Re: Vows of Manjushri

Looking for translations, or for help with translations and transliterations? This is the place.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

plwk wrote: And from an Indonesian Buddhist forum site: http://www.kaskus.us/showthread.php?t=4961978&page=4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(I can understand the Indonesian but would lack the skills to translate it into English...)
We could work on the Indonesian and compare it to the Chinese. I have run the first vow through Kataku and have a rough translation of the first vow (which needs a lot of cleanup):
When having the human beings who were born in triloka,bila Aku that began or the other side that began, depended with nidana, or when the Catursunyapancasubha Management, headed by Cattvari Dhyanani Brahmaraja, headed by Sadkama, Indra headed by the gods, Caturdewa the management caturcakra, the management of the gods and the dragon, headed by the creature's eight groups, headed by the Patron Buddhist Dharma, the management sangharama, headed by Caturmahadharaloka, headed by Vajradrdha, headed by the God of the Pelindung Service of the Country, the management of the big and small country, headed by four of King Kecil, headed by the soldiers, the management of the capital, the amphibious creature, and that was born from the egg uterus - humidity and spontaneous, nine worm kinds, all that bernyawa, that was born in three periods, may Buddha become his witness, who had never heard my name, I was determined to make them hear him, that listened to my name, or that was in Dharma Ku, that the human beings awaken Bodhicitta and showered the service to Mahyana, menekuni the Anuttara road. If having the human being who used Dharma medicine or worldly medicine to cure that was sick, (as well as) calendar counting, art and diligence, literature, the singer, discussions and the presentation of praise songs that were useful, led humankind, or various works (performed a service) other that kind, (and with his service) led the layman to awaken Bodhicitta as well as the true view, (significant) all of them (has) berjodoh with me, received the Kebuddhaan road.
So it's not translating Sanskrit derived terms (isn't that strange as Indonesian has a fair number of Sanskrit derived words). The first vow is then something like: whoever is born in the Three Worlds Manjushri is determined to awaken Bodhicitta in them and to set them on the unsurpassed road to Mahayana and through the use of medicine, art and science to awaken Bodhicitta in laypeople and set them on [del]the road to the Buddha Body (Buddhahood)[/del] the path to Buddhahood. But there is also the notion of someone having a connection with Manjushri in the second half but the first half seems to say that if they have no connection with Manjushri he has determined to establish one.
The second great pledge: When having the human being, who slandered me, hated me, injured even killed me, whether to me, or he or that was other, always could not hate and receive the freedom (from his hatred), (I determined) to they berjodoh with me, and made them awaken Boddhicitta.
Something like: If anyone slanders me, hates me, injures me or even kills me or another I have determined to free them from their hatred, to establish affinity with me and to awaken them to Bodhicitta.
The third great pledge: When the human beings, liked the body jasmaniKu, when seeing me emerged the wish had, tried to get me; or did against my body and the other body fully the lie, was full of the wrong view, or did something that was holy and unholy, carried out all the crimes and all that was not good; (I determined) to they berjodoh with me, and made them awaken Boddhicitta.
Something like: When human beings desire my body (or someone elses body?), are filled with wrong view and commit unholy actions (presumably sensual and sexual actions) I have determined to establish affinity with them and awaken them to Bodhicitta.
The fourth great pledge: When having the human being, merendahkanKu, suspected me, nauseated to me, told lies on me, slandered Triratna, envy in Suci, told lies to all, often acted was not good, (I determined) to they berjodoh with me, and made them awaken Boddhicitta.
Something like: when a person accuses me, is disgusted with me, slanders me or the Triple Gem, is envious and spreads lies about me and acts improperly I determined to establish affinity with them and awaken them to Bodhicitta.
The Agung pledge of the five: When having the human being, did not appreciate me, humiliated me, embarrassed and was sorry for to me, who honored me, who did not honour me, obstructed me or did not obstruct me, made use of me or did not make use of me, having me or not having me, wanted me or did not want me, wanted me or not, followed me or not, saw me or not, (I determined) to they berjodoh with me, and made them awaken Boddhicitta.
Sort of: The fifth great vow: when a human being, does not appreciate me, humiliates me, embarrasses me or has negative views towards me, who honored me or did not honor me, obstructed me or did not obstruct me, used me or did not use me, enslaves (?) me or did not enslave me, wanted me or did not want me, followed me or not, saw me or not I determined to establish affinity with them and awaken them to Bodhicitta.

