practising and non-practising Buddhists?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Hanzze

Re: practising and non-practising Buddhists?

Post by Hanzze »

Marmalade wrote:
Hanzze wrote: Dear Marmalade,
if it would be that to follow Buddha means to reduce harming, develop compassion and help others and out of that your own mind gets calmer and your life is filled with loving kindness and joy, would it be different to someone who practice 100% in following Jesus?

I would think so, Hanzze, yes.

(However, my question was not about that issue).
Than I would say, a real practicing Christian is not different to a real practicing Buddhist. There might be some other rituals or prayers. If you know the different in Christian you also know the different in Buddhism and also the wide spectrum of different kinds in different tradition.

If you search differences, I can not see that much but as well as in Christian there is also a big desire to find differences by many "practicing" Buddhists. So maybe I am really off topic.
Just that! :-)
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

Hanzze wrote:
Marmalade wrote:
Hanzze wrote: Dear Marmalade,
if it would be that to follow Buddha means to reduce harming, develop compassion and help others and out of that your own mind gets calmer and your life is filled with loving kindness and joy, would it be different to someone who practice 100% in following Jesus?

I would think so, Hanzze, yes.

(However, my question was not about that issue).
Than I would say, a real practicing Christian is not different to a real practicing Buddhist. There might be some other rituals or prayers. If you know the different in Christian you also know the different in Buddhism and also the wide spectrum of different kinds in different tradition.

If you search differences, I can not see that much but as well as in Christian there is also a big desire to find differences by many "practicing" Buddhists. So maybe I am really off topic.
Practising moral virtue and being a 'good' person is not what defines a Buddhist - it is Refuge in the 3 Jewels.

Buddhists, Moslems, Jews, Christians, Hindus, Jains - all may practice moral discipline, but for quite different reasons.
As a Buddhist, I believe that all, however, share in the benefit derived from positive karma.

The motivation for a Buddhist is derived from Buddha's teachings and framed within Refuge.
Left
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

Yeshe wrote: Practising moral virtue and being a 'good' person is not what defines a Buddhist - it is Refuge in the 3 Jewels.

Buddhists, Moslems, Jews, Christians, Hindus, Jains - all may practice moral discipline, but for quite different reasons.

The motivation for a Buddhist is derived from Buddha's teachings and framed within Refuge.
So it looks like they are even in the first Christian precept in a kind indent. It looks like they need to stay different from a "Buddhist" view.

But what did the Buddha said regarding that (What can be excepted as an equal wholesome path, did he told that there is only one path [religion])?
Marmalade

Post by Marmalade »

Hanzze wrote: If you search differences, I can not see that much but as well as in Christian there is also a big desire to find differences by many "practicing" Buddhists. So maybe I am really off topic.
Well, it is not really what I was asking about. ;)
Hello, I am not actually a Buddhist, and I know only some very limited basics about Buddhism. I'd like to know a bit more and to ask a few questions, if that's OK. :)
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

Marmalade,
then please sorry for taking your time.
ground

Post by ground »

TMingyur wrote:
Marmalade wrote:I'd like to ask if there are practising Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhists and non-practising Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhists?
Yes there are both types.
Marmalade wrote: If so, what generally, is considered to be important in defining practising Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhists? Regular meditation, and frequent reading of the relevant scriptures, perhaps?
To capture this through definition is not possible. Why? Because there are times when refraining from practice is the best practice. However even this "refraining from" can hardly be practiced appropriately if not conditioned by former hearing/reading and meditation.
Marmalade wrote: Particularly, is the excercise of kindness towards others, and non-violence considered very important?
Yes. I would add "towards oneself".

Kind regards
In addition to this ... what actually may be the characteristic (unobservable) mark of practice is the presence of "right view" which means that
- even when there is a lot of observable practice going on, if "right view" is absent then it is not to be considered "practice"
- even when there is not any sign of observable practice, if "right view" is present then it is to be considered "practice".

Kind regards
Marmalade

Post by Marmalade »

TMingyur wrote: In addition to this ... what actually may be the characteristic (unobservable) mark of practice is the presence of "right view" which means that
- even when there is a lot of observable practice going on, if "right view" is absent then it is not to be considered "practice"
- even when there is not any sign of observable practice, if "right view" is present then it is to be considered "practice".

Kind regards
I think that's an interesting last point, TMingyur, thanks.
Hello, I am not actually a Buddhist, and I know only some very limited basics about Buddhism. I'd like to know a bit more and to ask a few questions, if that's OK. :)

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”