Dakini script

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
devilyoudont

Dakini script

Post by devilyoudont »

While I'm here, I've been told that some Buddhist tantric works contain lines in a "Dakini language". Is there any information about this on the net or is it secret?
Josef

Re: Dakini script

Post by Josef »

devilyoudont wrote:While I'm here, I've been told that some Buddhist tantric works contain lines in a "Dakini language". Is there any information about this on the net or is it secret?
Its pretty secret.
Only a handful of lama's can decipher it, the late Dilgo Khyentse is an example.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
devilyoudont

Post by devilyoudont »

Thanks.

Is there no information about it? Eg. Which texts/traditions use it, etc?
Josef

Post by Josef »

devilyoudont wrote:Thanks.

Is there no information about it? Eg. Which texts/traditions use it, etc?
Its primarily a terma thing.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
devilyoudont

Post by devilyoudont »

Nangwa wrote:Its primarily a terma thing.
Really. Does Bon have it too?
heart

Post by heart »

http://www.dakiniscripts.at/haus/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
devilyoudont

Post by devilyoudont »

Thanks! That's what I was looking for.
narraboth

Post by narraboth »

I think reading dakini script might have different meanings.

Dakini script can be the simbol of a terma cycle, from which could generate a big volume of texts.
There are some simbols often seen on a terma texts which are obviously not Tibetan; I have heard that some lama can actually read it... still, it's not a thing that every lama can do, but maybe to be able to read dakini script is the same as to be able to get terma from a 'yellow roll' are different?
ngodrup

Post by ngodrup »

As I understand it, this code writing is unintelligible to anybody but the
terton destined to decode it. To others it is recognizable as Dakini
script, but they cannot understand it. This is *not* a topic taught at
Shedra-- Dharma Universities like Mindrolling or Dzogchen's Shri Singha.

Seems sometimes more than one Terton is able to decipher a particular text.
Josef

Post by Josef »

devilyoudont wrote:
Nangwa wrote:Its primarily a terma thing.
Really. Does Bon have it too?
They would probably say that they do.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

I happened to see some Naxi hieroglyphics that reminded me of Dakini script.

In "Blazing Splendor", the memoirs of Tulku Urygen's family, there is a story where he and Dilgo Khytentse decipher Dakini script.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Josef

Post by Josef »

kirtu wrote:I happened to see some Naxi hieroglyphics that reminded me of Dakini script.

In "Blazing Splendor", the memoirs of Tulku Urygen's family, there is a story where he and Dilgo Khytentse decipher Dakini script.

Kirt
Thats a really cool story.
Really cool book all together.
heart

Post by heart »

Nangwa wrote:
kirtu wrote:I happened to see some Naxi hieroglyphics that reminded me of Dakini script.

Kirt
Thats a really cool story.
Really cool book all together.
Yeah, love that story. It actually explains a lot about terma.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”