Knowledge and Awareness in Buddha

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Mr. G

Re: Knowledge and Awareness in Buddha

Post by Mr. G »

alasdairyee wrote:With complete respect Mr. Gordo, no offence.

Firstly, being in a buddhist forum, it is only wise to be nice as we are all or at least most of us are nice people. Patience is what we are to cultivate, anger, hatred and harsh speech should not be tolerated.
Have you been reading CSEe's and Hanzee's posts? There's a combined total of about over 300. They are trolling and have no desire to learn or discuss Buddhism. They wish to discuss Hanzeeism and CSEeism. CSEe has no problem stating that the Buddha said life is worthless and that killing is not an issue. This is just slander against the triple gem, and they have been treated with an unprecedented amount of patience by members here. I am not a fundamentalist Buddhist, but their intentions here are not sincere and neither one of them have made any genuine effort in learning about Buddhism.
Secondly, you proclaiming yourself as a buddhist, I think it would be disgraceful to let others see your actions. Your words are a reflection of your cultivation and practice
I don't judge your practice, don't judge mine.
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
alasdairyee

Post by alasdairyee »

My apologies I take that back. I'm sorry.

But would you mind being nicer?

I thought that comment was too harsh.

Namo Amituofo!
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

alasdairyee wrote:My apologies I take that back. I'm sorry.
No apologies necessary.
But would you mind being nicer?

I thought that comment was too harsh.
I will do everything in my power to be nicer. :group:
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
alasdairyee

Post by alasdairyee »

Ooops sorry i typed this before seeing your recent post. This is in reply to the one that is earlier. Not to add more fuel to this situation. But since I typed it I shall just let it stay.

Whatever it is, being practitioners ourselves. I believe, at least for myself, that my words are a reflection of my practice. If after 40 years of practice, I still lose my temper, speak harsh words, hate others, not show compassion to every other being, then that 40 years of practice, imo is wasted, nothing useful has been gained.

IMHO,Life is a chance to practice and develop virtues, if I don't take such opportunities, even in the lightest of situations, I wouldn't be able to develop them.
Virtues like certain lifeskills are for practical application, you can't read a manual on how to operate an airplane and fly without practice, you just can't do it, only with practice would you be certain that you can fly an airplane.

I understand that sometimes peoples views are different from ours, we could ask ourselves if these views are correct, and if after investigation, such views are what you define as wrong views, we could share with them our views or maybe ignore. What to do with them would be the job for the mods, I'm not fully in support of banning, but maybe what we can do is to tolerate, share with them our views(if ours are actually right in the first place).

Bodhisattva Vows
"I vow to liberate all beings, without number"

If we could share with people with wrong views, the right views, then that is true compassion, that is fulfilling the very basic of our bodhisattva vows. That imo, would be the best solution. If one could do that without giving up, one is truly compassionate.

Again, if all else fails do not lose your temper, do not use harsh words. Ignore and back off, that would be the best of everyones interests.

All these are the reflection of my own thoughts, I do not impose them on anyone, it is totally up to oneself.

Again, I apologise for the wrong usage of words. Please forgive me.

Namo Amituofo!
With Metta.
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

alasdairyee wrote:Ooops sorry i typed this before seeing your recent post. This is in reply to the one that is earlier. Not to add more fuel to this situation. But since I typed it I shall just let it stay.

Whatever it is, being practitioners ourselves. I believe, at least for myself, that my words are a reflection of my practice. If after 40 years of practice, I still lose my temper, speak harsh words, hate others, not show compassion to every other being, then that 40 years of practice, imo is wasted, nothing useful has been gained.

IMHO,Life is a chance to practice and develop virtues, if I don't take such opportunities, even in the lightest of situations, I wouldn't be able to develop them.
Virtues like certain lifeskills are for practical application, you can't read a manual on how to operate an airplane and fly without practice, you just can't do it, only with practice would you be certain that you can fly an airplane.

I understand that their views are different from those that we understand are the words of the buddha, what to do with them would be the job for the mods. What we can do is to tolerate, share with them our views and if to no avail and you give up, then ignore.

Bodhisattva Vows

If we could share with people with wrong views, the right views, then that is true compassion, that is fulfilling the very basic of our bodhisattva vows. That imo, would be the best solution. If one could do that without giving up, one is truly compassionate.

Again, if all else fails do not lose your temper, do not use harsh words. Ignore and back off, that would be the best of everyones interests.

All these are the reflection of my own thoughts, I do not impose them on anyone, it is totally up to oneself.

Namo Amituofo!
With Metta.

We all misunderstand on a regular basis, due to the medium's limitations. :)

When people enter forum and create large numbers of posts which are either insulting to Buddhadharma or just plain disruptive, we have a limited number of options.