Since vows 2-5 all involve beings in the human world then likely part of the first vow is to try to find a way for beings in the Three Worlds to be reborn in the human realm.

And Manjushri seems to be establishing a kind of Shepherds kind of vow - he is determining to bring all beings to enlightenment before himself.
The Agung pledge of the six: When having the human being, often carried out the murder, mencelakai or menyembelih, butchered the pig or caught the fish, when revenge emerged killed each other, not the severing, from the birth for the sake of the birth repaid each other, the murder increasingly raged, in no way emerged regret, sold the body and took the wealth not with should to support himself, who had the heart like this, forever lost the human body and did not release the respondent dendaman. Like this, (I determined) to they berjodoh with me, and made them awaken Boddhicitta. When having the other person who took my property or I who gave him; or gave the fund donation to me, or I who gave a donation, all that could receive him and that did not receive him, (I determined) to they berjodoh with me, and made them awaken Boddhicitta.
Something like: The sixth great vow: when a human being murders another, kills and animal, kills another out of vengeance, when from birth to birth murder increases and regret is never generated, enslaves beings and robs them of their wealth, and (perhaps) thus blocked the path to a human rebirth, I determined to establish affinity with them and awaken them to Bodhicitta. When someone stole from me or I made a gift to them I determined to establish affinity with them and awaken them to Bodhicitta.
The Agung pledge of the seven: When having the human being, that member pujana to me, or I that member pujana to him. Or I or he who established Sangha holiday accommodation, arama, the Buddhist stupa, the place of meditation as well as the place penyepian; Or Aku and the other person made all the reward sorts, and made pratima Buddhist Bodhisattva, or pushed the other person to make a donation, gathered the blessing, afterwards was showered to Dharmadhatu, as well as Boddhi Buddha, to parai nsan together enjoyed this blessing. If having the person, the friend and the couple, the teacher and his student, the person who trained himself hard, with the position of the certain or fasting body; that undertook sila or violated him; that worked and not; the monk or Acarya the teacher, who heard my teaching, or I accepted his teaching, that together in working, all berjodoh with me, that they awaken Bodhicitta.
Something like: The seventh great vow: when a human performs puja to me or remembers (?) a puja to me, or celebrates a Dharma day or meditates by a stupa, or venerates a Bodhisattva or encourage another person to make a Dharma gift, gains the blessing (and something about sharing the blessing - maybe with the person they encouraged to make the offering). If the person has a friend or wife (?) or a teacher and trains diligently or fasts or undertakes discipline or violates the discipline, whoever hears my teaching or I accept their teaching, I will establish affinity with all of them and awaken them to Bodhicitta.
The eighth great pledge: When having the human being who always did the crime, (so as) fell in hell without having the opportunity meloloskan himself, until berkalpa-kalpa, continued to be whipped by various sufferings; left hell was born in five nature, before to the animal, used his life to pay karma the life passed, to the low animal animal like the dog, the pig, cattle, the goat, the elephant and the horse, or to the worker without resting, to pay karma, the life debt since many lives, returned what was stolen from him. I will always be born in the life that was the same as five nature, to give teaching, or become the very poor, blind, mute and deaf person, the person of the subordinate, around the human beings, to was the same the group and the same partner, was the same the work and was the same the work, (and) I will lead him entered the Kebuddhaan road; Berjodoh with Kusupaya they awakened Bodhicitta.
