Buddhist Images in the Workplace

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

Buddhist Images in the Workplace

Postby tomamundsen » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:12 am

Hello All,

Not sure if this topic has been covered, as the search engine won't let me search for the word "work" because it is too common. Nor am I sure if this is the appropriate forum...

What are your thoughts on displaying Buddhist images in the workplace? By that, I mean having pictures, statues, flags, whatever, in your cubicle, office, etc.
tomamundsen

Re: Buddhist Images in the Workplace

Postby ball-of-string » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:29 am

I took down a framed picture of the Buddha from my office when I started sharing the office with a coworker who practices a brand of Buddhism that is strongly opposed to any depiction of the Buddha.

Since then, I have become aware of people protesting: the depiction of Buddha in "Buddha Bars", on the packaging of a grocery store noodle dish, a rapper/ musician whose music video showed a Buddha in the background... Seems like the safest choice is to choose not to.
ball-of-string

Postby plwk » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:40 am

I had an ex Dept Head some time ago who turned his office into what his Duty Managers called it 'Ashram' with a collection of Buddhist and Hindu figurines every corner and smells like an incense store. When one sits facing his desk, one faces not only him but a sizeable Hotei figure...and one can hear chanting CDs on...

In contrast to one Hotel Manager (who's a non Buddhist) I used to work with, his office has one beautiful and inspiring framed Buddha face with a sunset silhouette on the wall just behind his work desk. When asked on why the image, he claims it has a calming effect on all who comes into his office especially on Board meeting days lol

Less is more it seems...
plwk

Postby ground » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:08 am

The best is to have a Buddha image in your mind. Nobody gets upset about it, no dust on it, you have it permanently with you wherever you are and the greatest merit arises from it.

Kind regards
ground

Postby KeithBC » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:25 am

Well, my workplace is my home. Does that count?

Om mani padme hum
Keith
KeithBC

Postby ball-of-string » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:42 am

plwk wrote:In contrast to one Hotel Manager (who's a non Buddhist) I used to work with, his office has one beautiful and inspiring framed Buddha face with a sunset silhouette on the wall just behind his work desk. When asked on why the image, he claims it has a calming effect on all who comes into his office especially on Board meeting days lol

Less is more it seems...

I heard that Winston Churchill kept a small Buddha statue on the nightstand by his bed. Said he couldn't sleep without it...
ball-of-string

Postby Astus » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:26 pm

I put calligraphy on my cubicle's walls. It doesn't necessarily appear as Buddhist unless one reads Chinese. I usually use some Buddhist image as my background picture, although even I don't see it often because of the different windows open.

Baizhang's saying is very good for workplaces:
(one day without work, one day without eating).
"There is no such thing as the real mind. Ridding yourself of delusion: that's the real mind."
(Sheng-yen: Getting the Buddha Mind, p 73)

“Don’t rashly seek the true Buddha;
True Buddha can’t be found.
Does marvelous nature and spirit
Need tempering or refinement?
Mind is this mind carefree;
This face, the face at birth."

(Nanyue Mingzan: Enjoying the Way, tr. Jeff Shore; T51n2076, p461b24-26)
Astus
Former staff member

Postby Indrajala » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:35 pm

KeithBC wrote:Well, my workplace is my home. Does that count?

Om mani padme hum
Keith

What if you work at a temple? Is it okay then?
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog)
Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog)
Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog)
Dharma Depository (Site)

"Hui gives me no assistance. There is nothing that I say in which he does not delight." -Confucius
Indrajala

Postby KeithBC » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:57 pm

Huseng wrote:What if you work at a temple? Is it okay then?

:rolling: LOL! I would hope so!

Om mani padme hum
Keith
KeithBC

Postby tomamundsen » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:08 pm

TMingyur wrote:The best is to have a Buddha image in your mind. Nobody gets upset about it, no dust on it, you have it permanently with you wherever you are and the greatest merit arises from it.

Kind regards

For people with weak minds like myself, it is easier to have a Buddha image in my mind if I have an actual physical representation sitting somewhere that I see even when I wasn't previously thinking about it.
tomamundsen

Postby tomamundsen » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:09 pm

Astus wrote:I put calligraphy on my cubicle's walls. It doesn't necessarily appear as Buddhist unless one reads Chinese. I usually use some Buddhist image as my background picture, although even I don't see it often because of the different windows open.

Baizhang's saying is very good for workplaces:
(one day without work, one day without eating).

Nice :thumbsup:
tomamundsen

Postby ground » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:15 pm

tomamundsen wrote:
TMingyur wrote:The best is to have a Buddha image in your mind. Nobody gets upset about it, no dust on it, you have it permanently with you wherever you are and the greatest merit arises from it.

Kind regards

For people with weak minds like myself, it is easier to have a Buddha image in my mind if I have an actual physical representation sitting somewhere that I see even when I wasn't previously thinking about it.

I am in the same position. Of course an outer image is a prerequisite for an inner image ... it takes some effort, but it is worthwhile.

Kind regards
ground

Postby Jechan » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:00 pm

That's a good idea :twothumbsup:
If you feel uncomfortable with a blatantly Buddhist image, then something not so obvious like calligraphy.
I've got a Honmon Butsuryu Shu crest on my phone and computer, no one who has seen it knows what it is.
南無妙法蓮華経
Jechan

Postby Cobotis » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:37 am

tomamundsen wrote:Hello All,

Not sure if this topic has been covered, as the search engine won't let me search for the word "work" because it is too common. Nor am I sure if this is the appropriate forum...

What are your thoughts on displaying Buddhist images in the workplace? By that, I mean having pictures, statues, flags, whatever, in your cubicle, office, etc.

I don't know... could be a funny form of patriotism.. isn't it ? If not.. then it's just like anything else, neither needed or unneeded.... if it's the song one sings...it's the song one sings...
Cobotis

Postby gnegirl » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:26 pm

I have a small crystal Buddha a friend of mine got me from Korea. Its a small circle cut in crystal with an image of Buddha Shakyamuni in the middle of the round crystal outline. It sits on top of the computer tower.
"Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise." --Surangama Sutra

Phenomenon, vast as space, dharmata is your base, arising and falling like ocean tide cycles, why do i cling to your illusion of unceasing changlessness?
gnegirl

Postby Madeliaette » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:02 pm

I doubt I would ever get into a 'regular' 9-5 style job or work outside the home to have to worry about this, but...
Well, my workplace is my home. Does that count?

That is similar for me - since December 2009, I have returned to live in my father's home and take care of him. He is Christian, not Buddhist - so to prevent any upset I placed my Buddhist altar behind the bedside cabinet - that way, I was free to have my own sacred space and he would not see it to become offended.

It is easier still since December 2010, as he now stays on the ground floor only in the converted lounge due to his mobility problems, so i am free to rearrange my room in any way, and could now have my Buddha statue in any position should i choose to change things around. My son has now moved in too on this level, but he is fully aware of my Buddhist practices and although not a Buddhist himself, is not offended by it as he does not practice any specific religion.He is used to my 'little Buddhist corner' from when I lived in Australia with him previous to rushing on over here to look after Dad.
Madeliaette

Location: Currently in Sussex, England. Formerly in Wollongong, Australia.

Return to Exploring Buddhism