Re: Vows of Manjushri

Looking for translations, or for help with translations and transliterations? This is the place.
kirtu
Former staff member

Postby kirtu » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:46 am

Last edited by kirtu on Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:09 pm, edited 14 times in total.

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

kirtu
Former staff member

Re: Vows of Manjushri - Translation from Indonesian to English

Postby kirtu » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:13 pm

Glossary -

berjodoh : verb: be paired, be married
jalan : noun: the road, the path?
Kebuddhaan : noun: Buddhahood
memperoleh : received
menekuni: verb: to dedicate yourself to, to study, something diligently, occupy one’s diligently with something

ke : an intensifier (?) prefix
an : a noun forming suffix
Last edited by kirtu on Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

mudra

Postby mudra » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:56 pm

Kirt, when i get time I will look at this for you.

Incidentally "jodoh" does mean to be paired but in common Indonesian usage it has the connotation to meet one's suitable fate.

kirtu
Former staff member

Postby kirtu » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:16 pm

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

mudra

Postby mudra » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:34 am

Kirt, here is my first draft of the intro (which you haven't translated yet), will do second paragraph soon. Will do the vows as I have time...

The Buddha declared to those present, the Bodhisattva Mahasattvas:

“If there are Bodhisattvas who have just generated Bodhicitta as well as the four categories, sons and daughters of good heart (this could originally have been “good family”), and others. Whosoever generates Bodhicitta, the Bodhisattva Manjushri vows: I have 10 vows limitlessly profound vows of the Buddhas, if Bodhisattvas and other beings enter into my vows they will be come chuldren of the Bhagava Buddhas, and simultaneously will be my father and mother. How so? I have great vows; with my ten great vows, firstly for parents, siblings, wife and close ones, to guarantee their welfare, the fruit of blessings will be perfected, elder siblings will be respected by younger siblings, and with compassion killing will be avoided, the Mahayana will be
learnt, the sacred sutras will be recited, , the quality of the masses will be enhanced, and there will be fully fledged commitment to attaining Bodhi (enightenment). I am also Guru, Sangha, disciple, bhiksu, Acarya, a companion in study, a friend and colleague, in order that they receive my Dharma teaching, learn good conduct, follow my example of behaviour, in order that they become inspired to generate the great vow for the sake of Mahayana, diligently strive for Bodhi, until they reach Buddhahood. Thus either if I or others begin to find suitable relations – those who govern, serving the lay people, one by one becoming people deserving of respect, who devote themselves to country, then becoming close to all of society and capable of leading them to enlightenment, taking refuge in the Three Jewels, generating bodhicitta.

mudra

Postby mudra » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:53 am

The First Great Vow:

If there are beings born in the three worlds, whether I begin or others begin, depending on nidana (cause and effect), or if the Leaders of Catursunyapancasubha (not sure of this Sanskrit, “fourfold voidness of five goodness’/auspiciousness”?),
The leader of Cattvari Dhyanani Brahmaraja, the leaders of Sadkarma, Indra the leader of the gods, Caturdewa the leaders of caturcaka, the leaders of gods and nagas, the leaders of the eight vategories of beings, the leaders of the protectors of the Buddha Dharma, the leaders of the sangha, the leaders of the Caturmahadharaloka, the leaders of Vajradrdha, the leaders of the Virtuous Gods Who Protect the Countrys, the leaders of great and small realms, the leaders of the Four Minor Kings, the leaders of soldiers, the leaders of captial cities, amphibious beings and those born from womb, egg, moisture or spontaneously born, the nine types of worms, all that lives, in the three time, may the Buddha bear witness, those who have yet to hear my name, I resolve to ensure they will hear it, those who have heard my name or who are within my Dharma, may beings generate Bodhicitta and dedicate their merit to the Mahayana, and strive diligently on the path of Anuttara. If there are beings who apply the medicine of Dharma to heal those who are sick, and all astrological calaculation (actually the Indonesian says “calendar calculations”), arts and crafts, literature, singers of hymns of praise, discussions and presentations that are beneficial, guiding all humans, or verious other professions of service of the like, (and by serving) guiding lay people to generate Bodhicitta and correct view, (means) all (have) suitable relations with me, have acquired the path to Buddhahood.

kirtu
Former staff member

Postby kirtu » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:06 pm

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

kirtu
Former staff member

Postby kirtu » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:17 pm

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

kirtu
Former staff member

Postby kirtu » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:47 pm

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

mudra

Postby mudra » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:37 am

Hi Kirt,
You're welcom! Briefly -

I chose to keep "anuttara" because I think it refers more to HYT than just Highest Path, which arguably could mean something else. Perhaps I am being too interpretive?

'memperoleh' can mean to receive but in context it tends more to "have acquired", it is definitely stronger than simply "have been set on the path" - there is a sense of actively acquiring it.

Here "memperoleh" is the main verb.

"Jalan" here is definitely metaphorical, but it could have the sense of moving along the path

Will do more later on.

Best

M

kirtu
Former staff member

Postby kirtu » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:45 pm

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

mudra

Postby mudra » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:18 am

Anders

Postby Anders » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:25 am

doesn't anuttara more correctly translate as as 'unsurpassed'?

I think where most westerners are likely to encounter the term is in anuttarasamyaksambodhi / unsurpassed right awakening. I wager the unsurpassed path is unsurpassed because it leads to unsurpassed awakening, so there is probably an ideological connection here too.

That said, I think the term is sufficiently obscure that it will leave most readers wondering if left untranslated.
"Even if my body should be burnt to death in the fires of hell
I would endure it for myriad lifetimes
As your companion in practice"

--- Gandavyuha Sutra

kirtu
Former staff member

Postby kirtu » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:56 pm

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

plwk

Postby plwk » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:58 pm

Okay here's my feeble attempt and have produced thus far this much and will be back after my overseas trip to look back here, compare notes and continue...

Buddha memberitahukan kepada para hadirin, Para Mahabodhisattva Mahasattva :
(The Buddha informs those present, the Great Bodhisattva Mahasattvas:

“Bila ada Bodhisattva yang baru membangkitkan Bodhicitta serta keempat golongan, putera dan puteri
(When there are Bodhisattvas, who have newly brought forth the Bodhicitta, as well as the Fourfold Assembly, sons and daughters)

yang berbudi, dan yang lainnya. Barang siapa membangkitkan Bodhicitta, Manjusri Bodhisattva berikrar :
(who are kind and so forth. Whosoever arouses the Bodhicitta, Manjusri Bodhisattva pledges/vows: )

Saya ada sepuluh macam ikrar Para Buddha yang mendalam tanpa batas, bila para Bodhisattva dan para
(I have ten of such Buddha pledges/vows that are profoundly boundless, when the Bodhisattvas and)

insan memasuki ikrar –Ku, maka mereka merupakan anak Baghavan Para Buddha, dan sekaligus
(mankind enters in My Pledge/Vow, hence they are children of the Lord, the Buddha and at once)

merupakan ayah – bunda Ku. Mengapa demikian ? Saya mempunyai ikrar agung, dengan sepuluh ikrar
agung Ku,
(are My father and mother. Why so? I have great pledges/vows, with ten great pledges/vows of Mine,)

terlebih dahulu demi orang tua, kakak dan adik, istri dan kerabat, membuat mereka menjadi sejahtera, buah
berkah menjadi sempurna,
(first and foremost for the elderly, elder sister and younger sibling, wife and relatives, causing them to be peaceful, perfecting the fruits of blessings,)

kakak dihormati oleh adiknya, dengan hati belas kasih menghindari pembunuhan, mempelajari Mahayana,
(elder sister respected by her younger sibling, with a heart of compassion averting killing, learning the Mahayana)

melafal sutra suci, meningkatkan kualitas khalayak, bertekad mencapai Boddhi.
(pronouncing the holy Sutras, enhancing public quality, determined to attain to Bodhi.)

Saya juga menjadi Guru, Sangha , siswa, bhiksu, Acarya, teman belajar, mitra, supaya mereka menerima
(I also become the teacher, Sangha, student, monk, guide, study mate, friend, so that they receive)

ajaran Dharma ku, mempelajari tata krama, mencontoh kesantunan Ku, supaya mereka terinspirasi
(My Dharma teaching, learning the system of mannerism, emulating My mannerism, in order that they be inspired)

membangkitkan ikrar agung demi Mahayana, menekuni Boddhi, sampai merealisasikan Kebuddhaan.
(to evoke great pledges/vows for the Mahayana, diligent in Bodhi, until realizing Buddhahood)

Maka dengan demikian entah Aku yang memulai atau pihak lain yang memulai (mengikat jodoh), (seperti)
(Therefore, either it is Me who begins or others who begin (bonding matches/affinity?) (such as)

orang–orang pemerintahan, melayani masyarakat awam, satu-persatu menjadi terhormat, berbakti pada
Negara,
(people in governance, servicing the civil society, one by one becoming respectable, dedicated to the Country)

sehingga menjalin jodoh dengan semua masyarakat dan bisa menuntun menuju Boddhi, bersarana pada Triratna, membangkitkan Bodhicitta.
(until establishing bonds/affinity with all in society and able to guide towards Bodhi, taking refuge in the Triple Gem, arousing Bodhicitta.)

