Cops raid at the Karmapas office

sherabpa

Re: Cops raid at the Karmapas office

Post by sherabpa »

The only meaningful ranking of lamas from the four sects is a political one. Any other ranking is a step towards dissolution of the schools into the Gelug.

I do not equate a political Karmapa with Kagyu power: the point is again that a political Karmapa goes hand in hand with the dissolution of the Kagyu in accord with the wishes of His Holiness the Dalai Lama.

As for resistance to a political Karmapa from hardline Gelugpas - see the NKT and their eastern counterparts.
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

conebeckham wrote:Actually, according to "Tibetan High Tulku Hierarchy," HH Sakya Trizin is the number two guy....HH Karmapa is third in line....if you care about such things. From a purely political point of view, the Panchen Lama would be the number two guy, at least in recent Tibetan historical terms.

In Tibet, you know, politcs and tulkus went together. Although HH Orgyen Tinley Dorje stated something to the effect that Karmapas have never been involved in politics, that's not entirely true. At various times throughout Tibetan history, HH Karmapa, HH Sakya Trizin, and other high tulkus inside and outside the Geluk lineage have played political roles, both in Tibet, and in China, Mongolia and other lands bordering "Tibet" proper.

It's possible that the Tibetan Government structure will move toward a more democratic model, and less direct influence from High Lamas may be part of that. Also notable that, in Tibetan politics, the Geluk order has been the most influential for more than a century, and I would wonder about the Tibetan political machine supporting a move toward Kagyu power. It's my wish that all of the institutional lineages remain relevant, and equal, and that Lamas focus on propagating the Dharma instead of involving themselves primarily in politics. But, you know, public figures are political by nature.

As for the "Tibetan Cause" having a figurehead on the World Stage, I don't know what will happen.
Your post is very relevant to the thread on HHDL's resignation as political head, and creating a democracy.

It begs all sorts of questions about the nature of that power within an Indian democracy or within Tibet under Chinese rule.
Maybe the first question to ask is whether there needs to be a replacement at all, and if there needs to be an overall political or even religious leader. Could the schools follow their own paths with mutual respect and synergy/symbiosis without an over-arching leader?
Left
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

I believe, Yeshe, that it is inevitable. And I agree with Sherabpa that any "ranking" across lineages is solely political in nature.

I think (and hope, frankly) that an explicitly political dimension to Tibetan Dharma is on the way out. But it will take time.

I do not, however, agree with Sherabpa that the Dalai Lama wishes to consolidate all four lineages. There's history there, but I think it is poorly understood.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/South_Asia/MC10Df02.html

According to this news story, New Delhi has now recgonized HH Orgyen Tinley Dorje officially.
This story also says that the money was "indeed legitimate donations from various nations."

There's a bunch of other stuff in this article about various conspiracy theories, as well...and a discussion of India's problems with regard to state and federal levels of gov't.

In any case, the http://www.kagyuoffice.org site is featuring news about religious and Losar observances.

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
heart

Post by heart »

I don't understand all this paranoia and talk about politics.

The Dalai Lama was the king of Tibet. He still is a Tulku with his own monastery. He have never been the head of the Gelug. He is definitely a lama in the spirit of Rimey, he is taking teachings and teaching from all lineages including the Bon. He have said since the 60s that he is the last Dalai Lama and that he want the Tibetan people to have democracy. If he is close to the Karmapa it is without doubt just because they have a teacher-disciple relationship. So what is this paranoia based in? Some ridiculous articles written by some ill-informed journalists?

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Magnus-

Frankly, the "politics" thing is used to somehow imply that some Lamas are somehow "less spiritual" (let's say, "less concerned with the primacy of transmssion and practice of Dharma," to flesh it out a bit more) when they "engage in politics."

Conversely, to be "non-political" as a Lama implies that one is "spiritually pure" presumably because one does not involve one's Dharma with samsaric activity...at least, that is how I understand the issue.

