Water offering mantra translation?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
dakini_boi

Water offering mantra translation?

Post by dakini_boi »

Could someone provide the meaning of each of the sanskrit words in the following water offering mantra?

OM SARWA TATHAGATA APARIWARA ARGHAM PRATITSA PUDZA MEGHA AMUDRA SAPARANA AH HUNG

Thank you
Chaz

Re: Water offering mantra translation?

Post by Chaz »

Boy, thats a good one.

Did you get that off Envisionation by any chance?

I believe that prayer is from the Nyingma tradition - not that that makes a whole lotta difference or anything.

I can't offer a translation, but I think Tathagata means "awakened one". Argham is drinking water.

I'd like to know what it translates to as well. I wonder of there's a mudra that accompanies it. The eight offerings (argham, padyam, pushpe, dupe, etc) each have their own mudra.

When I set up offerings I repeat OM AH HUNG with each offering.
ngodrup

Post by ngodrup »

This is the fancy way of doing it in the Nyingma.
Dudjom Lingpa wrote a really nice little prayer
that includes a mantra like this. Terma actually.
dakini_boi

Post by dakini_boi »

Yes, I got it here

http://envisionation.org/index.php?opti ... &Itemid=80" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yep I know the words Sarva Tathagata - all the awakened ones/buddhas
and Argham means water. That's all I got so far.
ngodrup

Post by ngodrup »

That's the one! Kyabje Dudjom Lingpa's vajra speech
warm with Dakini's breath, and amazing to recite
daily or when accumulating.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

SAPARIWARA -- retinue

ARGHAM -- drinking water.

PRATITSA -- receive

PUDZA -- offering

MEGHA -- cloud

SAMUDRA -- ocean

SAPARANA --spreads
dakini_boi

Post by dakini_boi »

Thank you!

So should it be SAPARIWARA or APARIWARA?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

dakini_boi wrote:Thank you!

So should it be SAPARIWARA or APARIWARA?

Saparivara.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

...pronounced, by most Tibetans, "Sapariwara" as the V becomes a "W" (and is usually written with a བ་ (ba)
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
dakini_boi

Post by dakini_boi »

conebeckham wrote:...pronounced, by most Tibetans, "Sapariwara" as the V becomes a "W" (and is usually written with a བ་ (ba)
Thank you. On the topic of transliteration, why is the Sanskrit व (va/wa) often transliterated into Tibetan as བ when the Tibetan script has ཝ (va/wa) specifically for the purpose? ex. Skt. Vajra वज्र becomes Tib. བཛྲ Bajra - not ཝཛྲ Vajra. This is not a question of pronunciation, but of transliteration - other sounds that are pronounced differently in Tibetan are still transliterated according to the Sanskrit. Is this just an error made in early translations that was repeated until it became convention? Anyone know?

While I'm at it, in the water offering mantra above, where is the stress placed in "saparana"? is it "saPArana"?

Thanks for continued help :namaste:
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

dakini_boi wrote:
conebeckham wrote:...pronounced, by most Tibetans, "Sapariwara" as the V becomes a "W" (and is usually written with a བ་ (ba)
Thank you. On the topic of transliteration, why is the Sanskrit व (va/wa) often transliterated into Tibetan as བ when the Tibetan script has ཝ (va/wa) specifically for the purpose? ex. Skt. Vajra वज्र becomes Tib. བཛྲ Bajra - not ཝཛྲ Vajra. This is not a question of pronunciation, but of transliteration - other sounds that are pronounced differently in Tibetan are still transliterated according to the Sanskrit. Is this just an error made in early translations that was repeated until it became convention? Anyone know?

While I'm at it, in the water offering mantra above, where is the stress placed in "saparana"? is it "saPArana"?

Thanks for continued help :namaste:

བ་is can be pronounced either as ba or as wa in Tibetan. In Amdo dialect which is very ancient all བ instances are pronounced wa.

Also in Nepal where most Tibetan translators learned to pronounce mantras, Sanskrit "va" is pronounced "ba". It is the same in Kashmir. Sakya Pandita notes this regional variation in his "how to pronounce mantras" guidebook.
ngodrup

Post by ngodrup »

Dakini_boy,
Seems I only ever hear SAaa pariwara
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

I agree...though if I recall correctly there's actually no syllabic stress in Sanskrit? Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

Also, there have been some studies or indications that the "W' or even the "B" sound for "V" sound is actually closer to the "REAL" pronounciation back in the daze....possible the Tibetans have it right when they say "Benza" for Vajra.........or so I've heard.

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
dakini_boi

Post by dakini_boi »

Thank you Ngodrup

How about the 3rd to last word - Saparana?

Yes, in Sanskrit there are stressed syllables - long vowels vs. short vowels.
Pero

Post by Pero »

conebeckham wrote:I agree...though if I recall correctly there's actually no syllabic stress in Sanskrit? Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

Also, there have been some studies or indications that the "W' or even the "B" sound for "V" sound is actually closer to the "REAL" pronounciation back in the daze....possible the Tibetans have it right when they say "Benza" for Vajra.........or so I've heard.
B=! V
E=! A
N=! J
Z=! R
A= A
Hm 1 out of 5 (or possibly 2)... :tongue:
BTW, I thought it was sparana, not saparana? Or are they different words?

In any case, according to my teacher you should pronounce the mantras the way you received them.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Okay....
I agree, Pero, with following one's teacher's pronounciation.

As for "Vajra," it's an example of Tibetan "pronounciation rules" being applied to Tibetanized Sanskrit.

V becomes b, as Tibetan does not have "Fricatives" (F, V)....the "A" vowel becomes an "eh" sound because, in Tibetan, that's what happens when the "A" vowel is followed by certain consonants. The "J" turning into a "Dz" in Tibetan--I'm frankly not sure how that occurs. And the "R" is pronounced, usually....but in Tibetan a final "R" sound can often drop off...

Maybe someone else who understands Tibetanized Sanksrit better can help out..

Another, better, example, is "padme" which is spelled that way in Tibetan characters...but it's pronounced PEh-May. The "d" is silent, but lengthens the "a" vowel, as per Tibetan rules.

Pero

Post by Pero »

conebeckham wrote: Maybe someone else who understands Tibetanized Sanksrit better can help out..

Another, better, example, is "padme" which is spelled that way in Tibetan characters...but it's pronounced PEh-May. The "d" is silent, but lengthens the "a" vowel, as per Tibetan rules.
Something just occured to me... Why don't they pronounce Padmasambhava as Pemasambhava? Or at least I don't remember hearing it like that...
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

I've heard it like that......though more commonly, "Pema Jungne," eh?

Which reminds of a rather annoying goof that's fairly common: It's Chakrasamvara, folks, not "Chakrasambhava."

Pero

Post by Pero »

conebeckham wrote:I've heard it like that......though more commonly, "Pema Jungne," eh?
Ah didn't think of that.
Which reminds of a rather annoying goof that's fairly common: It's Chakrasamvara, folks, not "Chakrasambhava."
I've always wondered about that because I always see it written Chakrasamvara but heard it pronounced Chakrasambhava.
- Shabkar

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”