀུན་རྟགས་གདོན་ནད i.e. imputed spirit illnesses. I.e. when you have run out of other causal factors, then provocations are one's last resort diagnosis.
Do Tibetan amchis ever use MOs to help with diagnosis?
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Inge

Post by Inge »

I was told so by Lama Dawa Rinpoche.

Are such fungal infections always caused by nagas?
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Inge wrote:

I really doubt it. Do you have all those conditions at once? If so that's pretty severe, so would make sense that it could be a provocation. If naga provocation is the direct cause, then you need to work to resolve that first, --commission naga puja, or whatever Lama Dawa instructed you to do. Then, at the same time I would see a doctor and get prescribed a heavy-duty antifungal cream to apply. You may also want to try Pau D'arco
as a tea or tincture internally, and a mix of tea-tree essential oil in a base of raw coconut oil externally for a natural option. But the skin symptoms are secondary really, if you are dealing with a naga provocation... you should resolve that asap, other problems may arise if that is left unresolved. best wishes!
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Inge

Post by Inge »

Adamantine wrote:
Inge wrote:

I really doubt it. Do you have all those conditions at once? If so that's pretty severe, so would make sense that it could be a provocation. If naga provocation is the direct cause, then you need to work to resolve that first, --commission naga puja, or whatever Lama Dawa instructed you to do. Then, at the same time I would see a doctor and get prescribed a heavy-duty antifungal cream to apply. You may also want to try Pau D'arco
as a tea or tincture internally, and a mix of tea-tree essential oil in a base of raw coconut oil externally for a natural option. But the skin symptoms are secondary really, if you are dealing with a naga provocation... you should resolve that asap, other problems may arise if that is left unresolved. best wishes!
Yes, I have all those conditions. Lama Dawa did not give any instruction about what to do about it, so I would have to send him another question about that.

Thank you for the tip on the natural treatment. I have just been given a prescription for an antimycotic drug based on ketokonazol, but are reluctant to take it because of the danger of liver toxicity.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Adamantine wrote:
Namdrol wrote:
Do Tibetan amchis ever use MOs to help with diagnosis?

Yes. But spirit illnesses are generally diagnosed with elemental calculation.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Inge wrote:

As I said above, not always. The main cause of illness is the three doshas. There are four contributing factors, diet, lifestyle, season and sprit provocations.

Another thing you can do is try to find the "five nectars" herbal bath.
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Inge,

Your answer was what I was looking for. I meant you specifically. I would definitely recommend asking Lama Dawa what to do about this. I am absolutely sure he will have very practical advice for you on how to deal with this situation on top of any other medical remedies you may also use.

Good luck and best wishes.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Inge

Post by Inge »

Namdrol wrote:
Inge wrote:

As I said above, not always. The main cause of illness is the three doshas. There are four contributing factors, diet, lifestyle, season and sprit provocations.

Another thing you can do is try to find the "five nectars" herbal bath.
Thank you. I found these pages:
Dutsi 5 Lums (5 Nectars Bath)
http://www.men-tsee-khang.org/hprd/skin ... ngalum.htm

Are any of those the five nectars herbal bath you mentioned?
Inge

Post by Inge »

Your answer was what I was looking for. I meant you specifically. I would definitely recommend asking Lama Dawa what to do about this. I am absolutely sure he will have very practical advice for you on how to deal with this situation on top of any other medical remedies you may also use.

Good luck and best wishes.
Thank you.
Inge

Post by Inge »

According to the divination of Lama Dawa I need to comission Lamas to perform Naga offering puja 100 times in my name. Do you think I could do this my self instead based on the teaching in ChNN Rinpoche's "The practice for the Naga" booklet?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Inge wrote:According to the divination of Lama Dawa I need to comission Lamas to perform Naga offering puja 100 times in my name. Do you think I could do this my self instead based on the teaching in ChNN Rinpoche's "The practice for the Naga" booklet?

Yes, just make sure you so it on proper days.

Also you should probably do practice of Garuda.
Inge

Post by Inge »

Namdrol wrote:
Inge wrote:According to the divination of Lama Dawa I need to comission Lamas to perform Naga offering puja 100 times in my name. Do you think I could do this my self instead based on the teaching in ChNN Rinpoche's "The practice for the Naga" booklet?

Yes, just make sure you so it on proper days.

Also you should probably do practice of Garuda.
Great. Thanks. I will try to make it to the Garuda initiation and instructions at Merigar in august.

Return to “Tibetan Medicine”