Street party for the Royal Wedding

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
KwanSeum

Re: Street party for the Royal Wedding

Post by KwanSeum »

Ken1969 wrote:
KwanSeum wrote:I don't support meat eating or killing of any kind!
Even the plastics in that computer you use (I mean is that absolutely vital to you?) contains stearic acid, which is mostly gained from animal fats.
Well my job is an ICT teacher.

I wonder if I could go to work tomorrow (walking of course) and say I no longer can justify using computers because of Stearic acid and to sack me would amount to discrimination due to my understanding of my religion?

Seriously though I've never heard this before. I've started another thread to discuss this subject (http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=3471).
Madeliaette
Location: Currently in Sussex, England. Formerly in Wollongong, Australia.

Post by Madeliaette »

I have wondered about these street parties, also - so reading this thread is of interest to me. Before I had heard other people's opinions, just from hearing that there might be a local one, I began to wonder what the right attitude would be for me to follow.

I do not support royalty, nor do I support documentation-ceremonies/legalization of love; yet, as a Buddhist, I DO support community spirit and I feel that if our district holds a party I should attend on these grounds. I think I will be more concerned with trying to build a friendlier community than with my personal opinions and that this would fit with my practice.

I wonder if anyone else has considered the community aspect of street parties, rather than just the purpose of holding them - or is that just me being silly old me again? :namaste:
KwanSeum

Post by KwanSeum »

Madeliaette wrote:I do not support royalty, nor do I support documentation-ceremonies/legalization of love; yet, as a Buddhist, I DO support community spirit and I feel that if our district holds a party I should attend on these grounds.
Excellent point and my local community is one of a kind - literally unique in the world (we are the only worker built co-operative housing association that has ever existed). Furthermore, we are a close community and it is highly probable that the wedding will be used for a get together and I guess it would be unsociable not to attend and unfair of me to ask my wife and kids not to attend also.

In that case I would go, but maybe I could adapt the national anthem:

FROM
God save the Queen

TO
God, who doesn't exist, save the Queen cos she's alright really but also restore our country to a republic

But it'll be hard to keep tune

:soapbox:
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

KwanSeum wrote:In that case I would go, but maybe I could adapt the national anthem:

FROM
God save the Queen

TO
God, who doesn't exist, save the Queen cos she's alright really but also restore our country to a republic

But it'll be hard to keep tune
You can set it to a punk rhythm and just do a monotonal sttataco "God-who-doesn't-exist-save-the-Queen-cos-she's-alright-really-but-also-restore-our-country-to-a-republic" in the style of Dead Kennedys/Jello Biafra.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

I'd support a street party for repatriation of the lot of them. They're not even English !............

Trouble is, neither are most 'English' people - They'd have to send nearly a quarter of me back to Ireland, Italy, Wales and Czechoslovakia - and the smallest part to Sweden (you've guessed which part). LOL :)
Left
KwanSeum

Post by KwanSeum »

Yeshe wrote:I'd support a street party for repatriation of the lot of them. They're not even English !............
But where should we repatriate them too? - Germany or Greece?
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

KwanSeum wrote:
Yeshe wrote:I'd support a street party for repatriation of the lot of them. They're not even English !............
Difficult. I'd have to look into the licences required for exporting dumb animals. :)

The main question I guess is whether Germany or Greece would want them!

Maybe Ruritania ?
Left
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

KwanSeum wrote:
Oi!!! Piss off! Like we don't have enough problems down here you want to unload those dead beats on us???!!! The English tried that back in the late 1800's when they unloaded some of their inbred Bavarian cousins on us as regents. We gave them the boot after ten years. In 1967 the reinstated Bavarian Royalty assisted a military junta to come into power here in Greece. After some arguments with the junta over who was the real boss the king fled and was banned from returning. His heir was only allowed back into Greece (nobody was happy about that) about five years ago. He left quick-smart.

So no thanks! It's your problem, deal with it!
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
KwanSeum

Post by KwanSeum »

gregkavarnos wrote:
KwanSeum wrote:
Yeshe wrote:So no thanks! It's your problem, deal with it!
We do deal with it and it costs us over £110m a year - even us republicans have to contribute our couple of pounds a year.
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

gregkavarnos wrote:Oi!!! Piss off! Like we don't have enough problems down here you want to unload those dead beats on us???!!! The English tried that back in the late 1800's when they unloaded some of their inbred Bavarian cousins on us as regents. We gave them the boot after ten years. In 1967 the reinstated Bavarian Royalty assisted a military junta to come into power here in Greece. After some arguments with the junta over who was the real boss the king fled and was banned from returning. His heir was only allowed back into Greece (nobody was happy about that) about five years ago. He left quick-smart.

