Mantra Recitation - Do You Do Enough?

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

Re: Mantra Recitation - Do You Do Enough?

Postby Chaz » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:52 am

Pero wrote:
Chaz wrote: My PI said to begin.

Wow, you hired a private investigator to tell you when to begin with ngondro? :D

No, "Practice Instructor" and she wasn't hired.
Chaz

Postby Adamantine » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:19 am

Pero wrote:
mudra wrote:Again no disagreement with quality over quantity, but I do have an objection to simply reciting mentally. According to the instructions I received, the practitioner should actually recite the mantra verbally so that he/she can hear the mantra him/herself. It should be discreet, but audible to oneself at least.

Adamantine wrote:Definitely. The point is to simultaneously practice with body, speech, and mind, and thus simultaneously purify all three. Actually vocalizing mantras is said to have the effect of purifying all manner of past negative speech and obscurations of speech.

Ah interesting, thanks!

Well speech is also shorthand for the inner winds, but you know that. ;)
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Adamantine
Former staff member

Postby mudra » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:57 am

Hi Adamantine,
wasn't that quote (Definitiely etc...) from Pema Rigdzin?
mudra

Postby Adamantine » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:29 am

mudra wrote:Hi Adamantine,
wasn't that quote (Definitiely etc...) from Pema Rigdzin?

ha ha I guess so.. I couldn't remember writing it but it's certainly something I could've written.. but then why is my name on it? :shrug:
Adamantine
Former staff member

Postby Pero » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:11 am

I LOLed quite a bit when I saw your posts, it was my blunder, I don't know what I was thinking haha. :smile:

Chaz wrote:No, "Practice Instructor" and she wasn't hired.

:smile:
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Pero

Postby kvy » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:26 pm

My Root Guru was a direct disciple of Dudjom Rinpoche, and he encouraged me to chant mantras both on and off the cushion, because, in his words, it's the same mind!

In terms of quality, in my experience that depends on the strength of devotion, as well as external factors like challenging life situations that can turn the heat up in one's practice. While those variables change, practice can continue, so I try not to worry too much about practice being "good enough"- I simply do it and relax with what arises.

Accumulation can be thought of as a skillful means to keep one on track as opposed to something one has to "accomplish". I personally find that there is A LOT of time to practice mantra throughout the day, it's just a question of paying attention to the opportunities- walking, taking the bus etc.

Similarly one can rest the mind at any time. Perhaps that is the beauty of Kali Yuga- it challenges us and forces us to bring everything to the path in order to stay sane, and our creative opportunity is to practice in the midst of chaos!
kvy

Postby Osho » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:54 pm

Once round the mala.
Job jobbed.
:smile:
More about Mindfulness here
http://bemindful.co.uk/

" A Zen master's life is one continuous mistake."
(Dogen).
Osho

Postby pemachophel » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:01 pm

A friend of mine, a 40-plus-year, mostly-in-retreat student of Chatral Rinpoche recently mentioned that he had done 1000 bum of the Guru mantra in La-drub Thig-le Gya-chen. Somewhat more than once around the mala and job done.

:namaste:
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
pemachophel

Postby heart » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:38 pm

pemachophel wrote:A friend of mine, a 40-plus-year, mostly-in-retreat student of Chatral Rinpoche recently mentioned that he had done 1000 bum of the Guru mantra in La-drub Thig-le Gya-chen. Somewhat more than once around the mala and job done.

:good:

/magnus
"To reject practice by saying, 'it is conceptual!' is the path of fools. A tendency of the inexperienced and something to be avoided."
- Longchenpa
heart

Postby Osho » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:08 pm

Yep.
Horses for courses.
All respect to those who do lots.
More about Mindfulness here
http://bemindful.co.uk/

" A Zen master's life is one continuous mistake."
(Dogen).
Osho

Postby LordD » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:51 am

What is the meaning of word "bum"? :) My standard is 1000/session.
LordD

Postby heart » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:14 am

LordD wrote:What is the meaning of word "bum"? :) My standard is 1000/session.

Bum means 100.000 mantras, these are normally recited for each syllable in the mantra. If you have a mantra the mani it contains 6 syllables then the minimum is reciting it 600.000 times.

/magnus
"To reject practice by saying, 'it is conceptual!' is the path of fools. A tendency of the inexperienced and something to be avoided."
- Longchenpa
heart

Postby Motova » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:58 am

What would be the signs of reciting enough mantras?
Motova

Postby heart » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:45 am

Motova wrote:What would be the signs of reciting enough mantras?

Depends on the practice but recognizing and gaining confidence the natural state would be the best sign.

/magnus
- Longchenpa
heart

Postby Adamantine » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:26 pm

I'm not sure if the math in the OP really adds up to reality-- just out of curiosity I stop watch timed a session of a 12-syllable mantra and got 1000 recitations in about 8.5 minutes. And that was with pauses for very brief meditation between each 108. So without pauses it'd probably be closer to 6 minutes for 10,000. But even with pauses that'd be 10,000 in about an hour and a half. So it really doesn't seem so far-fetched even for busy modern lay-practitioners. . .But maybe some people chant slowly and melodically. I know Garchen Rinpoche recommends singing some mantras with sincerity and beautiful melody, and not really counting in a conventional way. . .
Adamantine
Former staff member

Postby Tsultrim T. » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:18 pm

It's been a little while since my main practice focused on Ngondro, but I completed mine as a pretty much full time practitioner in Nepal and India. This was in my early 20s when I was extremely fit and I would max out at about 4,000 prostrations a day. I did them in 4 x 2.5 hours sessions with breaks in between. Any more than that and it seems extremely unlikely that one would be able to physically do it or do quality prostrations and recitations. Then I completed the Dorge Sempa accumulations in a 4 week retreat where about 18 hours a day were focused on recitation. The rest was not as time consuming after the first two parts.

I know many students of Chatral Rinpoche as well and he asks them to complete the ngondro in a 3 month period under retreat like conditions. I believe that is probably the the fastest/most accumulations per day I have ever heard of and it is borderline impossible. Many cannot complete the accumulations in that time frame.

The important thing is to go at a pace that suits you and that you can gain something from. The most annoying people I ever encountered were the ones who wanted to "compete" with accumulations. Really if that is one's attitude, what's the point?
Tsultrim T.

Previous

Return to Tibetan Buddhism