What is meditation?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
LastLegend

What is meditation?

Post by LastLegend »

What is meditation?

Please discuss
It’s eye blinking.
Chaz

Re: What is meditation?

Post by Chaz »

LastLegend wrote:What is meditation?

Please discuss
I've been told that there is no word for meditation in Tibetan. The word used is "Gom". It means "to become familiar with".

So, one way to look at meditation is as a process of becoming familiar with mind.
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

Chaz wrote:

Please discuss
I've been told that there is no word for meditation in Tibetan. The word used is "Gom". It means "to become familiar with".

So, one way to look at meditation is as a process of becoming familiar with mind.
Is Pure Land meditation?
It’s eye blinking.
justsit

Post by justsit »

LastLegend wrote:Is Pure Land meditation?
Please define Pure Land.
Kyosan

Post by Kyosan »

LastLegend wrote:
Chaz wrote:

Please discuss

Is Pure Land meditation?
I would say that meditation is focusing the mind on something or quieting the mind. Practicing meditation does help people become more familiar with their minds. It makes them more aware of the movements of their minds, and helps them distinguish between the movements and the one who observes the movements.

Pure Land is a way of Buddhist practice which does involve meditation. Mindfully repeating Amitaba Buddha's name, and visualisation of Amitaba Buddha and the pure land are forms of meditation.
Kyosan

Post by Kyosan »

justsit wrote:
Please define Pure Land.
Pure Land can mean several things. It is a school of Buddhist practice. I think that is what the original poster meant.

It is also a place or places (pure lands) described in Buddhism. Different people see it in different ways. Some see it as a good place to be reborn in. They see it as a separate place from this world we live in. Others see it as a different way to see this world we live in.
justsit

Post by justsit »

Kyosan wrote:
justsit wrote:
Please define Pure Land.
Pure Land can mean several things. It is a school of Buddhist practice. I think that is what the original poster meant.

It is also a place or places (pure lands) described in Buddhism. Different people see it in different ways. Some see it as a good place to be reborn in. They see it as a separate place from this world we live in. Others see it as a different way to see this world we live in.
Thanks.
:anjali:
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

Kyosan wrote: I would say that meditation is focusing the mind on something or quieting the mind. Practicing meditation does help people become more familiar with their minds. It makes them more aware of the movements of their minds, and helps them distinguish between the movements and the one who observes the movements.

Pure Land is a way of Buddhist practice which does involve meditation. Mindfully repeating Amitaba Buddha's name, and visualisation of Amitaba Buddha and the pure land are forms of meditation.
Is Tantra not meditation then? Is eating a bowl of noodle not meditation then? Is interacting with people not meditation then?
It’s eye blinking.
gnegirl

Post by gnegirl »

Please discuss
A means to know the true nature of the heart.

Meditation is a sharp-edged weapon that can cut right through the muck of ego-clinging.
Its a soft pillow that can ease the weary wanderer in samsara.

Its a cold drink on a hot day. Its a warm drink on a cold day.

Its the middle way, on the edge of a shining sharp blade.

Its a kind voice who asks 'how may i help you'. Its a sharp voice that warms 'Watch out!'.

Its a tool, should one care to use it, otherwise, it will simply gather dust.

Out of clutter, it can make space to move in.
"Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise." --Surangama Sutra

Phenomenon, vast as space, dharmata is your base, arising and falling like ocean tide cycles, why do i cling to your illusion of unceasing changlessness?
Kyosan

Post by Kyosan »

LastLegend wrote:Is Tantra not meditation then? Is eating a bowl of noodle not meditation then? Is interacting with people not meditation then?
I think you are right. Meditation usually involves sitting but when you do mundane things mindfully the same thing happens that happens when you meditate. Your mind is quieted and you are focusing on something.

When you do mundane tasks without trying to be mindful, it's no different from what people normally do and it's not the same as meditation. When you meditate or practice mindfulness you need to exert some effort to concentrate your mind.