I do suppose that if one were truly a political figure, i.e., involved in government affairs, the burden of such involvement may leave one less time for formal practice and transmission, etc. Though HH the Dalai Lama seems to get in more hours of practice per day than most of us "non-political" shleps with day jobs.....

It is to be noted that, as far as I can tell, there are only two organizations that apply this dichotomy to High Lamas..one of them has direct bearing on the subject of this thread.

heart

Post by heart »

conebeckham wrote:Magnus-

Frankly, the "politics" thing is used to somehow imply that some Lamas are somehow "less spiritual" (let's say, "less concerned with the primacy of transmssion and practice of Dharma," to flesh it out a bit more) when they "engage in politics."

Conversely, to be "non-political" as a Lama implies that one is "spiritually pure" presumably because one does not involve one's Dharma with samsaric activity...at least, that is how I understand the issue.

I do suppose that if one were truly a political figure, i.e., involved in government affairs, the burden of such involvement may leave one less time for formal practice and transmission, etc. Though HH the Dalai Lama seems to get in more hours of practice per day than most of us "non-political" shleps with day jobs.....

It is to be noted that, as far as I can tell, there are only two organizations that apply this dichotomy to High Lamas..one of them has direct bearing on the subject of this thread.
So according to this theory the Dalai Lama is not a pure teacher because he have been the "king" of Tibet? Makes no sense to me at all, there been many Dharma kings in the past and there is still in places such as Buthan. And what is this complete nonsense about Karmapa becoming a Gelug? Seriously?

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
arisaema81

Post by arisaema81 »

conebeckham wrote:According to this news story, New Delhi has now recgonized HH Orgyen Tinley Dorje officially.
In this case can HH Karmapa finally go to Rumtek?

Regards

Arisamea
Tilopa

Post by Tilopa »

sherabpa wrote:The only meaningful ranking of lamas from the four sects is a political one. Any other ranking is a step towards dissolution of the schools into the Gelug.

I do not equate a political Karmapa with Kagyu power: the point is again that a political Karmapa goes hand in hand with the dissolution of the Kagyu in accord with the wishes of His Holiness the Dalai Lama.
This is scary stuff. Maybe the real reason HHDL is close to HHK is to convert him to the Gelugpa - another sneaky trick to neutralize the Kagyu. I knew there was something sinister going on the first time I saw these two Buddhist monks showing respect for each other. Someone should warn Sakya Trizin and Mindrolling Rinpoche before it's too late. Incredible and it just sounds so plausible. Who would have thought there was an active conspiracy to destroy Tibetan Buddhism master-minded by none other than HHDL himself. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.
Last edited by Tilopa on Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tilopa

Post by Tilopa »

heart wrote:I don't understand all this paranoia and talk about politics.
Paranoid fantasies are always a bit difficult to understand by those with rational mental faculties.
MJH

Post by MJH »

arisaema81 wrote:
conebeckham wrote:According to this news story, New Delhi has now recgonized HH Orgyen Tinley Dorje officially.
In this case can HH Karmapa finally go to Rumtek?
That's a good question.
OM GATE GATE PARAGATE PARASAMGATE BODHI SVAHA
KTL Buddhist videos
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

This is scary stuff. Maybe the real reason HHDL is close to HHK is to convert him to the Gelugpa - another sneaky trick to neutralize the Kagyu. I knew there was something sinister going on the first time I saw these two Buddhist monks showing respect for each other. Someone should warn Sakya Trizin and Mindrolling Rinpoche before it's too late. Incredible and it just sounds so plausible. Who would have thought there was an active conspiracy to destroy Tibetan Buddhism master-minded by none other than HHDL himself. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.
Well...

Something actually DID happen, (long ago, in a galaxy far, far away....) and I do not want to belabor the issue. Suffice it to say, from what I understand, it was never the Dalai Lama's intent to consolidate all the lineages.....but there were others, in positions of relative power, who may have been attempting to engineer such a thing.

A little digging on the net should be able to reveal particulars, but I don't feel the need to trot out the whole thing here.....

