Shakyamuni Buddha Sadhana?

Mr. G

Shakyamuni Buddha Sadhana?

Post by Mr. G »

Hey all,

I'm looking for a practice with Shakyamuni Buddha. The one's I've found are:

Shakyamuni, Muni Vajrasana (Bari) - Ngorchen Konchog Lhundrup
Shakyamuni, Muni Vajrasana (Gyatso) - Thartse Panchen

I'm not familiar with these practices. Can someone tell me a bit about these, or if there are any others?
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
kirtu
Former staff member

Re: Shakyamuni Buddha Sadhana?

Post by kirtu »

mr. gordo wrote:Hey all,

I'm not familiar with these practices. Can someone tell me a bit about these, or if there are any others?
I can email you the English version of the "standard" Sakya Shakyamuni Buddha sadhana. I think this version was written by Jamyang Khentse Wangpo but I have to check.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

kirtu wrote:

I can email you the English version of the "standard" Sakya Shakyamuni Buddha sadhana. I think this version was written by Jamyang Khentse Wangpo but I have to check.

Kirt
Thanks Kirt. I don't know if it requires an empowerment, but I haven't received one for that. Let me know by PM and I'll give you my email. :smile:
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Unusually it doesn't have a colophon line saying who wrote it. I can ask Khenpo Kalsang. This is titled "The Blessing Treasure: A Liturgy of the Buddha" and is English followed by transliterated Tibetan and Sanskrit.

Kirt
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

mr. gordo wrote: Thanks Kirt. I don't know if it requires an empowerment, but I haven't received one for that. Let me know by PM and I'll give you my email. :smile:
I know for sure that it does not require an empowerment. This is considered totally a sutric sadhana. I can scan it to a pdf document and email it to you today.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Thank you! :namaste:
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

This one popped up on a Google search:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/20640473/A-Pr ... m-Rinpoche" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Left
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

In the Bari Lotsawa cycle (these are practices from Atisha that Bari Lotsawa or the Abbot of Narthang collected [it is not clear to me that the Abbot and Bari Lotsawa are the same person - the cycle is called the Bari Lotsawa cycle [also the Narthang Gyatsar cycle] but my notes say that the Abbot of Narthang collected these empowerments, teachings and sadhanas]) there are two Shakyamuni Budda empowerments (the first two in fact). The second empowerment has a complex visualization but the first one is a simple visualization of Shakyamuni Buddha by himself. HE Ratna Vajra Rinpoche said something about the first empowerment being a blessing empowerment but these are not in my notes and this is just from memory.

Anyway, the sadhana that I have was given to me by Khenpo Kalsang and is the standard group sadhana for Shakyamuni Buddha that Sakya Phuntsok Ling uses and anyone can get a copy. They are very careful about protecting sadhanas from being given out inappropriately so I am certain that there will not be a problem.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Yeshe wrote:This one popped up on a Google search:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/20640473/A-Pr ... m-Rinpoche" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks Yeshe!
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
Josef

Post by Josef »

The one by Mipham that you can get through PBC is really good too.
Ah, nevermind, Yeshe beat me to it.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
udawa

Post by udawa »

There is also this nice little sadhana, composed by Karma Thinley Rinpoche, 'Sadhana of The Lord Buddha:
Cloudbanks of Merit' http://www.marpa-gompa.org/sadhana_english.asp

D
Edwards: You are a philosopher. Dr Johnson: I have tried too in my time to be a philosopher; but, I don't know how, cheerfulness was always breaking in.
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

udawa wrote:There is also this nice little sadhana, composed by Karma Thinley Rinpoche, 'Sadhana of The Lord Buddha:
Cloudbanks of Merit' http://www.marpa-gompa.org/sadhana_english.asp

D
Thanks for this udawa. I take it this doesn't require an empowerment?
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
udawa

Post by udawa »

Thanks for this udawa. I take it this doesn't require an empowerment?
Don't know for sure. But the fact that it is freely available (in Tibetan and English translation) on what looks like an official website suggests it's meant to be openly available and practiced. Also, it has a rather mahayana-like feel somehow. Guess you could always contact the marpa-gompa people to check with them if you are concerned.

There's a brief explanation of how it came to be written at the end of the text:

At dawn I dreamt that I was supplicating Lord Buddha in a strong and pleasant voice, and that morning one of my students telephoned and asked me how to perform the recitation of Lord Buddha's mantra. I considered this to be a good omen. Thus this Sadhana of the Lord Buddha was written by me, Karma Thinleypa on Dec. 17th 1986. By the blessings of the Lord Buddha, may it spread far and wide!
Edwards: You are a philosopher. Dr Johnson: I have tried too in my time to be a philosopher; but, I don't know how, cheerfulness was always breaking in.
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Thanks udawa. :smile:
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
sherabpa

Post by sherabpa »

kirtu wrote:

In the Bari Lotsawa cycle (these are practices from Atisha that Bari Lotsawa or the Abbot of Narthang collected [it is not clear to me that the Abbot and Bari Lotsawa are the same person - the cycle is called the Bari Lotsawa cycle [also the Narthang Gyatsar cycle] but my notes say that the Abbot of Narthang collected these empowerments, teachings and sadhanas]) there are two Shakyamuni Budda empowerments (the first two in fact). The second empowerment has a complex visualization but the first one is a simple visualization of Shakyamuni Buddha by himself. HE Ratna Vajra Rinpoche said something about the first empowerment being a blessing empowerment but these are not in my notes and this is just from memory.

Anyway, the sadhana that I have was given to me by Khenpo Kalsang and is the standard group sadhana for Shakyamuni Buddha that Sakya Phuntsok Ling uses and anyone can get a copy. They are very careful about protecting sadhanas from being given out inappropriately so I am certain that there will not be a problem.

Kirt
A small correction - Bari Gyatsa and Narthang Gyatsa are different cycles, and Bari Lotsa and Chim Namkha Drak (Narthang Abbot) are indeed different people, separate by about 200 years.

The former collection contains about 80 initiations from the 4 tantra sets, including one joint practice of Shakyamuni, Maitreya and Avalokitesvara. The latter contains about 35 initiations. There is also the ritual of Shakyamuni and the 16 Arhats from Atisha, which is in another part of the Drupthab Kundu, and Shakyamuni from the Four Deties of the Kadam.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

I got one called "Deshek Lamten" trans. "The Path of Enlightenment" written by the Shamarpa Mipham Chokyi Lodro in 1980. I can send it to you if you want it. I also having an audio recording of the explanation of the sadhana given to me by Lama Sonam Lhundrup (a drupon for three year retreatants at Dhagpo Kundrul Ling monastery) to which I can give you the link. You don't need an empowerment for this practice, it is a sutra practice.
:namaste:
Last edited by Grigoris on Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Return to “Sakya”