Dharma Wheel

A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:26 pm
Posts: 60
The only meaningful ranking of lamas from the four sects is a political one. Any other ranking is a step towards dissolution of the schools into the Gelug.

I do not equate a political Karmapa with Kagyu power: the point is again that a political Karmapa goes hand in hand with the dissolution of the Kagyu in accord with the wishes of His Holiness the Dalai Lama.

As for resistance to a political Karmapa from hardline Gelugpas - see the NKT and their eastern counterparts.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:23 pm
Posts: 1967
conebeckham wrote:
Actually, according to "Tibetan High Tulku Hierarchy," HH Sakya Trizin is the number two guy....HH Karmapa is third in line....if you care about such things. From a purely political point of view, the Panchen Lama would be the number two guy, at least in recent Tibetan historical terms.

In Tibet, you know, politcs and tulkus went together. Although HH Orgyen Tinley Dorje stated something to the effect that Karmapas have never been involved in politics, that's not entirely true. At various times throughout Tibetan history, HH Karmapa, HH Sakya Trizin, and other high tulkus inside and outside the Geluk lineage have played political roles, both in Tibet, and in China, Mongolia and other lands bordering "Tibet" proper.

It's possible that the Tibetan Government structure will move toward a more democratic model, and less direct influence from High Lamas may be part of that. Also notable that, in Tibetan politics, the Geluk order has been the most influential for more than a century, and I would wonder about the Tibetan political machine supporting a move toward Kagyu power. It's my wish that all of the institutional lineages remain relevant, and equal, and that Lamas focus on propagating the Dharma instead of involving themselves primarily in politics. But, you know, public figures are political by nature.

As for the "Tibetan Cause" having a figurehead on the World Stage, I don't know what will happen.


Your post is very relevant to the thread on HHDL's resignation as political head, and creating a democracy.

It begs all sorts of questions about the nature of that power within an Indian democracy or within Tibet under Chinese rule.
Maybe the first question to ask is whether there needs to be a replacement at all, and if there needs to be an overall political or even religious leader. Could the schools follow their own paths with mutual respect and synergy/symbiosis without an over-arching leader?

_________________
Left


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:49 pm
Posts: 2808
Location: Bay Area, CA, USA
I believe, Yeshe, that it is inevitable. And I agree with Sherabpa that any "ranking" across lineages is solely political in nature.

I think (and hope, frankly) that an explicitly political dimension to Tibetan Dharma is on the way out. But it will take time.

I do not, however, agree with Sherabpa that the Dalai Lama wishes to consolidate all four lineages. There's history there, but I think it is poorly understood.

_________________
May any merit generated by on-line discussion
Be dedicated to the Ultimate Benefit of All Sentient Beings.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:49 pm
Posts: 2808
Location: Bay Area, CA, USA
http://www.atimes.com/atimes/South_Asia/MC10Df02.html

According to this news story, New Delhi has now recgonized HH Orgyen Tinley Dorje officially.
This story also says that the money was "indeed legitimate donations from various nations."

There's a bunch of other stuff in this article about various conspiracy theories, as well...and a discussion of India's problems with regard to state and federal levels of gov't.

In any case, the http://www.kagyuoffice.org site is featuring news about religious and Losar observances.

_________________
May any merit generated by on-line discussion
Be dedicated to the Ultimate Benefit of All Sentient Beings.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:06 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:55 pm
Posts: 3142
I don't understand all this paranoia and talk about politics.

The Dalai Lama was the king of Tibet. He still is a Tulku with his own monastery. He have never been the head of the Gelug. He is definitely a lama in the spirit of Rimey, he is taking teachings and teaching from all lineages including the Bon. He have said since the 60s that he is the last Dalai Lama and that he want the Tibetan people to have democracy. If he is close to the Karmapa it is without doubt just because they have a teacher-disciple relationship. So what is this paranoia based in? Some ridiculous articles written by some ill-informed journalists?

/magnus

_________________
"To reject practice by saying, 'it is conceptual!' is the path of fools. A tendency of the inexperienced and something to be avoided."
- Longchenpa


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:49 pm
Posts: 2808
Location: Bay Area, CA, USA
Magnus-

Frankly, the "politics" thing is used to somehow imply that some Lamas are somehow "less spiritual" (let's say, "less concerned with the primacy of transmssion and practice of Dharma," to flesh it out a bit more) when they "engage in politics."

Conversely, to be "non-political" as a Lama implies that one is "spiritually pure" presumably because one does not involve one's Dharma with samsaric activity...at least, that is how I understand the issue.

