New Lalitavistara Sutra translation

Discuss and learn about the traditional Mahayana scriptures, without assuming that any one school ‘owns’ the only correct interpretation.
Nicholas Weeks

Re: New Lalitavistara Sutra translation

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

It is up now, but the PDF of Karandavyuha is still a no show; except for the title page.
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
Michael_Dorfman

Post by Michael_Dorfman »

Will wrote:It is up now, but the PDF of Karandavyuha is still a no show; except for the title page.
The PDF of the Kāraṇḍavyūha is now available. Looks like they fixed whatever technical problem was holding it back.
udawa

Post by udawa »

Michael_Dorfman wrote:
Will wrote:It is up now, but the PDF of Karandavyuha is still a no show; except for the title page.
The PDF of the Kāraṇḍavyūha is now available. Looks like they fixed whatever technical problem was holding it back.
Thanks Michael. Interested to see that it is translated by Peter Alan Roberts - presumably the same person who has done some fine translations of mahamudra texts.

Again, not sure that I like the English rendition of the title, 'The Basket's Display', but like Lalitavistara, it seems to be a awkward thing to translate. There's an interesting discussion about the difficulties and ambiguities in the introduction.
Edwards: You are a philosopher. Dr Johnson: I have tried too in my time to be a philosopher; but, I don't know how, cheerfulness was always breaking in.
Kunzang

Post by Kunzang »

I still get a title page with this message when trying to download the Karandavyuha pdf:

"The PDF version of The Basket's Display is not yet available. Check back soon."

But at least I can read it online now.
Critics slap labels on you and then expect you to talk inside their terms. - Doris Lessing
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

An excerpt that praises the new Buddha:
Then the bodhisattvas and divine sons throughout the ten directions uttered an expression
of joy:
“An adept among beings, a lotus on the lake of wisdom, has appeared.
Untainted by mundane concerns,
He will cause a cloud of great compassion to mass,
Which will shower throughout the realm of phenomena.

“The gentle rain of Dharma, medicine to living beings,
Will cause all the seeds of the roots of virtue to sprout,
Bring growth to the saplings of faith,
And yield the fruits of liberation.”
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
WuMing

Post by WuMing »

just in case there is still anybody who can't download the text (The Basket's Display - Karandavyuha), please let me know by PM.
Life is great and death has to be just as great as life.
- Mike Tyson
People not only don't know what's happening to them, they don't even know that they don't know.
- Noam Chomsky

Return to “Sūtra Studies”