Longchen Nyingtik in Karma Kagyu?

Inge

Longchen Nyingtik in Karma Kagyu?

Post by Inge »

Is Longchen Nyingtik practiced within Karma Kagyu? Could one approach a Karma Kagyu Lama if one wish to practice Longchen Nyingtik ngondro as taught in "Words of my Perfect Teacher"?
Josef

Re: Longchen Nyingtik in Karma Kagyu?

Post by Josef »

It would depend on the lama.
I cant think of any right off hand but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if there were KK lamas out there who transmit LNN and well as sarma ngondro.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Some do, sure.
My teacher doesn't teach it publically, but he did give Rigdzin Dupa a few years back.....as for what he practices, who knows, eh?
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
J-Bird

Post by J-Bird »

I believe Mingyur Rinpoche is both a holder of the Kagyu (Karma Kamtsang) & Nyigma (Longchen Nyingtik) Lineages.
Although right now, publicly he teaches mostly from the Kamstang tradition.
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

Hi J-Bird,

Although he does hold the Longchen Nyingthig (and many other Nyingma Lineages) Mingyur Rinpoche mostly teaches from the Chokling Tersar when he teaches in the Nyingma tradition, as it is his families lineage through his father, Tulku Urgyen.

Best Wishes,

samdrup
s.
Inge

Post by Inge »

Do you know of any Lamas who either live in Europe, or teach here, that one can contact if one wishes to practice Longchen Nyingtid preliminaries?
heart

Post by heart »

Inge wrote:Do you know of any Lamas who either live in Europe, or teach here, that one can contact if one wishes to practice Longchen Nyingtid preliminaries?
Tulku Dakpa from Mindorling lives in Finland. But I guess there are many other for example in France.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Dhondrub

Post by Dhondrub »

Jigme Khyentse and Tulku Pema Wangyal in the dordogne in france come to mind
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Dhondrub wrote:Jigme Khyentse and Tulku Pema Wangyal in the dordogne in france come to mind
Inge, these two Lamas mentioned above I've never had
the great fortune to meet--but I've heard second-hand
only the best things and if I was in Europe I would
look to them myself. I have a friend that moved from the U.S.
to Europe just to study with Jigme Khyentse Rinpoche.
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
orgyen jigmed

Post by orgyen jigmed »

Inge wrote:Is Longchen Nyingtik practiced within Karma Kagyu? Could one approach a Karma Kagyu Lama if one wish to practice Longchen Nyingtik ngondro as taught in "Words of my Perfect Teacher"?

You may want to consider the Drikung Kagyu instead, considering that the 4th Chungtsang Rinpoche - one of the two heads of the Drikung Kagyu tradition - was born to Jigme Lingpa himself, and in this respect the Longchen Nyingthig continues to remain very popular, and in particular with this Kagyu tradition.
"If the aspiration for enlightenment is your motivation in coming to see me, there is no remedy except meditative practice. I, too, will only practice." - Zurpoche Sakya Jungne
Josef

Post by Josef »

orgyen jigmed wrote:
Inge wrote:Is Longchen Nyingtik practiced within Karma Kagyu? Could one approach a Karma Kagyu Lama if one wish to practice Longchen Nyingtik ngondro as taught in "Words of my Perfect Teacher"?

You may want to consider the Drikung Kagyu instead, considering that the 4th Chungtsang Rinpoche - one of the two heads of the Drikung Kagyu tradition - was born to Jigme Lingpa himself, and in this respect the Longchen Nyingthig continues to remain very popular, and in particular with this Kagyu tradition.
They also have their own terma cycle.
Pretty interesting lineage the Drikung is.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa

Return to “Kagyu”