At first people tried to help and there is plenty of evidence of that. However, whatever people posted fell on deaf ears, and the nonsense continued, in spite of warnings about disruption.

Now, the one element in this which you seem to have omitted is the motivation which leads us to greet some members who repeatedly post nonsense with humour rather than banning or suspending them as trolls.

Buddha taught compassion - he didn't say what form it should take on a web forum. LOL :)

I actually have vows which require me to display wrath if it helps another being. ;)

Sorry if we appeared to be too harsh.
Left
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Compassion is to be tempered with wisdom. They are equating their views to that of the Buddha's. They have been repeatedly advised to do due diligence, and their response has been to indirectly state that it is something that is unnecesary to to do. They conflate their erroneous views with that of the Buddha's, and have a complete disregard to anyone's views except their own. It is no better than an advaitist who comes on this forum and states their view is equivalent to Buddhism's....it is not. This is a Buddhist forum for members to discuss Buddhism in addition to being a forum where new members can learn about Buddhism. CSEe and Hanzee does not fit into either of these categories. They are not here to learn or discuss. They are here to espouse their new-age gobbledy gook...they have no intentions of learning from anyone here.

Do you not have a problem with members who put non-dharmic words in the mouth of Shakyamuni Buddha? Amitabha Buddha? Compassion is to be tempered with wisdom.

I am doing my part to save all sentient beings by preventing CSEe and Hanzee from slandering the Dharma and creating negative causes and conditions for themselves which they do quite a good job of.

:namaste:
alasdairyee wrote:Ooops sorry i typed this before seeing your recent post. This is in reply to the one that is earlier. Not to add more fuel to this situation. But since I typed it I shall just let it stay.

I understand that sometimes peoples views are different from ours, we could ask ourselves if these views are correct, and if after investigation, such views are what you define as wrong views, we could share with them our views or maybe ignore. What to do with them would be the job for the mods, I'm not fully in support of banning, but maybe what we can do is to tolerate, share with them our views(if ours are actually right in the first place).

Bodhisattva Vows

Namo Amituofo!
With Metta.
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
alasdairyee

Post by alasdairyee »

I would say do it skillfully.
I am doing my part to save all sentient beings by preventing CSEe and Hanzee from slandering the Dharma and creating negative causes and conditions for themselves which they do quite a good job of.
I understand your kind intentions here.
However, maybe this can be a reminder for everyone to take note of what they say and if they're unsure of what they speak off, they should say that those are their own views humbly and do not say that that is what buddha said. I see some effort in some members doing that. Some have made some valuable posts in this forum, IMHO it would be best that you do not mention names.

I do not doubt the intentions of the 2 members which you have mentioned. This thread started, seeking views of others could very well be prove.
Compassion is to be tempered with wisdom.
I agree. However things need to be done skillfully. I would say do what you think buddha would do. We won't have buddha shutting us up, insulting us and using harsh words on us if he knows that by doing so, we will only walk away and shun his teachings. Only by teaching by example would we be so respectful to such a wise and compassionate teacher. Moreover, that wouldn't be the Mr Siddharta I know of.

Compassion is first priority. (IMO)

I would very much like to see trolls in the forum being lured to the buddhist teachings by our compassion, patiences and virtue. That would be an awesome sight indeed.

Namo Amituofo!
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

I understand what you are lecturing me on, and I disagree. This forum is being trolled as a joke and disrupting threads from members who have serious inquiries.
I would say do what you think buddha would do.
Hmmm...what would Vajrakilaya do? ;)
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

alasdairyee wrote:I would say do it skillfully.
However, maybe this can be a reminder for everyone to take note of what they say and if they're unsure of what they speak off, they should say that those are their own views humbly and do not say that that is what buddha said. I see some effort in some members doing that. Some have made some valuable posts in this forum, IMHO it would be best that you do not mention names.

I do not doubt the intentions of the 2 members which you have mentioned. This thread started, seeking views of others could very well be prove.
I agree. However things need to be done skillfully. I would say do what you think buddha would do. We won't have buddha shutting us up, insulting us and using harsh words on us if he knows that by doing so, we will only walk away and shun his teachings. Only by teaching by example would we be so respectful to such a wise and compassionate teacher. Moreover, that wouldn't be the Mr Siddharta I know of.

I would very much like to see trolls in the forum being lured to the buddhist teachings by our compassion, patiences and virtue. That would be an awesome sight indeed.

Namo Amituofo!

You have obviously not read the thread. They have zero interest in Buddhism and reject Buddhahdarma. However, please felel free to show us all by your own example, rather than preaching at people, which of itself is pretty arrogant. I will post as I see fit, and know my own motivation, asy you may also do.