So no thanks! It's your problem, deal with it!
:namaste:
Now let me see - Royalty supporting military juntas and vile dictatorships. Now where have I seen that recently? Oh yes:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... liyev.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's the unforms you know. Can't help themselves.

If we have to have this wedding thrust upon us, could we ask them to go for a pre-nup promising not to breed? LOL :)
Left
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

Perhaps it would be good to point out that as functionaries of British diplomacy, it is their job to go talk to people in power, and to try to get along with them. The idea that they support these people and think of them as friends is a mere supposition, a figment of someone's imagination. Actually, the process of producing such imaginings is a nice illustration of the Dharmic principle that hatred grows on exaggeration.

As for protestations that there is no hatred, well, that's pretty hard to believe when people in this very thread resort to their four-letter vocabulary so freely.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

catmoon wrote:Perhaps it would be good to point out that as functionaries of British diplomacy, it is their job to go talk to people in power, and to try to get along with them. The idea that they support these people and think of them as friends is a mere supposition, a figment of someone's imagination. Actually, the process of producing such imaginings is a nice illustration of the Dharmic principle that hatred grows on exaggeration.

As for protestations that there is no hatred, well, that's pretty hard to believe when people in this very thread resort to their four-letter vocabulary so freely.
Humour is not hatred. Last I heard we don't all have to share the same sense of humour, and much of English humour is heavy on irony etc. and doesn't travel well. ;)

last time I looked Randy Andy was reported in the media as trying to dig Fergie out of debt and a bribery scandal, and also playing 'diplomatic' footsie with very shady characters including a paedophile and some shady foreign players, one of whom coincidentally purchased Andy's old house:

''News of the Prince’s despair came after it was revealed that Jeffrey Epstein paid off the Duchess of York’s debts within days of Prince Andrew flying out to visit him in New York.''

''Sarah Ferguson was in negotiations with the disgraced American financier for nine months last year as he ‘insisted’ on presenting her with a £58,000 gift to pay off her debts.''

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1GfUPlCYX" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The royals are a laughing stock - from Phil's racist jibes to Charles marrying the woman presumably hired to teach him sex, who was still 'the third person' in his marriage to the poor brood mare Diana who was allegedly bumped off after providing 'an heir and a spare', one of whose ginger looks resemble a certain military man who may have been the 'fourth person' in the marriage:
http://www.rumormillnews.com/cgi-bin/ar ... read=36121" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ya couldn't write this stuff - pure soap!

At least we can laugh at them, or pity the people they harm, and express disgust at their actions - the UK citizen is free to do that, not because of them but in spite of them. Maybe the most compassionate act for all would be to simply strip them of all national status and let them carry on their still fabulously wealthy lifestyle. ;)
Left
KwanSeum

Post by KwanSeum »

catmoon wrote:As for protestations that there is no hatred, well, that's pretty hard to believe when people in this very thread resort to their four-letter vocabulary so freely.
I fail to see the connection between four letter words and hate. :shrug:
plwk

Post by plwk »

phpBB [video]
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

KwanSeum wrote:
catmoon wrote:As for protestations that there is no hatred, well, that's pretty hard to believe when people in this very thread resort to their four-letter vocabulary so freely.
I don't.
KwanSeum

Post by KwanSeum »

catmoon wrote:
KwanSeum wrote:
I don't.
LOL!
retrofuturist
Former staff member

Post by retrofuturist »

The only street party I'll be having is for when this gets to #1 in the UK chart!

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/cd5361 ... -stretched" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(Not safe for work!)

Maitri,
Retro. :)
Live in concord, with mutual appreciation, without disputing, blending like milk and water, viewing each other with kindly eyes.
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

....Which raises the question, who shall moderate the moderators? Sorry, but the above posting is way over the line. "Not safe for work" is a bit of an undersatement.
retrofuturist
Former staff member

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Catmoon,
catmoon wrote:....Which raises the question, who shall moderate the moderators? Sorry, but the above posting is way over the line. "Not safe for work" is a bit of an undersatement.
Well, one I'm not a moderator, and two, you're welcome to report the post and have an actual moderator actually look into it.

Personally I thought the video clip was hilarious and the 96% of people at the site who voted that it was funny presumably thought so too.

Maitri,
Retro. :)
Live in concord, with mutual appreciation, without disputing, blending like milk and water, viewing each other with kindly eyes.

Return to “Lounge”