I don't practice Tantric Buddhism and don't know what tantra is but I think that what I said above pretty much applies to anything.
Last edited by Kyosan on Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

LastLegend wrote:
Kyosan wrote: I would say that meditation is focusing the mind on something or quieting the mind. Practicing meditation does help people become more familiar with their minds. It makes them more aware of the movements of their minds, and helps them distinguish between the movements and the one who observes the movements.

Is Tantra not meditation then?
It can be, or so I'm told.

Is eating a bowl of noodle not meditation then?
It can be. Oryoki certainly is. Generally, I'd say that eating food is meditative if you're being mindful while you're at it.
Is interacting with people not meditation then?
It can be.
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

Error sorry
Last edited by LastLegend on Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
It’s eye blinking.
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

Kyosan wrote: I think you are right. Meditation usually involves sitting but when you do mundane things mindfully the same thing happens that happens when you meditate. Your mind is quieted and you are focusing on something.

When you do mundane tasks without trying to be mindful, it's no different from what people normally do and it's not the same as meditation. When you meditate or practice mindfulness you need to exert some effort to concentrate your mind.

I don't practice Tantric Buddhism and don't know what tantra is but I think that what I said above pretty much applies to anything.
Chaz wrote:

It can be, or so I'm told.
You have entered the door of Mahayana where practice is in everyday life in every movement that you make and where one practices letting go of acting upon pre-distinction of forms. Pre-distinction of forms ( in terms of self and others from Dependent Origination) is what brought us here in the first place. Pre-distinction of forms in terms of teachings without practice when they are one. Pre-distinction of forms in terms of focusing on one aspect of practice (such as a certain time for meditation only) without incorporating wholesome of practice into one's life. Pre-distinction of forms in terms of people and environment-this means that we are reacting to what we see, hear, smell, touch, and taste. Practice not reacting to forms is practice concentration, and pro-longed concentration will lead to wisdom.

Consider Conduct, Concentration, and Wisdom...Conduct talks about a broad area of practice and not just following precepts. In other words, anything that will lead to concentration is conduct. Meditation is conduct, giving donations is conduct, treating people equally is conduct, help family with chores is conduct. Practice letting go of selfish thinking and thinking and acting to benefit others is conduct, practice letting go of detachments (from a broad range of what we attach to in everyday life) especially material things is conduct,etc,etc. Conduct will lead to concentration to wisdom. So three is one for you cannot have one without the other two.

Practicing Tantra properly (conduct) will lead to concentration
Practicing Meditation Meditation properly (conduct) will lead to concentration
Practicing Pure Land properly (conduct) will lead to concentration

Pure Land needs Pure Mind. Practicing Pure Land is cultivating a Pure Mind. When Mind is Pure, Land (environment and sentient beings) is Pure. Currently our Land on earth is not Pure because Our Mind is not pure. From this you can understand the relationship between Mind and the physical realm as they are two sides of the same coin. When disturbed, Mind created the physical realms, samsara, hells, etc. Mind here means Buddha Nature.

So practice is leading to concentration and away from disturbed.
It’s eye blinking.
Kare

Post by Kare »

Please discuss
What is discussion?

Please meditate.
Kåre A. Lie
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

Kare wrote:

Please discuss
What is discussion?

Please meditate.
Meditate goes with meditation. Both is one. Can you cook without knowing the recipe first? Teachings and practice are one my friend.
It’s eye blinking.
ram peswani

Post by ram peswani »

Kyosan wrote:
LastLegend wrote:Is Tantra not meditation then? Is eating a bowl of noodle not meditation then? Is interacting with people not meditation then?
I think you are right. Meditation usually involves sitting but when you do mundane things mindfully the same thing happens that happens when you meditate. Your mind is quieted and you are focusing on something.

I agree. Meditation is state of pure awareness in every situation. One can be said to be in meditation even while doing all chores like walking eating talking etc.
One has to develop and increase this stat e of awareness initially by selecting a quiet place. Vipassana is a very good method

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”