Pan Cakes Recipe

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
pana

Pan Cakes Recipe

Post by pana »

Aemilius

Re: Pan Cakes Recipe

Post by Aemilius »

Do you also have a recipe without eggs ?
-many vegetarians would like a pancake that does not contain eggs.
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

Is here no one willing to discuss vegetarian pancakes?

In my own experience it is difficult to replace the eggs with anything. Several experiments with soyflour have given unsatisfactory results.
I finally came to a solution where you have to soak the wheat flour over night, in water or in soymilk. This develops a necessary toughness and recilience. I use whole wheat flour mixed with ordinary wheat flour. The pan has to be heated to a high temperature.
svaha
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

There is a way to make thick American-style pancakes without the eggs by substituting flax meal and/or flax oil, which makes a goopy kind of consistency when whipped with water. They're delicious. I don't have a particular recipe, but a cafe I like (the Little Grill in Harrisonburg, Virginia, USA) does it, so it's possible. Perhaps worth experimenting with?

Meanwhile, for crepe-like pancakes, there's a recipe in a book called the Veganomicon that works well. It includes some flours that are hard to find (fava bean flour if I remember correctly) unless you live down the street from Bob's Red Mill or some other outlet that carries such things. I don't have a copy of the book right now so I can't quote it, but there's a lead to work with.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

There's all sorts of vegan egg-substitutes out there, locust bean is one that comes to mind (they use it in tofu)
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Madeliaette
Location: Currently in Sussex, England. Formerly in Wollongong, Australia.

Post by Madeliaette »

The only time I have tried to make vegan pancakes I used coconut milk and gram flour.... it tasted delicious but was extremely messy and they didnt stay in one piece. :oops: but the ingredients might be usable if used in the right proportions rather than by guesswork....
gnegirl

Post by gnegirl »

Or do like me and get real free-range eggs from a local farm :).
"Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise." --Surangama Sutra

Phenomenon, vast as space, dharmata is your base, arising and falling like ocean tide cycles, why do i cling to your illusion of unceasing changlessness?
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Madeliaette wrote:The only time I have tried to make vegan pancakes I used coconut milk and gram flour.... it tasted delicious but was extremely messy and they didnt stay in one piece. :oops: but the ingredients might be usable if used in the right proportions rather than by guesswork....
Gram flour doesn't have gluten like wheat flour, that's why they fell apart, throw in some whole wheat flour to help it bind.
Last edited by Grigoris on Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Madeliaette
Location: Currently in Sussex, England. Formerly in Wollongong, Australia.

Post by Madeliaette »

I shall have to try that - thanks!!
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

I tried flax flour, with soyflour and whole wheat flour, and the normal ingredients, no eggs. Then letting the mixture absorb overnight. After some starting problems it made fine pancakes.
svaha

Return to “Lounge”