Are you happier?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
gnegirl

Are you happier?

Post by gnegirl »

Is your practise making you happier? Can you see its efficacy in your life?

Not a trivial question in my book, considering the effort that goes into some of these practises :)

As for me, i'd say 'yes'.
"Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise." --Surangama Sutra

Phenomenon, vast as space, dharmata is your base, arising and falling like ocean tide cycles, why do i cling to your illusion of unceasing changlessness?
Josef

Re: Are you happier?

Post by Josef »

Very much happier.
A better person all around to be honest.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
tamdrin

Post by tamdrin »

Im happier than most people because I do practices that cultivate contentment and a peace of mind that is not found in pursuing samsaric phenomenon. However, if people become more messed up, reclusive, and crazy after entering into intense Buddhist practice it is not that uncommon, I feel.
Pero

Post by Pero »

I doubt it, I think I wasn't unhappy before I went into Tibetan Buddhism. If anything I'm at times less happy because of it. Ignorance is bliss as they say. I don't know whether I'm a better person either haha. For me be able to make a distinction it would've have to be big, like I'd have to go from a bad person to good one.
Hm actually I suppose I could say it's kind of a two edged sword for me. When practicing regularly I am happier and all but often at the same time I am also more sensitive to the suffering of others which makes me sad. If that makes sense lol...
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Josef

Post by Josef »

Pero wrote: Hm actually I suppose I could say it's kind of a two edged sword for me. When practicing regularly I am happier and all but often at the same time I am also more sensitive to the suffering of others which makes me sad. If that makes sense lol...
It makes perfect sense.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
gnegirl

Post by gnegirl »

Pero wrote:I doubt it, I think I wasn't unhappy before I went into Tibetan Buddhism. If anything I'm at times less happy because of it. Ignorance is bliss as they say. I don't know whether I'm a better person either haha. For me be able to make a distinction it would've have to be big, like I'd have to go from a bad person to good one.
Hm actually I suppose I could say it's kind of a two edged sword for me. When practicing regularly I am happier and all but often at the same time I am also more sensitive to the suffering of others which makes me sad. If that makes sense lol...
Had something similar, and my Lama gave me a remedy. If it gets problematic, check w/your teacher sooner than later.
"Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise." --Surangama Sutra

Phenomenon, vast as space, dharmata is your base, arising and falling like ocean tide cycles, why do i cling to your illusion of unceasing changlessness?
Pero

Post by Pero »

gnegirl wrote: Had something similar, and my Lama gave me a remedy. If it gets problematic, check w/your teacher sooner than later.
Hm I don't think it's anywhere near problematic... But then I'm not sure what is even considered "problematic" hehe. :smile:
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
gnegirl

Post by gnegirl »

Problematic in that it was making me depressed and agitated. It seemed like all i could perceive was suffering. In the background of my mind was a murmer that if i let it come up would overwhelm me.

That kinda gets to you after a bit.

Pero

Post by Pero »

gnegirl wrote:Problematic in that it was making me depressed and agitated. It seemed like all i could perceive was suffering. In the background of my mind was a murmer that if i let it come up would overwhelm me.
Ah got it.
That kinda gets to you after a bit.
No doubt. :hug:
- Shabkar
ground

Post by ground »

gnegirl wrote:Is your practise making you happier? Can you see its efficacy in your life?
Actually the meaning of "happiness" and "my life" are not that clear to me as they have been before. There is contentment about this. Equanimity has significantly increased and feelings of sympathy seem to occur more often.

Kind regards
plwk

Post by plwk »

Is your practise making you happier?

Do I need to be 'happy'?
Can you see its efficacy in your life?

Efficacy...hmmm
When my mom sees that I am kinder...
When the cat won't run away when I pat it...
When my sis sees that I have a listening ear...
When my colleagues/bosses sees my productivity increase at work....
When a stranger in the street needs help....
When...
ground

Post by ground »

plwk wrote:When my colleagues/bosses sees my productivity increase at work....
Thats great and a reason to rejoice ... for you and your colleagues/bosses. I experienced the opposite: my productivity has decreased. In former time my motivation has been worldly concerns only. Now it seems to come down to a more wholesome level.

