Karma,the definitive discussion

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

Karma,the definitive discussion

Postby Rael » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:45 pm

I would love to see a discussion on Karma. Here in the no holds barred section where even non buddhist thought can come into play and we are not held down through sectarian thought.....

For me it is the effects of the law of cause and effect.

Can one take away your Karma, change it. I don't think so, my new age daughter knows someone for a price will do just that...Don't ask....

Is it actually something?

can we create it....

in all fairness Yeshe inspired this with this post
Yeshe wrote:You don't create karma, but karma may create merit. You can't rid yourself of karma until you cease to act, but you can choose how to act.

he did seem to edit his statement with
you don't create karma (as an outcome)

i think we do create Karma....

I hope everyone jumps in and makes this a thing i can learn from...
Love Love Love
Rael

Re: Karma,the definitive discussion

Postby Dexing » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:29 pm

Yeshe edited the statement to clarify you can't make karma as an outcome, which is called vipāka.

Karma being intentional action is certainly something you create. Vipāka as the outcome of your intentional action is not a direct creation of yours, but a direct result of your creation (karma- intentional action).

So Yeshe says;
"You can't rid yourself of karma until you cease to act, but you can choose how to act."

Because karma itself is "intentional action".

However, this is at the level of Ordinary Beings.

A step further beyond this points to actions of Buddhas which are not subject to retribution. A Buddha still acts, but it is no longer Karma, i.e. a Buddha's action is not "intentional action" per se, which is a function of the 7th Discriminative Consciousness (manas-vijñāna) which does not exist within a Buddha.

Rather, the actions of a Buddha are led by Wisdom as opposed to Volition, which is an aggregate belonging to an Ordinary Being. These actions leave no trace and are not subject to retributive results (i.e. vipāka, the result of karma).

The actions of a Buddha are therefore not Karma, but called Kriya.

:namaste:
nopalabhyate...
Dexing

Postby muni » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:58 am

http://viewonbuddhism.org/karma.html It is "my mind" :alien: what creates "this world".

KARMA—THE FRUITS OF OUR LABORS

What is the relationship between our behavior in this life and our future existences? The Buddha observed relationships that exist from one life to another by using his own mind as a research instrument, finely honed by Contemplative Discipline.

Karma means action and it refers specifically to intention. Intention, (the intention itself and the intended action), is a mental factor that directs one’s awareness to a given object or a given activity.

Whenever we engage in intentional activities of body, speech and mind, whether wholesome or unwholesome, impressions are placed upon our mindstreams. They are like seeds or potencies and are called karma. In certain situations, these seeds act as propulsive karma. This karma is imprinted upon the subtle mindstream that carries on after death. When it is stimulated by an appropriate catalyst, it propels one into another rebirth. As the seed bears fruit, it is fully ripened into a type of life-form that reflects this seed-potential.

The karmic results are from both behavioral and environmental causes. Behavioral results refer to patterns created in one life that carry over into the next. For instance, habitual ways of responding to life’s circumstances, ie. , attachment, hostility, equanimity or anxiety. These positive or negative behaviors can be accentuated and built upon from one lifetime into another.

Environmental results of karma follow the principle that what we put out into the world comes back to us. As we have sown, so shall we reap. When a human dies and is propelled into rebirth, it is not the former human being who dwells in the new body. The subtle mindstream that departs at death is not a human consciousness. That ‘I’ that was designated on your present body and mind, vanishes. This continuum of awareness is now able to join with a new human life. It is like when a candle burns out and a new candle is lit. It is really a transfer of energy and not the same candle. It is the heat of desire that re-embodies. Our passionate desire for survival is heat. It is simply a transfer of energy.

When asked, ‘what happens to enlightened beings after they pass on?’, the Buddha had the questioner build a fire and then add sticks to the fire in order to keep it burning, and then stop adding sticks and the flame went out. The heat was no longer compelling them to re-embody, but they had a choice to re-embody, through their Great Compassion for all sentient beings.

Karma is our Judge. We need to have recourse to our inner judge.

MOMENT-TO-MOMENT KARMA

Buddhism states that man can become his own master. This is the goal-to reach self-mastery. Mind is the creator of our world, in every moment. That is why responsibility is so crucially connected with our mind.

MAKERS OF OUR OWN DESTINY.

I am the owner of my karma, everything else is on loan. We can only take karma with us. We bring tendencies with us that create our opportunities. The choice us ours, constantly, every single moment.
http://www.reversespins.com/tibetanbuddhism.html
muni

Postby justsit » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:37 pm

muni wrote:Karma is our Judge. We need to have recourse to our inner judge.

Huh??
justsit

Postby muni » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:50 pm

justsit wrote:
muni wrote:Karma is our Judge. We need to have recourse to our inner judge.

Huh??

Huh :shrug: It can mean according to our deeds we will have the effects. "Inner judge"; being aware of body speech mind. Maybe so?
muni

Return to Open Dharma