How does Gelug Buddhism differ from other types of Buddhism?

Tsongkhapafan

Re: How does Gelug Buddhism differ from other types of Buddhism?

Post by Tsongkhapafan »

Yeshe wrote:
Tsongkhapafan wrote:If you're looking for a great translation of Je Pabongkhapa's lamrim teachings, I thoroughly recommend the three volume set, 'Liberation in Our Hands', translated by Geshe Lobsang Tharchin - it's incomparable.

http://www.wisdom-books.com/ProductDetail.asp?PID=641" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I've not come across that one. 'Liberation in the Palm of your Hand' is (I seem to remember) over 900 pages - is the 3 volume set more extensive in its analysis or does it extend beyond the Lam Rim into other teachings from Pabongka?
I haven't read the Michael Richard's 'Liberation in the Palm of your Hand' as I had heard that he made some errors in the translation - I'm not sure if this is true but I do have great faith in Geshe Lobsang Tharchin, so I can't really say what the differences are. It covers the whole Lamrim discourse of Je Pabongkhapa, not any of his other teachings. It contains extensive footnotes of explanation and references to other parts of the text, which might account for the increased length. You'd have to have a look at it to be able to tell what the differences are :smile:
mudra

Post by mudra »

Ken, personally I think the Lam Rim Chen Mo sounds like a good plan. Sure 2.5 years might look daunting, but believe me time flies. And you just need to do it step by step. If anything you might find it very sustaining, as after a while the shorter texts etc end up leaving you with more questions. And Je Tsongkhapa can be quite inspiring in how he really leaves no stones unturned, his amazing dedication to precision.

Go for it.

PS your avatar is quite distracting LOL
Ken1969

Post by Ken1969 »

mudra wrote:Ken, personally I think the Lam Rim Chen Mo sounds like a good plan. Sure 2.5 years might look daunting, but believe me time flies. And you just need to do it step by step. If anything you might find it very sustaining, as after a while the shorter texts etc end up leaving you with more questions. And Je Tsongkhapa can be quite inspiring in how he really leaves no stones unturned, his amazing dedication to precision.
Thanks, I might - I've read a little of Lam Rim Chen Mo in pdf on the interweb - but I've another 21 months of my current foundation course to go yet; but I'll keep an open mind on it.
mudra wrote: PS your avatar is quite distracting LOL
I'm about to stop smoking (I've a new strategy in place, including an analytical 'stopping smoking' meditation, and Allen Carr's book); but it kinda reflects how I think I'm going to be feeling when I stub that last cigarette out.

And besides, I wouldn't want you to get attached to 'non-distracting'! :D
BFS

Post by BFS »

with regard to Lamrim - A link you may find helpful:
http://www.thubtenchodron.org/GradualPa ... amrim.html
Ken1969

Post by Ken1969 »

BFS wrote:with regard to Lamrim - A link you may find helpful:
http://www.thubtenchodron.org/GradualPa ... amrim.html
Thanks; I'm actually going through the process of downloading the mp3 talks and I've listened to the introductions. Thubten is very good, and I find her easy to listen to.
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

Posts have been deleted which were clearly in breach of ToS with regard to the very clear definition of controversial topics. Members who persist in off-topic attacks and breaches of rules will receive an official warning.
Left
Ken1969

Post by Ken1969 »

Hi guys,

I've no strong affiliation with any Buddhist sect at present; I'm studying Gelug Buddhism because the Jamyang centre runs an in-depth two year foundation correspondence course which sounded attractive, (family, work and financial restraints - at present - restrict me to this form of study), and so far it's very good and I'm finding it quite challenging. I guess my commitment will be to Gelug Buddhism, since that's what I'm studying.

As for whatever text I practise Lam Rim from, well maybe it's good I read a few different texts? As I said earlier, after this course, I could do another two-year course in Lam Rim Chen Mo; and because I think Lam Rim is an extremely clever way of learning/practising Buddhism and further developing that 'internal change' that I'm after; I may do this. But while I'm doing this course, I'd prefer a simpler Lam Rim text - I've lots of study already on my plate and I've a family, work, and A.A. commitments.

Anyway, thanks for your replies guys, I did read them them briefly before they were deleted; and as always, I try to keep an open mind.