Kind regards
florin

Post by florin »

no

practice drives me crazy...

whenever i have the courage to start practicing again ,for the first few days of the practice i experience a sweetneess in the heart and a dependacy upon practice but then i become laizy and due to the little merit i have i very soon find myself back to square one where there is no practice but just me being crazy and mad about not being able to keep at it.....

there...

done
Josef

Post by Josef »

alpha wrote:no

whenever i have the courage to start practicing again ,for the first few days of the practice i experience a sweetneess in the heart and a dependacy upon practice but then i become laizy and due to the little merit i have i very soon find myself back to square one where there is no practice but just me being crazy and mad about not being able to keep at it.....

there...

done
What are you trying to practice?
There might be other methods that are more appealing and less discouraging for you to try.
gnegirl

Post by gnegirl »

there...

done
Just some thoughts.

0) Don't beat yourself up, its not worth it and there's always a solution.
1) Why are you practising? Whats your motivation?
2) Lazy might be a good sign, the ego hates this sorta thing and its fighting back....

Pero

Post by Pero »

Heh, sounds just like me. :smile:
It would often happen that for a week I'd practice but the week or two after that I wouldn't practice at all and often feel like crap because of it. So what I did was look at my maximum practice time per day and halve it. In my case it was two hours. So instead of doing two hours of practice a day, I started to do just about one hour per day. Also, I did not spend this hour in one session but divided it in two or three sessions. I also stopped being hard on myself if I sometimes didn't do all sessions but I "pressured" myself to do at least one.

Since then there hasn't been a day that I haven't done at least some practice.
I almost feel kind of embarassed and certainly stupid because it took me 4 years to figure this out for myself despite many advices pointing here. :emb:

So anyway, I think perhaps you could be having the same problem and my advice would be to reduce the amount of your practice time per day and divide it into more sessions. And don't beat yourself up too much over it. :hug:
- Shabkar
muni

Post by muni »

gnegirl wrote:Is your practise making you happier? Can you see its efficacy in your life?

Not a trivial question in my book, considering the effort that goes into some of these practises :)

:anjali: Simple happiness.

People often strive to be happy; that is pain.
There is no wisdom in thoughts.
What are your thoughts about?
Inge

Post by Inge »

Reading sutras and commentaries makes me happier, other aspects of practice makes me very unhappy. When I first turned towards buddhism three years ago I was desperately miserable, now I'm slightly better off.
fragrant herbs

Post by fragrant herbs »

I am happier for a few reasons, if not a lot. One, I finally have a teacher that is very very helpful, one whose teachings I can understand and agree with and one who helped me get over being angry at my past religious teachers, which in turn has allowed me to move on.

I will be even more happy when if a person upsets m, I don't respond in kind but walk away from such a person quietly and don't have the need to talk about it with other friends. At least I learned to not talk about it to friends in this small town, a hard lesson well learned. I will be happier when these current issues with ex-friends are no longer disturbing my mind and meditation practice, but my mind seems to be accepting all of this as karma and learning.

But you never know, there is always something to disrupt one's mind, isn't there?

I liked the, when I can pet my cat and it doesn't run away. My dog has fear aggression since she was a puppy, and she has hit me with her nose a few times in fear, once giving me a black eye. I worked hard with her over the past 4 years, even going on a border collie website for help. The other day I was looking for ticks on her, and she put her face in mine, which was a little scary, but instead of bumping me hard with her nose she licked my face. (her fear aggression always took the form of wanting me to not brush her, not bathe her, and not towel dry her, in case anyone wonders. She will also hit strangers if they bend over to pet her, so I don't allow strangers to pet her.)
Madeliaette
Location: Currently in Sussex, England. Formerly in Wollongong, Australia.

Post by Madeliaette »

If happiness is based upon peace and contentment, then yes - but if it is based on pleasure and fulfillment, then no. A lot of what i did not understand about myself and life has fallen into place. I have more inner contentment and peace - accepting myself (through negative karma) as the key to the garbage in my life rather than blaming other sources for its prescence and getting furious at these injustices has helped a lot. I have also understood a lot of what was going on inside my 'mind-emotion' area and why i did not think/emote conventionally, whereas before I thought i used my subconcious mind instead of the concious mind as most others do. (It stems from the importance of my meditation practice in a previous life.) This does not make it easier for me to live a day after a night of little sleep nor make me want to climb out of bed first thing in the morning knowing I have 16-17 hours of work lying ahead, though.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”