Incremental numbering of posts within thread

Offer your suggestions about how we can improve this forum to better serve our members, and tell us here about any technical problems.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Incremental numbering of posts within thread

Post by Grigoris »

Maybe it would be a good idea to have incremental numbering of posts within a thread. That way one can refer to the post number instead of having to quote all the post or instead of having to refer a reader to the date and time of the post. This is especially useful when one wishes to draw attention to one of their own (past) posts as quoting ones own posts is a tad haughty! :tongue:
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Rael

Re: Incremental numbering of posts within thread

Post by Rael »

Great Idea...a couple of times here i looked for the post number....

i've had to say stuff like...

so and so said so in this thread....lol
Love Love Love
retrofuturist
Former staff member

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Greg,

I'm not sure how it would be done technically (it might be possible), but one risk is that if there's a deletion or removal of posts from a topic, the numbering would get out of whack. That said, each post is automatically numbered from the POV of the forum itself. Your opening post in this topic was 26392.

Code: Select all

http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3273#p26392
http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... 273#p26392

If I want to refer to a post, I will usually do so by way of a URL to the post itself. If you look at the heading of each post, it's actually a hyperlink, inclusive of a URL.

Metta,
Retro. :)
Live in concord, with mutual appreciation, without disputing, blending like milk and water, viewing each other with kindly eyes.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Thank you for that information Retro! It makes life a lot easier. :twothumbsup:
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

Not sure if this is the method you are suggesting but I right-clicked on the post heading and selected 'Copy Link Location' , then pasted it here:

http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... 701#p26670" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks. :)
Left

Return to “Suggestion Box”