Something like: The eight great vow: when a human continuously commits negativities and consequently falls into hell without having the opportunity to redeem himself for many kalpas, continues to be tormented by various sufferings; leaving hell and is born in five rebirths, an animal rebirth, using his life to repay karma, to the low animal rebirth like the dog, the pig, cattle, the goat, the elephant and the horse, or to the worker without resting, to repay karma through their life over many lifetimes, (and finally repays the karma ?)
I will always be born in that same kind of life to give teaching, or become very poor, blind, mute and deaf person, a subordinate person among human beings, rebron in the same the group and the same partner, do the same work , thus I will lead him to enter Buddhahood; I will establish affinity with him and awaken him to Bodhicitta.
The Agung pledge of the nine: When having the human being, was full of the arrogant characteristics, so as to disgrace Dharma. The teacher and the student without embarrassment utilised Sangha possessions, Buddha, Bodhisattva, and killed and robbed, did the crime and told lies, said said that was not useful and bermulut bad, berlidah two and liked to quarrel, greedy and was full of hatred, did not re-educate himself in the service, stole the person's other wealth, liked to humiliate the other person, did not know good and bad, always carried out ten bad actions and all the other sins, after dying fell in avici, entered various hell kinds. After leaving hell, was again born in the six misery nature, entered the birth ocean and the death, as well as various low nature. It is hoped berjodoh with me, carried out the work and went dijalur that was same, changed appropriate nidana, definitely will help him, that they are released. It is hoped berjodoh with me and awakened Bodhicitta.
The ninth great vow: when a human being is full of arrogant characteristics, disgraces the Dharma, without embarrassment appropriates possenssions of the Sangha, Buddhas, or Bodhisattvas, or killed and robbed the Sangha, Buddhas or Bodhisattvas, did the crime and told lies, likes to quarrel, is greedy and full of hatred, and did not re-educate himself in the Dharma, stole the person's other wealth, likes to humiliate others, and does not know the good and bad, always carries out the ten bad actions and all the other sins, and after dying fell in Avici Hell, and enteres various kinds of hell. After leaving hell, is again born in the six natures of misery, enters the ocean of birth and death, as well as various low rebirths. If they wish for affinity with me, carry out the work and change their actions, I will definitely him and release him. Their repentance (?) will establish affinity with me and awaken them to Bodhicitta.
The Agung pledge of the ten: When having the human being, that berjodoh with me and with my method, or that not berjodoh, (although) they had the similarity of the Agung Pledge with me, received the body (like) I, not his difference with me. Undertook Catur Brahma Vihara, the heart measuring the space; rescued the area human being relentlessly, was determined to reach Boddhi, investigated the Anuttara Samyaksamboddhi road. Maharya Manjusri, with the pledge that was provided a basis for by the characteristics of grandeur, did not enter triloka, also did not go out from triloka; the Heart like the space, always was in the characteristics ocean of the Tathagata holiness, Tathagatagarbha. Resided in Dharmadhatu, was in the awareness of each human being.
The tenth great vow: When a human being undertakes the Four Brahma Viharas (The Four Immeasurables), with a heart measuring space; relentlessly rescues the human realm, and is determined to reach Enlightenment and followes the path of Unsurpassed Complete Enlightenment. Maharaja (?) Manjusri, with the vow that provided a basis for the characteristics of grandeur, who did not enter the Three Realms, and also did leave the Three Realms; with a the Heart like space, and always abides in the characteristics of the Ocean of Tathagata Holiness, Tathagatagarbha, resides in Dharmadhatu, and is in the awareness of each human being.