I do suppose that if one were truly a political figure, i.e., involved in government affairs, the burden of such involvement may leave one less time for formal practice and transmission, etc. Though HH the Dalai Lama seems to get in more hours of practice per day than most of us "non-political" shleps with day jobs.....

It is to be noted that, as far as I can tell, there are only two organizations that apply this dichotomy to High Lamas..one of them has direct bearing on the subject of this thread.

_________________
May any merit generated by on-line discussion
Be dedicated to the Ultimate Benefit of All Sentient Beings.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:40 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:55 pm
Posts: 3142
conebeckham wrote:
Magnus-

Frankly, the "politics" thing is used to somehow imply that some Lamas are somehow "less spiritual" (let's say, "less concerned with the primacy of transmssion and practice of Dharma," to flesh it out a bit more) when they "engage in politics."

Conversely, to be "non-political" as a Lama implies that one is "spiritually pure" presumably because one does not involve one's Dharma with samsaric activity...at least, that is how I understand the issue.

I do suppose that if one were truly a political figure, i.e., involved in government affairs, the burden of such involvement may leave one less time for formal practice and transmission, etc. Though HH the Dalai Lama seems to get in more hours of practice per day than most of us "non-political" shleps with day jobs.....

It is to be noted that, as far as I can tell, there are only two organizations that apply this dichotomy to High Lamas..one of them has direct bearing on the subject of this thread.


So according to this theory the Dalai Lama is not a pure teacher because he have been the "king" of Tibet? Makes no sense to me at all, there been many Dharma kings in the past and there is still in places such as Buthan. And what is this complete nonsense about Karmapa becoming a Gelug? Seriously?

/magnus

_________________
"To reject practice by saying, 'it is conceptual!' is the path of fools. A tendency of the inexperienced and something to be avoided."
- Longchenpa


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:59 pm
Posts: 27
conebeckham wrote:
According to this news story, New Delhi has now recgonized HH Orgyen Tinley Dorje officially.


In this case can HH Karmapa finally go to Rumtek?

Regards

Arisamea


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:53 am
Posts: 486
sherabpa wrote:
The only meaningful ranking of lamas from the four sects is a political one. Any other ranking is a step towards dissolution of the schools into the Gelug.

I do not equate a political Karmapa with Kagyu power: the point is again that a political Karmapa goes hand in hand with the dissolution of the Kagyu in accord with the wishes of His Holiness the Dalai Lama.

This is scary stuff. Maybe the real reason HHDL is close to HHK is to convert him to the Gelugpa - another sneaky trick to neutralize the Kagyu. I knew there was something sinister going on the first time I saw these two Buddhist monks showing respect for each other. Someone should warn Sakya Trizin and Mindrolling Rinpoche before it's too late. Incredible and it just sounds so plausible. Who would have thought there was an active conspiracy to destroy Tibetan Buddhism master-minded by none other than HHDL himself. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.


Last edited by Tilopa on Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:53 am
Posts: 486
heart wrote:
I don't understand all this paranoia and talk about politics.

Paranoid fantasies are always a bit difficult to understand by those with rational mental faculties.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:01 pm
Posts: 100
Location: Norway
arisaema81 wrote:
conebeckham wrote:
According to this news story, New Delhi has now recgonized HH Orgyen Tinley Dorje officially.


In this case can HH Karmapa finally go to Rumtek?


That's a good question.

_________________
OM GATE GATE PARAGATE PARASAMGATE BODHI SVAHA
KTL Buddhist videos


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:49 pm
Posts: 2808
Location: Bay Area, CA, USA
Quote:
This is scary stuff. Maybe the real reason HHDL is close to HHK is to convert him to the Gelugpa - another sneaky trick to neutralize the Kagyu. I knew there was something sinister going on the first time I saw these two Buddhist monks showing respect for each other. Someone should warn Sakya Trizin and Mindrolling Rinpoche before it's too late. Incredible and it just sounds so plausible. Who would have thought there was an active conspiracy to destroy Tibetan Buddhism master-minded by none other than HHDL himself. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.


Well...

Something actually DID happen, (long ago, in a galaxy far, far away....) and I do not want to belabor the issue. Suffice it to say, from what I understand, it was never the Dalai Lama's intent to consolidate all the lineages.....but there were others, in positions of relative power, who may have been attempting to engineer such a thing.

A little digging on the net should be able to reveal particulars, but I don't feel the need to trot out the whole thing here.....