Tilopa

Post by Tilopa »

arisaema81 wrote: In this case can HH Karmapa finally go to Rumtek?
Not necessarily. The article says the Indian Government has recognized HHK as a religious leader not the undisputed head of the Karma Kagyu tradition.
Tilopa

Post by Tilopa »

conebeckham wrote: Something actually DID happen.....
Many things happened and they weren't always good.

Read this for a disturbing insight into the politics of religion in Tibet.
http://www.amazon.com/History-Modern-Ti ... 0520075900" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But an active Gelug conspiracy to destroy the other Tibetan traditions? :rolling:
MJH

Post by MJH »

Tilopa wrote:
arisaema81 wrote: In this case can HH Karmapa finally go to Rumtek?
Not necessarily. The article says the Indian Government has recognized HHK as a religious leader not the undisputed head of the Karma Kagyu tradition.
Well, actually the article states:
Asia Times Online wrote:New Delhi's decision to recognize Ogyen Trinley Dorje as the 17th Karmapa - the second-highest Tibetan monk after the Dalai Lama - is a major policy shift. Indian authorities had not trusted Trinley Dorje since his dramatic escape from Tibet to India in 2000, as he is the first reincarnation of a high lama officially accepted by the communist government of China.
KTL Buddhist videos
Tilopa

Post by Tilopa »

MJH wrote:Well, actually the article states:
Asia Times Online wrote:New Delhi's decision to recognize Ogyen Trinley Dorje as the 17th Karmapa - the second-highest Tibetan monk after the Dalai Lama - is a major policy shift. Indian authorities had not trusted Trinley Dorje since his dramatic escape from Tibet to India in 2000, as he is the first reincarnation of a high lama officially accepted by the communist government of China.
My mistake - thanks. :namaste:
MJH

Post by MJH »

Tilopa wrote:thanks.
No worries :smile: I would love to see this reported somewhere else. I tried a rather quick google search, but I haven't been able to find anything yet.
KTL Buddhist videos
benchen

Post by benchen »

Gelupa is also mahamudra practitioner
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

No matter who recognises what, samsara will still be samsara!
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Dechen Norbu

Post by Dechen Norbu »

Being completely apart from all this, I think the whole situation is sad. The Karmapa's issue, the politics involved, the money, etc.
To someone outside the Dharma, reading about these subjects only leads Dharma into disrepute. Maybe ill informed disrepute, but nothing good comes out of these situations. But shit happens. I mean, there's people, there're monasteries, there're refugees... it's impossible that money doesn't enter the picture. Nothing get's accomplished without money these days. People just need to be very careful when dealing with it. Either one adapts or one will have problems when dealing with large sums. That's simply the way it is. If one wants to deal with money informally, better not having large sums. Better living in a small house or in a cave, like Chatral Rinpoche. When having loads of money, better to be really rigorous with book keeping. Modern times demand such careful approach. Otherwise, problems are bound to occur. I hope a lesson was learned, not only by the involved, but generally.

The problem is that these are old news, rather than new. In Tibet there were always similar cases in different schools.
Power struggles, political influence, doctrinal hegemony... I hoped these things had been left in old Tibet. With the Chinese occupation I hopped a new awareness of the frailty of our human projects would arise and old bad habits were lost or profoundly changed; and with the diaspora I wished that we could have had some sort of "Tibetan Buddhism renaissance" that flushed away all the petty quarrels that were so frequent in "Institutionalized Dharma". Alas, I'm a naive fool. It only happened in a small scale.
Maybe that's why I'm so prone to look for lamas without attachment to offices, possessions, thrones, thus avoiding "Dharmic superstars" who wanting it or not are bound to find themselves immersed in unpleasant situations. We better take care of our view if we have such Lamas. Their life is bound to have problems and this means we need to be even better practitioners. I think it is easier to have a Lama with little institutional relevance.

I hope I'm not offending anyone with my posting. I really have no opinion about any of the Karmapa's, only sadness about the whole situation. It doesn't help the Tibetan cause at all. Best is if it never had happened, but welcome to samsara. This is a real circus!

Return to “Kagyu”