So something like if a person raises and abides in the Four Immeasurables I am there with him and will awaken their Buddha Nature?

What do you think? What does the Chinese say? And how should the Indonesian translation be modified?

Kirt
Last edited by kirtu on Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:09 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

"Most all-knowing Mañjuśrī, ...
Please illuminate the radiant wisdom spirit
Of my precious Buddha nature."
HH Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Re: Vows of Manjushri - Translation from Indonesian to English

Post by kirtu »

Glossary -

berjodoh : verb: be paired, be married
jalan : noun: the road, the path?
Kebuddhaan : noun: Buddhahood
memperoleh : received
menekuni: verb: to dedicate yourself to, to study, something diligently, occupy one’s diligently with something

ke : an intensifier (?) prefix
an : a noun forming suffix
Last edited by kirtu on Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

mudra

Post by mudra »

Kirt, when i get time I will look at this for you.

Incidentally "jodoh" does mean to be paired but in common Indonesian usage it has the connotation to meet one's suitable fate.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

mudra wrote:Kirt, when i get time I will look at this for you.

Incidentally "jodoh" does mean to be paired but in common Indonesian usage it has the connotation to meet one's suitable fate.
Thanks! I can't find an Indonesian grammar but am going through a basic Indonesian study text but it is also light on grammar.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

mudra

Post by mudra »

Kirt, here is my first draft of the intro (which you haven't translated yet), will do second paragraph soon. Will do the vows as I have time...

The Buddha declared to those present, the Bodhisattva Mahasattvas:

“If there are Bodhisattvas who have just generated Bodhicitta as well as the four categories, sons and daughters of good heart (this could originally have been “good family”), and others. Whosoever generates Bodhicitta, the Bodhisattva Manjushri vows: I have 10 vows limitlessly profound vows of the Buddhas, if Bodhisattvas and other beings enter into my vows they will be come chuldren of the Bhagava Buddhas, and simultaneously will be my father and mother. How so? I have great vows; with my ten great vows, firstly for parents, siblings, wife and close ones, to guarantee their welfare, the fruit of blessings will be perfected, elder siblings will be respected by younger siblings, and with compassion killing will be avoided, the Mahayana will be
learnt, the sacred sutras will be recited, , the quality of the masses will be enhanced, and there will be fully fledged commitment to attaining Bodhi (enightenment). I am also Guru, Sangha, disciple, bhiksu, Acarya, a companion in study, a friend and colleague, in order that they receive my Dharma teaching, learn good conduct, follow my example of behaviour, in order that they become inspired to generate the great vow for the sake of Mahayana, diligently strive for Bodhi, until they reach Buddhahood. Thus either if I or others begin to find suitable relations – those who govern, serving the lay people, one by one becoming people deserving of respect, who devote themselves to country, then becoming close to all of society and capable of leading them to enlightenment, taking refuge in the Three Jewels, generating bodhicitta.
mudra

Post by mudra »

The First Great Vow:

If there are beings born in the three worlds, whether I begin or others begin, depending on nidana (cause and effect), or if the Leaders of Catursunyapancasubha (not sure of this Sanskrit, “fourfold voidness of five goodness’/auspiciousness”?),
The leader of Cattvari Dhyanani Brahmaraja, the leaders of Sadkarma, Indra the leader of the gods, Caturdewa the leaders of caturcaka, the leaders of gods and nagas, the leaders of the eight vategories of beings, the leaders of the protectors of the Buddha Dharma, the leaders of the sangha, the leaders of the Caturmahadharaloka, the leaders of Vajradrdha, the leaders of the Virtuous Gods Who Protect the Countrys, the leaders of great and small realms, the leaders of the Four Minor Kings, the leaders of soldiers, the leaders of captial cities, amphibious beings and those born from womb, egg, moisture or spontaneously born, the nine types of worms, all that lives, in the three time, may the Buddha bear witness, those who have yet to hear my name, I resolve to ensure they will hear it, those who have heard my name or who are within my Dharma, may beings generate Bodhicitta and dedicate their merit to the Mahayana, and strive diligently on the path of Anuttara. If there are beings who apply the medicine of Dharma to heal those who are sick, and all astrological calaculation (actually the Indonesian says “calendar calculations”), arts and crafts, literature, singers of hymns of praise, discussions and presentations that are beneficial, guiding all humans, or verious other professions of service of the like, (and by serving) guiding lay people to generate Bodhicitta and correct view, (means) all (have) suitable relations with me, have acquired the path to Buddhahood.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

mudra wrote: may beings generate Bodhicitta and dedicate their merit to the Mahayana, and strive diligently on the path of Anuttara.
Why couldn't we translate this as: "and strive diligently on the highest path" ?