You may also wish to check up on Compassion and the forms it may take.

When you join a forum it is clear what the ToS are - if you feel there have been breaches, report the posts.
Left
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Post by Ngawang Drolma »

Yeshe wrote:
CSEe wrote: By learning from other ( all living and non-living ) and by sharing awareness with other people with sincere heart with a perception that all living and non-living is the same and equal will increase our own awareness .
If we are all the same and equal there is nothing to be gained from others. You already have equal awareness and nobody else needs to share it; nor do you need to learn from others.

Therefore, whay seek what you already possess? Your logic dictates that you must look to yourself, and nobody else, so why are you here on a forum?
:good:
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Yeshe wrote:
alasdairyee wrote:I would say do it skillfully.

Namo Amituofo!

You have obviously not read the thread. They have zero interest in Buddhism and reject Buddhahdarma. However, please felel free to show us all by your own example, rather than preaching at people, which of itself is pretty arrogant. I will post as I see fit, and know my own motivation, asy you may also do.

You may also wish to check up on Compassion and the forms it may take.

When you join a forum it is clear what the ToS are - if you feel there have been breaches, report the posts.
So why are they still being tolerated?
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
CSEe

Post by CSEe »

mr. gordo wrote:
Have you been reading CSEe's and Hanzee's posts? There's a combined total of about over 300.....................

Dear Mr Gordo , about 2500 years ago a man said to be Mr Siddharta introduced to human " Buddha" , one man/ one "knowledge" but now after about 2500 years we have thousand of culture / thousand of tradition / teaching / text each claiming to be true . Why ? Becouse of ego , selfish , everybody see themself greater than other , wiser than animal , larger than a virus and thinking that they are mastery in Buddhism and eager to teach but fail to learn .
What is Buddhism to you sir ? Comparing knowledge ? If I learned from a "great monk" or know alot of terms in Buddha will you have different perception of me ?

Sir , I am not teaching you but I hope I could share with you what I think I know about " Buddhism". I believe " Buddhism is about get rid of all desire / emotions to be pure .

Sir , if I regard all living / non-living is "same and equal " to me , I am in right path to Buddha , if I accept " same and equal" I am closer to Buddha and if nothing but " same and equal" i am fully awake .......pure ....the Buddha .

Sir , I am aware of my intention here , trolling is never there .

Thks
Ee
CSEe

Post by CSEe »

[quote="alasdairyee"]Ooops sorry i typed this before seeing your recent post. This is in reply to the one that is earlier. Not to add more fuel to this situation. But since I typed it I shall just let it stay......................

Hi alasdairyee , indeed you are right , I learned from your views / understanding . what is the meaning of IMO/IMHO ?

Thks
Ee
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

Dear friends, angry, relaxed, in the mood of a task or seeing something right or wrong...

Marmalade made a real good pool

Practicing, awareness and metta
Just that! :-)
Marmalade

Post by Marmalade »

Hanzze wrote:Dear friends, angry, relaxed, in the mood of a task or seeing something right or wrong...

Marmalade made a real good pool

Practicing, awareness and metta
Yes, Hanzze, I'm searching.

And I say what I mean. Tonight, in a revealing interchange, I came into something of a conflict with a moderator on DhammaWheel, on a rather explosive issue, here:

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7380" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I suppose I can ask penetrating questions.

But I am not sure at all that I agree with what you, or that other "fish", "CSEe" are saying, to be honest.

So I feel somewhat uncomfortable with what appears to be your praise of me.
Hello, I am not actually a Buddhist, and I know only some very limited basics about Buddhism. I'd like to know a bit more and to ask a few questions, if that's OK. :)
Marmalade

Post by Marmalade »

Yeshe wrote: I actually have vows which require me to display wrath if it helps another being. ;)

Sorry if we appeared to be too harsh.

Fo me as a newcomer, this helps my understanding.

Hello, I am not actually a Buddhist, and I know only some very limited basics about Buddhism. I'd like to know a bit more and to ask a few questions, if that's OK. :)
CSEe

Post by CSEe »

[quote="mr. gordo"]Compassion is to be tempered with wisdom.

Dear Mr Gordo ............read again and again what you write and see yourself in what you write . I am CSEe and you are Mr Gordo if you wish to see you in me in Buddha that is great but In Buddha you have to see me " same and equal " with you .

Sir , I can easily accept you are mastery in " Buddha knowledge" and regard what you know is referral to Buddhism ( sorry if I am wrong ).
Sir , Buddha is not what you wish to find and what you make other found but is alway in our mind . You perhaps drive a BMW , I might be walking but perhaps we both heading same direction . In search of Buddha , awareness can not be tested / compared but could only be learned and shared not like knowledge .

