Racism in Buddhism?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Hanzze

Racism in Buddhism?

Post by Hanzze »

Buddha Dharma is more that engaged to eliminate Racism, Nationalism and other kinds of Discriminations. There are many techniques to loss discrimination step by step. One practical way, most of us know, is to travel and get in touch with different aspects. The first level is that accepting of different ways (cultures) but it is a weak level, it also easily leads to subtitle conquering or let me call it "lets talk about it at home" tolerance.
The next step is to see the equality of the different behavior/refection, and the more one understands a different culture, the more he starts to understand his own and see that there is in its essence not a little difference.

Now, nearly all "Buddhist" would tell that they are not Non-Racists or non of that "searching for Different"-kind. How much is that reality and how to solve it?

Which kind of Racist are you?
Did you get liberality taught?

*? added in the title of the topic (thanks for the hint!)
Last edited by Hanzze on Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Just that! :-)
ground

Re: Racism in Buddhism

Post by ground »

When there is right view there is no racism.

Kind regards
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

Is it possible to have a right view discrimination? A kind of "Right view - beings" and "not right view - beings" racism...
Would "harmonic" view fix the problem, or maybe "neutral" view.
ground

Post by ground »

Hanzze

your resistance to the Buddha's teachings reminds me of CSE.

The same here
http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?p=26342#p26342" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And everywhere you appear ... be it dhammawheel or dharmawheel.

Both CSE and you share the characteristic to know something that is even better than what the Buddha taught and to proselytize.

Kind regards
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

Is that "right" view, or a kind of "Right view - beings" and "not right view - beings" racism?
Or are the questions to simple?

Is it nonsense to remind on it, as there are no discriminations regarding, different expressions, different teachings, different traditions, different cultures, different rituals, different worship, different spelling, different languages...

Doesn't it catches the very heart of Buddhism? There are many preaching, reciting, telling, proclaiming... what the Buddha taught, and I have not seen one being acting only once in his life without the believe to doing right and abstain from wrong.

The "Right view - beings" and "not right view - beings" racism is very present in all forums, so maybe it is a general Racism in Buddhism, what do you think?
ground

Post by ground »

Hanzze wrote:... what do you think?
That one may spend one's time hunting ghosts

Kind regards
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

So your opinion is that there is no danger of racism in Buddhism as well as there actually is no discrimination in Buddhism?
ground

Post by ground »

Hanzze wrote:So your opinion is that there is no danger of racism in Buddhism as well as there actually is no discrimination in Buddhism?
TMingyur wrote:When there is right view there is no racism.
This is no opinion. This is truth.

Kind regards
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

TMingyur wrote:
Hanzze wrote:So your opinion is that there is no danger of racism in Buddhism as well as there actually is no discrimination in Buddhism?

Kind regards
Could there be a danger in wrong interpretation of "right"? We should not forget that for example Pot Pot was some years a monk and the Hitler seams to be much influenced by Asian philosophy as well (should not be the focus of the topic, but a little "provocative" sample)

I have not seen anybody, who does not thinks he hold a right view. Even it can be accepted as truth it is as much secure as to say, if you make it "right" you will find peace. Actually that would be a truth as well.

Dont you think that the answer is better to be searched in the first three noble truth, ratter than in the truth of escape from the other truth? Could it be not a problem if somebody focuses on the 4th NT rather than to understand the 1st clearly first and than make a jump to the next?
Last edited by Hanzze on Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ground

Post by ground »

Hanzze wrote:
TMingyur wrote:

Kind regards
Could there be a danger in wrong interpretation of "right"?
Not for somebody who has taken refuge.

The Discourse on Right View

Kind regards
ground

Post by ground »

Hanzze wrote:Could it be not a problem if somebody focuses on the 4th NT rather than to understand the 1st clearly first and than make a jump to the next?
I don't know your problems. Find out for yourself.

Kind regards
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

Ohhh I see, the question was about "Racism in Buddhism". Well how could there be discrimination rooted on the Buddha Dharma, there should be no discussion about that.

Maybe that would be a possibility to return on the questions. What do you think?
rose
Site Admin

Post by rose »

Hanzze wrote:Ohhh I see, the question was about "Racism in Buddhism". Well how could there be discrimination rooted on the Buddha Dharma, there should be no discussion about that.

Maybe that would be a possibility to return on the questions. What do you think?
What question/s are being referred to? Questions are generally denoted with the use of a ? Since the title of this thread is "Racism in Buddhism" it appears as a statement not a question.

Regards,
rt
rose
Site Admin

Post by rose »

rainbowtara wrote:
Hanzze wrote:Ohhh I see, the question was about "Racism in Buddhism". Well how could there be discrimination rooted on the Buddha Dharma, there should be no discussion about that.

What question/s are being referred to? Questions are generally denoted with the use of a ? Since the title of this thread is "Racism in Buddhism" it appears as a statement not a question.

Regards,
rt
NB It appears that a change has been made to include a ? in the first post title, however it does not appear in any of the responses at least up to and including this one.

Regards
rt
Hanzze

Re: Racism in Buddhism?

Post by Hanzze »

Thanks for your hints and the patient with my unclear expressions, you are very attentive.
And by the way also thanks to my friend TMingyur and his clear and direct wink to the Buddha Dharma and the big patient.

I try to repeat the main questions (in dependence on the original post):

* Racism in Buddhism?
* Now, nearly all "Buddhist" would tell that they are Non-Racists or non of that "searching for Different"-kind. How much is that reality and how to solve it?
* Which kind of Racist are you?
* Did you get liberality taught?
rose
Site Admin

Post by rose »

Hanzze wrote:Thanks for your hints and the patient with my unclear expressions, you are very attentive.
And by the way also thanks to my friend TMingyur and his clear and direct wink to the Buddha Dharma and the big patient.

I try to repeat the main questions (in dependence on the original post):

* Racism in Buddhism?
* Now, nearly all "Buddhist" would tell that they are Non-Racists or non of that "searching for Different"-kind. How much is that reality and how to solve it?
* Which kind of Racist are you?
* Did you get liberality taught?

Only if one has had contact with nearly all Buddhist practitioners to ask them whether they feel they are racist does the statement
Hanzze wrote: * Now, nearly all "Buddhist" would tell that they are Non-Racists...
become significant, otherwise it is a broad generalization with little meaning.

To throw the questions back, what kind of racist are you? Did you get liberality (?) taught?

Regards,
rt
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

rainbowtara wrote: To throw the questions back, what kind of racist are you? Did you get liberality (?) taught?
Regards,
rt
Dear rainbowtara,

I guess I can only provide meaningless letters, maybe there are some useful things between the words. Sorry for not able to provide real meaning full content.

I guess to dislike racist tendentious at there roots as well as to put beings in different classes (traditions, schools...) is actually also a possible root for racism. When you live as a foreigner direct with native people, you learn what it means to be misunderstood and how hard it is to exist as a stranger. It is a wonderful possibility to learn how much aversion is inside one self and how much pride on nonsense knowledge and concepts social networks are build up.
But to come back to the question "what kind of racist are you?", I could not find any kind of classification till yet.
And still there is a dislike against group establishment. Maybe one can call it a racism-racist.

To the second question: I guess in ever kind of teaching, as long as it comes from outside, there are always borders and bondages. But for sure I had the chance to get in touch with very liberal (free of concepts) teachings.
ground

Post by ground »

If I may take up the style of argumentation applied by you earlier when you actually rejected the Buddha's teaching?
Hanzze wrote: I guess to dislike racist tendentious at there roots as well as to put beings in different classes (traditions, schools...) is actually also a possible root for racism. When you live as a foreigner direct with native people, you learn what it means to be misunderstood and how hard it is to exist as a stranger.
Who dislikes? Who is foreigner? Who learns?
Hanzze wrote: It is a wonderful possibility to learn how much aversion is inside one self and how much pride on nonsense knowledge and concepts social networks are build up.
Inside whom is there aversion and pride?

See, Hanzze?

What you are actually doing is to refer to no-self in order to reject the Buddha's conventional teachings but when it comes to advocating your own worldly views of your world then you abandon the view of no-self.

Why is this?

Clinging aggregates!

Kind regards
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

Actually there are no "Buddha's conventional teachings" and you are as right as wrongs as you are. There is no different between TMingyur, Hanzze or Rainbowtara or...
There is no non-self, and there is no such thing like foreigner, dislike, as there is no possibility to separate worldly and unworldly. There is also no possibility to express something in a way it could not be misunderstood.

As long as there is a response there are "Clinging aggregates", indeed.
But this are just an opinion.
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Hanzze wrote:Actually there are no "Buddha's conventional teachings" and you are as right as wrongs as you are.
You are wrong. You need to actually take the time to read a basic book on Buddhism.
There is no different between TMingyur, Hanzze or Rainbowtara or...
There is no non-self, and there is no such thing like foreigner, dislike, as there is no possibility to separate worldly and unworldly
[/quote]

You are conflating the ultimate with the relative, and seem attached to the ultimate. If you forget the relative, you may step out into the street and get hit by car that lacks inherent self-existence.
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”