Isn't this the relevant passage?
supaya para insan membangkitkan Bodhicitta dan melimpahkan jasa kepada Mahyana , menekuni jalan Anuttara.
Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

mudra wrote: The leader of Cattvari Dhyanani Brahmaraja, the leaders of Sadkarma, Indra the leader of the gods, Caturdewa the leaders of caturcaka, the leaders of gods and nagas,
Wouldn't this be the Four Great Guardian Kings?

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

mudra wrote: have acquired the path to Buddhahood.
memperoleh jalan Kebuddhaan.
Is memperoleh acquired or received or does it have other connotations? Could this reasonably be translated as "have been set on the path to Buddhaood" or is memperoleh stronger than that?

Is memperoleh the main verb or is it an axillary verb?

Is jalan in the locative case with an idea of motion or is it metaphorical?

Thank-you very much Mudra!
Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

mudra

Post by mudra »

Hi Kirt,
You're welcom! Briefly -

I chose to keep "anuttara" because I think it refers more to HYT than just Highest Path, which arguably could mean something else. Perhaps I am being too interpretive?

'memperoleh' can mean to receive but in context it tends more to "have acquired", it is definitely stronger than simply "have been set on the path" - there is a sense of actively acquiring it.

Here "memperoleh" is the main verb.

"Jalan" here is definitely metaphorical, but it could have the sense of moving along the path

Will do more later on.

Best

M
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

mudra wrote:Hi Kirt,
You're welcom! Briefly -

I chose to keep "anuttara" because I think it refers more to HYT than just Highest Path, which arguably could mean something else.
Thank you Mudra -

anuttara is a common Sanskrit word and is commonly a modifier (but maybe that is because this is mostly how I've seen it used). This is a sutric text and tantric considerations shouldn't come into play without sufficient evidence (and there isn't any here in these ten vows - also all the bodhisattva vow literature I've seen is strictly sutric ).

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

mudra

Post by mudra »

kirtu wrote:
mudra wrote:Hi Kirt,
You're welcom! Briefly -

I chose to keep "anuttara" because I think it refers more to HYT than just Highest Path, which arguably could mean something else.
Thank you Mudra -

anuttara is a common Sanskrit word and is commonly a modifier (but maybe that is because this is mostly how I've seen it used). This is a sutric text and tantric considerations shouldn't come into play without sufficient evidence (and there isn't any here in these ten vows - also all the bodhisattva vow literature I've seen is strictly sutric ).

Kirt

Upon reflection, I think you are right. It is true that it has a more common usage than simply in a tantric context, and although Tantra is seen as the most advanced stage of the Mahayan a path by some, and necessitates Boddhisattva vows, of course it is not a de-rigeur that the term should refer to tantra. Please simply replace it with the highest path .
Apologies.

M
Anders

Post by Anders »

doesn't anuttara more correctly translate as as 'unsurpassed'?

I think where most westerners are likely to encounter the term is in anuttarasamyaksambodhi / unsurpassed right awakening. I wager the unsurpassed path is unsurpassed because it leads to unsurpassed awakening, so there is probably an ideological connection here too.

That said, I think the term is sufficiently obscure that it will leave most readers wondering if left untranslated.
"Even if my body should be burnt to death in the fires of hell
I would endure it for myriad lifetimes
As your companion in practice"

--- Gandavyuha Sutra
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Anders Honore wrote:doesn't anuttara more correctly translate as as 'unsurpassed'?
Thanks Anders -

I think you are correct. We still need to understand the meaning and function of menekuni but jalan Anuttara should be rendered as unsurpassed path.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

plwk

Post by plwk »

Okay here's my feeble attempt and have produced thus far this much and will be back after my overseas trip to look back here, compare notes and continue...

