Leaving Facebook - should I?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
KwanSeum

Leaving Facebook - should I?

Post by KwanSeum »

One week ago I followed through on my idea that I should leave Facebook. They said, if I donโ€™t login in the next two weeks then my account will be permanently deleted.

Reasons to delete (list adapted from: http://www.brighthub.com/internet/web-d ... 92499.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;):

1) Privacy (Recent research by an American university found 23 per cent of employers reviewed candidates? profiles on social networking sites. )
2) Addictive
4) The Bad Impact on Career Life and Personal Life (there are real people out there too)
6) Scams
7) