locating previous lineage

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Madeliaette
Location: Currently in Sussex, England. Formerly in Wollongong, Australia.

locating previous lineage

Post by Madeliaette »

I have a question that someone here may be able to help with -
How can one best locate a Tibetan lineage from a former life's practice?
I ask because I want to locate and continue with the specific lineage and practices that I had in a former life but am not sure where to continue my search.

I have managed to narrow it down a little - and know that I have previously studied and practiced Buddhism for sure, and also that it has been in a Tibetan Vajrayana tradition, and I have recently worked out that it is almost definitely a Nyingma lineage - but where should I go from here?
deff

Re: locating previous lineage

Post by deff »

you could try getting a mirror divination from Lama Dawa about it - http://lamadawa.com/divinations.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

deff's advice is right on the money.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Paul

Post by Paul »

deff wrote:you could try getting a mirror divination from Lama Dawa about it - http://lamadawa.com/divinations.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Do this. I did - it was bang on.
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
mudra

Post by mudra »

Make many prayers to the Buddhas, and as you are attracted to Nyingma, especially to Guru Rinpoche, for blessings (inspiration). try not to have great expectations but be observant as to what arises subsequently.
Madeliaette

Post by Madeliaette »

Thanks - I will look into both options!
Madeliaette

Post by Madeliaette »

UPDATE: I have got as far as finding the name of the lineage - Longchen Nyingthig Lineage - but am back to square one again! :lol:
I have been researching and now find that there are multiple 'branches' to this lineage - at least 4!
Oh well, I guess I am half way there!!
gnegirl

Post by gnegirl »

Cool! Hope you find your way home :)
"Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise." --Surangama Sutra

Phenomenon, vast as space, dharmata is your base, arising and falling like ocean tide cycles, why do i cling to your illusion of unceasing changlessness?
Madeliaette

Post by Madeliaette »

Thanks... there doesn't seem to be anywhere/anyone nearby, but I was expecting that - there never has been! However, in a few years I can travel to any place in the UK or Australia and intend to locate myself appropriately close to a Buddhist center of the correct lineage - IF I can find one by then! :shrug: :D
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

I think the Buddha said something along the lines of: If you want to know where you came from lok at where you are now and if you want to know where you will go, look at where you are right now.
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
ngodrup

Post by ngodrup »

Longchen Nyingtik is the most popular of Nyingma lineages.
There are many, many teachers who can help you.
What good fortune to have it so easy.
Now, if there's a Longchen Nyingtik Lineage holder
in your back yard as it were, study with him or her.
Madeliaette

Post by Madeliaette »

If only I could.... :shrug: I cannot find any research links to such in this location/country though - although there seem to be possibilities for online connections/contact and there might be options when/if I eventually return to Australia. There just seems to be such a mass of branches all leading to teachers in every part of the planet BUT where I am... :thinking: I guess i need to 'up' my merit score before i deserve to find an apropr teacher! :rolling:
Dechen Norbu

Post by Dechen Norbu »

You say you're having trouble finding a Nyingma center in the UK? :o
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Madeliaette wrote:If only I could.... :shrug: I cannot find any research links to such in this location/country though - although there seem to be possibilities for online connections/contact and there might be options when/if I eventually return to Australia. There just seems to be such a mass of branches all leading to teachers in every part of the planet BUT where I am... :thinking: I guess i need to 'up' my merit score before i deserve to find an apropr teacher! :rolling:
Your current options are a consequence of your karma. Work on accumulating merit so that you can achieve you preferred result. Work with whatever you have at your disposal RIGHT NOW. Tomorrow you may be dead (or incapable of practice). The bet laid plans of mice and men...
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
heart

Post by heart »

Madeliaette wrote:If only I could.... :shrug: I cannot find any research links to such in this location/country though - although there seem to be possibilities for online connections/contact and there might be options when/if I eventually return to Australia. There just seems to be such a mass of branches all leading to teachers in every part of the planet BUT where I am... :thinking: I guess i need to 'up' my merit score before i deserve to find an apropr teacher! :rolling:
Rigpa centers do Longchen Nyingthik, Dzogchen Rinpoche also have a center http://www.shenpenuk.org/shenpen" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
tamdrin

Post by tamdrin »

Dodrupchen Rinpoche and Chatral Rinpoche are LN lamas.. Good luck meeting with them however (Dodrupchen is a little more accessible if you can get to Gangtok however)
Madeliaette

Post by Madeliaette »

I currently cannot get out of the local village, as I care FT for my dad - but I would like to make contact with a center now, leading to attending in the future.
You say you're having trouble finding a Nyingma center in the UK? :o
Maybe my googleing skills are bad - I typed in the lineage, buddhist center, and UK.... with no luck.
Your current options are a consequence of your karma.
That's how I look at it, too - and I am trying to work towards creating a better ending than start to this life, and a good start next life...As you say, what I have now - that's books, ACI classes/study of Shantideva with a Rinpoche - both online... and awareness of what I did wrong in my last life. (I know WHY I have my troubles, at least. :smile: )

I will check those hints/links - thanks....
Dechen Norbu

Post by Dechen Norbu »

Rigpa's link:
http://uk.rigpa.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”