Buddha memberitahukan kepada para hadirin, Para Mahabodhisattva Mahasattva :
(The Buddha informs those present, the Great Bodhisattva Mahasattvas:

“Bila ada Bodhisattva yang baru membangkitkan Bodhicitta serta keempat golongan, putera dan puteri
(When there are Bodhisattvas, who have newly brought forth the Bodhicitta, as well as the Fourfold Assembly, sons and daughters)

yang berbudi, dan yang lainnya. Barang siapa membangkitkan Bodhicitta, Manjusri Bodhisattva berikrar :
(who are kind and so forth. Whosoever arouses the Bodhicitta, Manjusri Bodhisattva pledges/vows: )

Saya ada sepuluh macam ikrar Para Buddha yang mendalam tanpa batas, bila para Bodhisattva dan para
(I have ten of such Buddha pledges/vows that are profoundly boundless, when the Bodhisattvas and)

insan memasuki ikrar –Ku, maka mereka merupakan anak Baghavan Para Buddha, dan sekaligus
(mankind enters in My Pledge/Vow, hence they are children of the Lord, the Buddha and at once)

merupakan ayah – bunda Ku. Mengapa demikian ? Saya mempunyai ikrar agung, dengan sepuluh ikrar
agung Ku,
(are My father and mother. Why so? I have great pledges/vows, with ten great pledges/vows of Mine,)

terlebih dahulu demi orang tua, kakak dan adik, istri dan kerabat, membuat mereka menjadi sejahtera, buah
berkah menjadi sempurna,
(first and foremost for the elderly, elder sister and younger sibling, wife and relatives, causing them to be peaceful, perfecting the fruits of blessings,)

kakak dihormati oleh adiknya, dengan hati belas kasih menghindari pembunuhan, mempelajari Mahayana,
(elder sister respected by her younger sibling, with a heart of compassion averting killing, learning the Mahayana)

melafal sutra suci, meningkatkan kualitas khalayak, bertekad mencapai Boddhi.
(pronouncing the holy Sutras, enhancing public quality, determined to attain to Bodhi.)

Saya juga menjadi Guru, Sangha , siswa, bhiksu, Acarya, teman belajar, mitra, supaya mereka menerima
(I also become the teacher, Sangha, student, monk, guide, study mate, friend, so that they receive)

ajaran Dharma ku, mempelajari tata krama, mencontoh kesantunan Ku, supaya mereka terinspirasi
(My Dharma teaching, learning the system of mannerism, emulating My mannerism, in order that they be inspired)

membangkitkan ikrar agung demi Mahayana, menekuni Boddhi, sampai merealisasikan Kebuddhaan.
(to evoke great pledges/vows for the Mahayana, diligent in Bodhi, until realizing Buddhahood)

Maka dengan demikian entah Aku yang memulai atau pihak lain yang memulai (mengikat jodoh), (seperti)
(Therefore, either it is Me who begins or others who begin (bonding matches/affinity?) (such as)

orang–orang pemerintahan, melayani masyarakat awam, satu-persatu menjadi terhormat, berbakti pada
Negara,
(people in governance, servicing the civil society, one by one becoming respectable, dedicated to the Country)

sehingga menjalin jodoh dengan semua masyarakat dan bisa menuntun menuju Boddhi, bersarana pada Triratna, membangkitkan Bodhicitta.
(until establishing bonds/affinity with all in society and able to guide towards Bodhi, taking refuge in the Triple Gem, arousing Bodhicitta.)

Kenapa dinamakan sepuluh macam ikrar agung yang mendalam:
(Why it is named the ten such great pledges/vows that are profound: )

Ikrar agung pertama :
(The First Great Pledge/Vow)

Bila ada para insan yang terlahir di triloka,bila Aku yang memulai atau pihak lain yang memulai,
(When there are mankind (sentient beings?) who are born in the Three Worlds, when I who begin or others who begin,)

tergantung dengan nidana, ataupun bila Pimpinan Catursunyapancasubha, pimpinan Cattvari Dhyanani
Brahmaraja,
(hanging with the chain of causation or leadership of the Catursunyapancasubha, leadership of the Four Dhyana Brahma Kings,)