Kenapa dinamakan sepuluh macam ikrar agung yang mendalam:
(Why it is named the ten such great pledges/vows that are profound: )

Ikrar agung pertama :
(The First Great Pledge/Vow)

Bila ada para insan yang terlahir di triloka,bila Aku yang memulai atau pihak lain yang memulai,
(When there are mankind (sentient beings?) who are born in the Three Worlds, when I who begin or others who begin,)

tergantung dengan nidana, ataupun bila Pimpinan Catursunyapancasubha, pimpinan Cattvari Dhyanani
Brahmaraja,
(hanging with the chain of causation or leadership of the Catursunyapancasubha, leadership of the Four Dhyana Brahma Kings,)

pimpinan Sadkama, Indra pimpinan para Dewa, Caturdewa pimpinan caturcakra, pimpinan para dewa dan naga, pimpinan kedelapan kelompok makhluk, pimpinan Pelindung Buddha Dharma, pimpinan sangharama,
leadership of the Sadkama, Indra’s leadership of the gods, (Four Gods’ leadership of the Four Wheels?), leadership of the gods and dragons, leadership of the eightfold division of beings, leadership of the Protectors of the Buddha Dharma, leadership of the Sangha Monastery,)

pimpinan Caturmahadharaloka, pimpinan Vajradrdha, pimpinan Dewa Kebajikan Pelindung Negara, pimpinan negeri besar dan kecil, pimpinan empat Raja Kecil, pimpinan para prajurit, pimpinan ibu kota, makhluk amfibi, maupun yang terlahir dari rahim – telur - kelembaban dan spontan, Sembilan jenis cacing,
(leadership of the (Four Heavenly Kings?), leadership of Vajradrdha, leadership of the Welfare of the Nation/Country Guardian/Protector deity, leadership of great and small States, leadership of the Four Minor Kings, leadership of the soldiers, leadership of the capital city, amphibian creatures, or those born from wombs, eggs, moisture and spontaneous, the nine kinds of worms,)

semua yang bernyawa, yang lahir di tiga masa, semoga Buddha menjadi saksinya, yang belum pernah mendengar nama Ku,
(all living beings, those born in three periods, may the Buddha be witness, those who have not heard My Name,)

aku bertekad membuat mereka mendengarnya, Yang mendengarkan nama Ku, atau yang berada dalam
Dharma Ku,
(I determine to cause them to listen, those who hear My Name or within My Dharma)

supaya para insan membangkitkan Bodhicitta dan melimpahkan jasa kepada Mahyana , menekuni jalan Anuttara.
(so that mankind may arouse the Bodhicitta and overflow merits to the Mahayana, diligently towards the Path of the Unsurpassed.)

Jika ada insan yang menggunakan obat Dharma atau ilmu kedokteran duniawi untuk menyembuhkan yang
sakit,
(If there are mankind/those who employ the medicine of Dharma or the worldly knowledge of medicine for healing the sick)

(serta) penghitungan penanggalan, kesenian dan kerajinan, kesusastraan, penyanyi lagu-lagu pujian, diskusi
([along] with consideration of detachment, skills and diligence, literature, singer of praises, discussion)

dan presentasi yang bermanfaat, membimbing umat manusia, atau berbagai pekerjaan (berjasa) lainnya
(and beneficial presentation, guiding humanity, or myriad (meritorious) works and so forth)

semacam itu, (dan dengan pelayanannya) membimbing orang awam untuk membangkitkan Bodhicitta serta
(as like it [and with service) to guide the public to arouse the Bodhicitta as well as]
pandangan benar, (berarti) semuanya (telah) berjodoh dengan Ku, memperoleh jalan Kebuddhaan.
(True/Right View, (with meaning) that all (has been/already) bonded with Me, obtaining the Path of Buddhahood.)

:namaste:

mudra

Postby mudra » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:42 pm

mudra

Postby mudra » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:53 pm

plwk, actually your attempt was not bad at all.

A couple of corrections:

sejahtera=well being, welfare. So here it is 'to ensure the welfare of'

kakak = older sibling, male or female

tata krama= etiquette, proper formal conduct

kesantunan = politeness (santun=polite, well mannered)

membangkitkan= in this context more to 'generate' (bangkit=to rise)

"Maka dengan demikian entah Aku yang memulai atau pihak lain yang memulai (mengikat jodoh), (seperti)"
(Therefore, either (whether it is Me who begins or others who begin (bonding matches/affinity?) (such as)

Return to “Language”