And now I'm late! :D
ground

Post by ground »

Ken1969 wrote:As for whatever text I practise Lam Rim from, well maybe it's good I read a few different texts? As I said earlier, after this course, I could do another two-year course in Lam Rim Chen Mo; and because I think Lam Rim is an extremely clever way of learning/practising Buddhism and further developing that 'internal change' that I'm after; I may do this. But while I'm doing this course, I'd prefer a simpler Lam Rim text - I've lots of study already on my plate and I've a family, work, and A.A. commitments.
Lam Rim Chenmo and perhaps Lama Tsongkhapas other shorter lamrim versions including the "three principle aspects of the path" is all one needs.
An appropriate addendum would be the sutta pitaka of the pali canon which however is relatively un-structured and therefore more difficult to study and more time consuming.

Kind regards
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

OK. I believe that I have now edited out all references to controversial practices, organisations etc. in this thread.

Please continue to give excellent advice and links on the Gelugpa.

My apologies for not acting sooner.
Left
Tsongkhapafan

Post by Tsongkhapafan »

One thing I think is important is that you have to be prepared to study for a long time to gain a deep understanding and experience of Dharma. As 'mudra' said above, spending two or three years studying Lamrim Chenmo is really nothing - time flies and many people spend three or four years studying for degrees (I was one of them) which are, in terms of spiritual practice, pretty useless whereas any time spent studying Dharma is time well spent. Look at it as an investment in wisdom and therefore future happiness. :smile:
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

:good:

:anjali:
Left
Mariusz

Post by Mariusz »

Tsongkhapafan wrote:One thing I think is important is that you have to be prepared to study for a long time to gain a deep understanding and experience of Dharma. As 'mudra' said above, spending two or three years studying Lamrim Chenmo is really nothing - time flies and many people spend three or four years studying for degrees (I was one of them) which are, in terms of spiritual practice, pretty useless whereas any time spent studying Dharma is time well spent. Look at it as an investment in wisdom and therefore future happiness. :smile:
:smile: indeed. It is obvious when you study Lamrim Chenmo topics on Prasangika/Svatantrika, not easy if neccesary at all. :reading: I mean before fully engage in these introductory topics for later many years of study, it is useful to check what original Nagarjuna meant first. :namaste:
dorje.neljorma

Post by dorje.neljorma »

''Odyssey to Freedom'' By Kyabje Gelek Rinpoche (its a transcript of his teaching) is a really good start to Lamrim as well. Its kind of like a modern Lamrim.

Liberation in the Palm of your Hand is also excellent; despite what may have been said about it.

I would also reccomend (if you think you are going to practise in the Gelug tradition) to recide Foundation of All Perfections, by Jamgon Lama Tsongkhapa every day as well, I do that, and do analytical meditation at each verse.
:smile:
ground

Post by ground »

Geshe Sopas Commentary to the Lamrim Chenmo is a good companion too. Drawback: it is even more elaborate, since it is a commentary. But to get a better understanding of particular chapters it appears appropriate if there is no teacher readily available.

Kind regards
ground

Post by ground »

Tsongkhapafan wrote:One thing I think is important is that you have to be prepared to study for a long time to gain a deep understanding and experience of Dharma. As 'mudra' said above, spending two or three years studying Lamrim Chenmo is really nothing -
Perhaps one should not look at it too "materialistically". If you are capable to "connect to" the author of a written teaching a few hours may be several years.

Kind regards
Ken1969

Post by Ken1969 »

dorje.neljorma wrote: I would also reccomend (if you think you are going to practise in the Gelug tradition) to recide Foundation of All Perfections, by Jamgon Lama Tsongkhapa every day as well, I do that, and do analytical meditation at each verse.
Is this the Foundation of All Perfections? I'm pretty sure it is.

http://www.tibetanbuddhist.org/je-tsong ... erfections" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for all the helpful replies too.
dorje.neljorma

Post by dorje.neljorma »

Ken1969 wrote:
dorje.neljorma wrote: I would also reccomend (if you think you are going to practise in the Gelug tradition) to recide Foundation of All Perfections, by Jamgon Lama Tsongkhapa every day as well, I do that, and do analytical meditation at each verse.
Is this the Foundation of All Perfections? I'm pretty sure it is.

http://www.tibetanbuddhist.org/je-tsong ... erfections" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for all the helpful replies too.

Yes, it is : ) Good luck!
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Here's a link to HH the Dalai Lama teaching Lam Rim
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha

Return to “Gelug”