Sir , get out from "the box" of knowledge start search for Buddha in awareness . There are perhaps million more to understand and learn in search of Buddha and knowledge is perhaps 1PPM ( part per million )

Sorry if I offended you in any possible way .

Thks
Ee
rose
Site Admin

Post by rose »

CSEe wrote:
Dear Mr Gordo ............read again and again what you write and see yourself in what you write . I am CSEe and you are Mr Gordo if you wish to see you in me in Buddha that is great but In Buddha you have to see me " same and equal " with you .

Sir , I can easily accept you are mastery in " Buddha knowledge" and regard what you know is referral to Buddhism ( sorry if I am wrong ).
Sir , Buddha is not what you wish to find and what you make other found but is alway in our mind . You perhaps drive a BMW , I might be walking but perhaps we both heading same direction . In search of Buddha , awareness can not be tested / compared but could only be learned and shared not like knowledge .

Sir , get out from "the box" of knowledge start search for Buddha in awareness . There are perhaps million more to understand and learn in search of Buddha and knowledge is perhaps 1PPM ( part per million )

Sorry if I offended you in any possible way .

Thks
Ee
CSEe

OK enough is enough. I have spoken before about what this website was created for. It was created for Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhist practitioners and those interested in Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism, not the
CSEe wrote:... perhaps million more to understand and learn ...
ways. If it is not possible to discuss and share Dharma as generally accepted amongst Mahayana and Vajrayana practitioners there is no point in continuing to post. Is that clear?

I hope you find what you are looking for. I wish you well on your path.

Regards,
rt
CSEe

Post by CSEe »

[quote="Yeshe"]
When people enter forum and create large numbers of posts which are either insulting to Buddhadharma ...............

Hi Yeshe ,
" Insult" to Buddhadharma ? I had a feeling perhaps one of the "problem" here is me . Is my writing insult to Buddhism or teaching ?
Or perhaps thousand of tradition associated with Buddha ?

If I always think I am right , what I learn is right , I will never know Buddha I will always be myself - the wonderer .
There was a monk said to me " Ee , you like a cup already full of water can not be fill any more " and I said to him "Sir thanks for your views but in search of Buddha is not filling on other cup but filling our own "
He said " go away"

Too many people here comparing knowledge with each other , spending too much time in gaining knowledge but in search of Buddha I believe we have to gain awareness not just knowledge .
For example :-
2300 years ago Asoka changed from in war to in peace . There must be some great awareness that capable to " push" him to higher awareness that makes him changed so drasticly . If he could share his knowledge / his emotion / his compassion / his desire / his determination that moved him , I could learn alot and perhaps move my own awareness .
Do you think Asoka changed becouse he read buddha texts ? I Believe not , is perhaps he accept " same and equal" , feel pain same and equal with the victim , feel sorrow same and equal with them , seeing thier love one as him .
Thks Ee
Last edited by CSEe on Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
rose
Site Admin

Post by rose »

CSEe wrote:
Yeshe wrote: When people enter forum and create large numbers of posts which are either insulting to Buddhadharma ...............

Hi Yeshe ,
" Insult" to Buddhadharma ? I had a feeling perhaps one of the "problem" here is me . Is my writing insult to Buddhism or teaching ?
Or perhaps thousand of tradition associated with Buddha ?

If I always think they are right , what tI learn is right , I will never know Buddha I will always be myself - the wonderer .
There was a monk said to me " Ee , you like a cup already full of water can not be fill any more " and I said to him "Sir thanks for your views but in search of Buddha is not filling on other cup but filling our own "
He said " go away"

Too many people here comparing knowledge with each other , spending too much time in gaining knowledge but in search of Buddha I believe we have to gain awareness not just knowledge .
For example :-
2300 years ago Asoka changed from in war to in peace . There must be some great awareness that capable to " push" him to higher awareness that makes him changed so drasticly . If he could share his knowledge / his emotion / his compassion / his desire / his determination that moved him , I could learn alot and perhaps move my own awareness .
Do you think Asoka changed becouse he read buddha texts ? I Believe not , is perhaps he accept " same and equal" , feel pain same and equal with the victim , feel sorrow same and equal with them , seeing thier love one as him .
Thks Ee
CSEe

Stop posting the same thing over and over. If you continue to do this further action may be taken

For your information people who use this website quite possibly read posts in every forum. By your continuing to post more or less the same thing over and over again it could be viewed and is already viewed by some as trolling.

So once again, please stop posting the same thing over and over and over.

Regards,
rt

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”