YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

masturbation what's wrong? - Page 8 - Dhamma Wheel

masturbation what's wrong?

Some topics tend to get heated and go off track in unwholesome ways quite quickly. The "hot topics" sub-forum is a place where such topics may be moved so that each post must be manually approved by moderator before it will become visible to members.
tiltbillings

Re: masturbation what's wrong?

Postby tiltbillings » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:36 am

Individual

Postby Individual » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:28 am

The best things in life aren't things.

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:38 am

Jechbi

Postby Jechbi » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:09 am

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:25 am

Jechbi

Postby Jechbi » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:39 am

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:49 am

Jechbi

Postby Jechbi » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:09 am

nathan

Postby nathan » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:28 am

It must be interesting to be like those who've found both their sexual experience and their relationships to be sufficiently monotone that it could be conceivable to make rationally moral and ethical pronouncements about sensuality and responsibility that make sense in the context of awareness of the truth about the nature of being beyond remaining constant in an awareness that one is simply avoiding what are clearly knowable to oneself as obvious forms of abuse of oneself or others. I'm not sure if I should pity such people or envy them.

I was sitting by the river today, the wind gusting across the water, sending waves of diamonds bouncing about in the summer sun. Am I supposed to turn away or just blush when I experience something like that which impresses itself both as deeply sensual and also as elementally and entirely impersonal? Should I have locked myself in the closet for the duration of what has been such a beautiful day just because it turns me on? If I've found sexual intercourse equally impersonal at moments in the heat of the very passion of it, or even painful, or unpleasant, or a million other things does that mean I've erred somehow simply because I'm paying very intense attention to ALL that in it's vast diversity of combination arises in my consciousness and by means of the senses and the body while engaged in what can also be such a very deep form of therapy, communication and bonding with a member of the opposite sex? If I've determined that, in itself, all forms of sensuality are essentially arising within my own body, mind and senses regardless of whether anyone else is involved or not should I forbid others from ever touching me again simply because I know it to be true that my sensuality is fundamentally entirely my own and that I can turn it on and off like a tap if I so choose? Turning my sex impulses almost entirely off is more or less what I have done, having, as far as I can see, figured all of this stuff out some time ago. I keep that form of awareness turned on just the slightest little bit because other people generally relax better around a more conventionally sexual being. I don't think I actually have any natural responses to the sexuality of others anymore, I have to conjure the stuff up now out of the same smoke and mirrors that everything else comes from.

It seems like a silly game to me now somehow, the whole societal song and dance with all of it's taboos, pretenses and protocols. Seems like regardless of how much wisdom we acquire from elsewhere, western society will never get this one simple part of life straightened out to the point where they could actually build a healthy society based on rational sexual mores but instead continue to look for new ways to develop new bases for their profound sexual, social and ethical perversions. It's kind of sad to see buddhism put to the purpose especially since attitudes in the east have appeared so much healthier to me in the light of these same philosophical and religious influences. I would have thought it would be more of a positive and liberating influence in the west as well instead of breeding more repressive and oppressive thinking.

To be entirely honest I would probably have to say that it was about a million hours of increasingly unspeakably great sex that really cured me of the deepest forms of desire for it and not any of the time I spent pretending I wasn't a fundamentally sensual creature, I realize that isn't by the book dhamma but it worked like a charm in my case.
:anjali:
But whoever walking, standing, sitting, or lying down overcomes thought, delighting in the stilling of thought: he's capable, a monk like this, of touching superlative self-awakening. § 110. {Iti 4.11; Iti 115}

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:33 am

Macavity

Postby Macavity » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:56 am

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:57 am

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:59 am

Macavity

Postby Macavity » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:03 am

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:07 am

nathan

Postby nathan » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:11 am

But whoever walking, standing, sitting, or lying down overcomes thought, delighting in the stilling of thought: he's capable, a monk like this, of touching superlative self-awakening. § 110. {Iti 4.11; Iti 115}

Jechbi

Postby Jechbi » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:15 am

Jechbi

Postby Jechbi » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:27 am

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:33 am

cooran

Postby cooran » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:48 am

Hello Jechbi, Tilt, all,

The Buddha assumed that in any community there were people who were looked up to, respected, and whose words were taken seriously and an attempt was made to live up to them.
He called these people the Viññū (The Wise).

Regarding The Viññū (The Wise), Thanissaro Bhikkhu says:
...."Traditions are not to be followed simply because they are traditions. Reports (such as historical accounts or news) are not to be followed simply because the source seems reliable.
One's own preferences are not to be followed simply because they seem logical or resonate with one's feelings.

Instead, any view or belief must be tested by the results it yields when put into practice; and — to guard against the possibility of any bias or limitations in one's understanding of those results — they must further be checked against the experience of people who are wise.
The ability to question and test one's beliefs in an appropriate way is called appropriate attention.
The ability to recognize and choose wise people as mentors is called having admirable friends. According to Iti 16-17, these are, respectively, the most important internal and external factors for attaining the goal of the practice."

Drinking a favorite tea while reading our favorite author, listening to a beautiful piece of music, the company of good friends, exerise, wearing one's favorite shirt, playing with one's grandkids, petting one's dog, abowl of popcorn, video games, looking at sunsets, movies, are not seen by the Viññū (The Wise) as unwholesome actions to be avoided. But within our societies, past or present, I don't know of any culture or religion where the Viññū (The Wise) state that masturbation is a good and wholesome thing to be practised, pursued or encouraged.

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

Return to “Hot Topics”