Bodhisattva precepts in the tradition of Nagarjuna

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Inge

Bodhisattva precepts in the tradition of Nagarjuna

Post by Inge »

Hi
Can you tell me if the The 12 Major and 48 Secondary Precepts of the Bodhisattva Canon are from the tradition of Nagarjuna?

Or are they from the Brahma Net Sutra?

If the above is not from the tradition of Nagarjuna, can you refer me to a online resource listing the major and minor Bodhisattva Precepts in his tradition?
Nicholas Weeks

Re: Bodhisattva precepts in the tradition of Nagarjuna

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

At the bottom right of this you will see a link taking you to the minor precepts:

http://community.palouse.net/lotus/vows.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

The 10+48 is from the Brahma Net Sutra used in East Asia. The 18+46 version is used in Tibet. The 16 precepts version is used in modern Soto Zen but it's just a derivation from the Tendai presentation of the Brahma Net Sutra's precepts.
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
Anders

Post by Anders »

Does 'tradition of nagarjuna' mean that Madhyamika would have used a different set of bodhisattva precepts?
"Even if my body should be burnt to death in the fires of hell
I would endure it for myriad lifetimes
As your companion in practice"

--- Gandavyuha Sutra
Inge

Post by Inge »

Thank you for the links to those resources Will and Astus.

In the book "Perfect Conduct, Ascertaining the Three Vows", it is stated that in the tradition of Nagarjuna there are 18 root downfalls and 80 auxilary faults. The 80 auxilary faults are only mentioned briefly in I way that I have problems understanding.

In the links provided above there are only 46 auxilary precepts. Is it 46 or 80? This is confusing.

As to terminology, is vow the same as precept? And is it correct to say that the precepts is to not commit the root downfalls or auxilary faults?
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

Madhyamaka is not an order but a method. Methods don't have precepts as far as I know. What the "tradition of Nagarjuna" is is a question to me but I doubt he could have heard about the above mentioned sets of precepts.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
Inge

Post by Inge »

Anders Honore wrote:Does 'tradition of nagarjuna' mean that Madhyamika would have used a different set of bodhisattva precepts?
Different than what?

Certainly I don't know anything about this topic, but what I have read is that in Tibet there are different Bodhisattva vows in the tradition of Nagarjuna and in the tradition of Asanga.

One place I read that there are actually many different sets of the vows.
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

The book itself explains what it means (on p. 64):
Gambhiradarsanaparampara (Tradition of the Profound View), compliled by Manjusri, elaborated by Nagarjuna et al., propagated by Santideva
Udaracaryaparampara (Tradition of Extremely Vast Conduct) compiled by Maitreya, elaborated by Asanga and his brother, propagated by Atisa
tradition of Padmasambhava follows that of Nagarjuna

Later it says that the 80 auxiliary vows are in the Siksasamuccaya (Compendium of Precepts), which is by Santideva thus the "tradition of Nagarjuna". The mentioned 18+46 set is in the "tradition of Asanga".

The text itself is a Nyingmapa Dzogchen work that was commented upon by Dudjom Rinpoche.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

Inge

Post by Inge »

Astus wrote:The book itself explains what it means (on p. 64):
Gambhiradarsanaparampara (Tradition of the Profound View), compliled by Manjusri, elaborated by Nagarjuna et al., propagated by Santideva
Udaracaryaparampara (Tradition of Extremely Vast Conduct) compiled by Maitreya, elaborated by Asanga and his brother, propagated by Atisa

Later it says that the 80 auxiliary vows are in the Siksasamuccaya (Compendium of Precepts), which is by Santideva thus the "tradition of Nagarjuna". The mentioned 18+46 set is in the "tradition of Asanga".

The text itself is a Nyingmapa Dzogchen work that was commented upon by Dudjom Rinpoche.
Yes, so does this mean that the vows presented in the links given by you and Will is from the tradition of Asanga?

I have tried searching for an english translation of the Siksasamuccaya but have not found one yet. Do you know if such translation is available?
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

Inge wrote:
Astus wrote:The book itself explains what it means (on p. 64):

Yes, so does this mean that the vows presented in the links given by you and Will is from the tradition of Asanga?

I have tried searching for an english translation of the Siksasamuccaya but have not found one yet. Do you know if such translation is available?
I remember having read a translation of it at sometime in the past. Now I found two english translations of it, both printed in India: Bendall,C.& Rouse,W.H.D., SiksaSamuccaya; A Compendium of Buddhist Doctrine (Delhi; Motilal Banarsidass,1971) Repr. Delhi 1990
Joshi,L.M., Santideva's Siksasamuccaya-karikas (Mulagandhakuti Vihara, Sarnath, India: Maha Bodhi Society 1965)
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

Inge wrote:Yes, so does this mean that the vows presented in the links given by you and Will is from the tradition of Asanga?

Yes, the 18+46 is the Asanga version. There is an old translation, also available somewhere online (don't have the link now, was in a thread a while ago).
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

ground

Post by ground »

Aemilius wrote:
Inge wrote: I have tried searching for an english translation of the Siksasamuccaya but have not found one yet. Do you know if such translation is available?
I remember having read a translation of it at sometime in the past. Now I found two english translations of it, both printed in India: Bendall,C.& Rouse,W.H.D., SiksaSamuccaya; A Compendium of Buddhist Doctrine (Delhi; Motilal Banarsidass,1971) Repr. Delhi 1990
Joshi,L.M., Santideva's Siksasamuccaya-karikas (Mulagandhakuti Vihara, Sarnath, India: Maha Bodhi Society 1965)
http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2069" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kind regards
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

The content of the bodhisattva (ignoring tantric vows) vows (18 + 46) is the same in the Indo-Tibetan tradition. The actual ritual or procedure of taking them slightly differs between the Asanga & Nagarjuna traditions.
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”