pimpinan Sadkama, Indra pimpinan para Dewa, Caturdewa pimpinan caturcakra, pimpinan para dewa dan naga, pimpinan kedelapan kelompok makhluk, pimpinan Pelindung Buddha Dharma, pimpinan sangharama,
leadership of the Sadkama, Indra’s leadership of the gods, (Four Gods’ leadership of the Four Wheels?), leadership of the gods and dragons, leadership of the eightfold division of beings, leadership of the Protectors of the Buddha Dharma, leadership of the Sangha Monastery,)

pimpinan Caturmahadharaloka, pimpinan Vajradrdha, pimpinan Dewa Kebajikan Pelindung Negara, pimpinan negeri besar dan kecil, pimpinan empat Raja Kecil, pimpinan para prajurit, pimpinan ibu kota, makhluk amfibi, maupun yang terlahir dari rahim – telur - kelembaban dan spontan, Sembilan jenis cacing,
(leadership of the (Four Heavenly Kings?), leadership of Vajradrdha, leadership of the Welfare of the Nation/Country Guardian/Protector deity, leadership of great and small States, leadership of the Four Minor Kings, leadership of the soldiers, leadership of the capital city, amphibian creatures, or those born from wombs, eggs, moisture and spontaneous, the nine kinds of worms,)

semua yang bernyawa, yang lahir di tiga masa, semoga Buddha menjadi saksinya, yang belum pernah mendengar nama Ku,
(all living beings, those born in three periods, may the Buddha be witness, those who have not heard My Name,)

aku bertekad membuat mereka mendengarnya, Yang mendengarkan nama Ku, atau yang berada dalam
Dharma Ku,
(I determine to cause them to listen, those who hear My Name or within My Dharma)

supaya para insan membangkitkan Bodhicitta dan melimpahkan jasa kepada Mahyana , menekuni jalan Anuttara.
(so that mankind may arouse the Bodhicitta and overflow merits to the Mahayana, diligently towards the Path of the Unsurpassed.)

Jika ada insan yang menggunakan obat Dharma atau ilmu kedokteran duniawi untuk menyembuhkan yang
sakit,
(If there are mankind/those who employ the medicine of Dharma or the worldly knowledge of medicine for healing the sick)

(serta) penghitungan penanggalan, kesenian dan kerajinan, kesusastraan, penyanyi lagu-lagu pujian, diskusi
([along] with consideration of detachment, skills and diligence, literature, singer of praises, discussion)

dan presentasi yang bermanfaat, membimbing umat manusia, atau berbagai pekerjaan (berjasa) lainnya
(and beneficial presentation, guiding humanity, or myriad (meritorious) works and so forth)

semacam itu, (dan dengan pelayanannya) membimbing orang awam untuk membangkitkan Bodhicitta serta
(as like it [and with service) to guide the public to arouse the Bodhicitta as well as]
pandangan benar, (berarti) semuanya (telah) berjodoh dengan Ku, memperoleh jalan Kebuddhaan.
(True/Right View, (with meaning) that all (has been/already) bonded with Me, obtaining the Path of Buddhahood.)

:namaste:
mudra

Post by mudra »

kirtu wrote:
Anders Honore wrote:doesn't anuttara more correctly translate as as 'unsurpassed'?
Thanks Anders -

I think you are correct. We still need to understand the meaning and function of menekuni but jalan Anuttara should be rendered as unsurpassed path.

Kirt
Menekuni = to strive diligently (tekun=- diligent, and as often is the case in Indonesian this can be made into a verb or an adverb)
mudra

Post by mudra »

plwk, actually your attempt was not bad at all.

A couple of corrections:

sejahtera=well being, welfare. So here it is 'to ensure the welfare of'

kakak = older sibling, male or female

tata krama= etiquette, proper formal conduct

kesantunan = politeness (santun=polite, well mannered)

membangkitkan= in this context more to 'generate' (bangkit=to rise)

"Maka dengan demikian entah Aku yang memulai atau pihak lain yang memulai (mengikat jodoh), (seperti)"
(Therefore, either (whether it is Me who begins or others who begin (bonding matches/affinity?) (such as)

Return to “Language”