_________________
May any merit generated by on-line discussion
Be dedicated to the Ultimate Benefit of All Sentient Beings.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:53 am
Posts: 486
arisaema81 wrote:
In this case can HH Karmapa finally go to Rumtek?

Not necessarily. The article says the Indian Government has recognized HHK as a religious leader not the undisputed head of the Karma Kagyu tradition.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:53 am
Posts: 486
conebeckham wrote:
Something actually DID happen.....

Many things happened and they weren't always good.

Read this for a disturbing insight into the politics of religion in Tibet.
http://www.amazon.com/History-Modern-Ti ... 0520075900

But an active Gelug conspiracy to destroy the other Tibetan traditions? :rolling:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:01 pm
Posts: 100
Location: Norway
Tilopa wrote:
arisaema81 wrote:
In this case can HH Karmapa finally go to Rumtek?

Not necessarily. The article says the Indian Government has recognized HHK as a religious leader not the undisputed head of the Karma Kagyu tradition.


Well, actually the article states:
Asia Times Online wrote:
New Delhi's decision to recognize Ogyen Trinley Dorje as the 17th Karmapa - the second-highest Tibetan monk after the Dalai Lama - is a major policy shift. Indian authorities had not trusted Trinley Dorje since his dramatic escape from Tibet to India in 2000, as he is the first reincarnation of a high lama officially accepted by the communist government of China.

_________________
OM GATE GATE PARAGATE PARASAMGATE BODHI SVAHA
KTL Buddhist videos


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:53 am
Posts: 486
MJH wrote:
Well, actually the article states:
Asia Times Online wrote:
New Delhi's decision to recognize Ogyen Trinley Dorje as the 17th Karmapa - the second-highest Tibetan monk after the Dalai Lama - is a major policy shift. Indian authorities had not trusted Trinley Dorje since his dramatic escape from Tibet to India in 2000, as he is the first reincarnation of a high lama officially accepted by the communist government of China.

My mistake - thanks. :namaste:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:01 pm
Posts: 100
Location: Norway
Tilopa wrote:
thanks.
No worries :smile: I would love to see this reported somewhere else. I tried a rather quick google search, but I haven't been able to find anything yet.

_________________
OM GATE GATE PARAGATE PARASAMGATE BODHI SVAHA
KTL Buddhist videos


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:01 am
Posts: 37
Gelupa is also mahamudra practitioner


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:23 pm 
Offline
Former staff member
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Posts: 10289
Location: Greece
No matter who recognises what, samsara will still be samsara!
:namaste:

_________________
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:50 pm
Posts: 2755
Being completely apart from all this, I think the whole situation is sad. The Karmapa's issue, the politics involved, the money, etc.
To someone outside the Dharma, reading about these subjects only leads Dharma into disrepute. Maybe ill informed disrepute, but nothing good comes out of these situations. But shit happens. I mean, there's people, there're monasteries, there're refugees... it's impossible that money doesn't enter the picture. Nothing get's accomplished without money these days. People just need to be very careful when dealing with it. Either one adapts or one will have problems when dealing with large sums. That's simply the way it is. If one wants to deal with money informally, better not having large sums. Better living in a small house or in a cave, like Chatral Rinpoche. When having loads of money, better to be really rigorous with book keeping. Modern times demand such careful approach. Otherwise, problems are bound to occur. I hope a lesson was learned, not only by the involved, but generally.

The problem is that these are old news, rather than new. In Tibet there were always similar cases in different schools.
Power struggles, political influence, doctrinal hegemony... I hoped these things had been left in old Tibet. With the Chinese occupation I hopped a new awareness of the frailty of our human projects would arise and old bad habits were lost or profoundly changed; and with the diaspora I wished that we could have had some sort of "Tibetan Buddhism renaissance" that flushed away all the petty quarrels that were so frequent in "Institutionalized Dharma". Alas, I'm a naive fool. It only happened in a small scale.
Maybe that's why I'm so prone to look for lamas without attachment to offices, possessions, thrones, thus avoiding "Dharmic superstars" who wanting it or not are bound to find themselves immersed in unpleasant situations. We better take care of our view if we have such Lamas. Their life is bound to have problems and this means we need to be even better practitioners. I think it is easier to have a Lama with little institutional relevance.

I hope I'm not offending anyone with my posting. I really have no opinion about any of the Karmapa's, only sadness about the whole situation. It doesn't help the Tibetan cause at all. Best is if it never had happened, but welcome to samsara. This is a real circus!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bryandavis and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group