Dharma Wheel

A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:41 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:36 am
Posts: 4027
Location: Spaceship Earth
Hey all,

I'm looking for the Namchoe Amitabha practice as taught by H.E. Ayang Rinpoche. It's supposed to be a guided visualization following an audio recording of Ayang Rinpoche. I've been told it does not require an empowerment. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I was actually hoping to go to a Phowa teaching this year held by Ayang Rinpoche, but unfortunately, there are no events scheduled for 2011.

_________________
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:37 pm 
Online

Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:19 pm
Posts: 612
Location: Lafayette, CO
I've taken H.E. Ayang Rinpoche's phowa course in Bodhgaya and I was absolutely wonderful. However, I believe the sadhana you're referring to (there's both a long and short one) do require initiation and lung. For sure Rinpoche gave both at the course I was at. The sadhana does involve self-visualization as the deity (Chenrezing) for the dag-kye who then is supplicating Amitabha, the dun-kye. Regardless, I highly recommend H.E. Ayang's Rinpoche's phowa course wherever or whenever you get a chance to do it. I know I plan on doing it again, and it was clear that, at the course I attended, there were a number of students who had done the course several/many times. The blessings were amazing.

_________________
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:45 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:49 pm
Posts: 2808
Location: Bay Area, CA, USA
Agree that empowerment is preferred, but I don't think doing the practice prior to getting empowerment is "verboten," in this case.

Here: http://www.kdk.org/book.html

_________________
May any merit generated by on-line discussion
Be dedicated to the Ultimate Benefit of All Sentient Beings.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:36 am
Posts: 4027
Location: Spaceship Earth
pemachophel wrote:
I've taken H.E. Ayang Rinpoche's phowa course in Bodhgaya and I was absolutely wonderful. However, I believe the sadhana you're referring to (there's both a long and short one) do require initiation and lung. For sure Rinpoche gave both at the course I was at. The sadhana does involve self-visualization as the deity (Chenrezing) for the dag-kye who then is supplicating Amitabha, the dun-kye. Regardless, I highly recommend H.E. Ayang's Rinpoche's phowa course wherever or whenever you get a chance to do it. I know I plan on doing it again, and it was clear that, at the course I attended, there were a number of students who had done the course several/many times. The blessings were amazing.


That sounds great pema. I hope to have the opportunity to meet Ayang Rinpoche one day.

I saw on the NY site for Ayang Rinpoche that they do a practice of his that doesn't require empowerment. I will check further.

conebeckham wrote:
Agree that empowerment is preferred, but I don't think doing the practice prior to getting empowerment is "verboten," in this case.

Here: http://www.kdk.org/book.html


Hi cone,

Which one is it on that page? I will email them to confirm if empowerment is required.

_________________
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:14 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:49 pm
Posts: 2808
Location: Bay Area, CA, USA
There's an Amitabha Sadhana listed.....and also, I think they have a tape of the practice. It is the short sadhana, I think, but I know it is the Namcho from Namcho Mingyur Dorje.

_________________
May any merit generated by on-line discussion
Be dedicated to the Ultimate Benefit of All Sentient Beings.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:16 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:49 pm
Posts: 2808
Location: Bay Area, CA, USA
from www.kdk.org bookstore...

Amitabha Puja CD $12.00
Amitabha - $7.00


The sadhana itself is not listed under those "requiring empowerment,"......

_________________
May any merit generated by on-line discussion
Be dedicated to the Ultimate Benefit of All Sentient Beings.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:36 am
Posts: 4027
Location: Spaceship Earth
conebeckham wrote:
from http://www.kdk.org bookstore...

Amitabha Puja CD $12.00
Amitabha - $7.00


The sadhana itself is not listed under those "requiring empowerment,"......


Thanks cone!

_________________
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: pemachophel and 15 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group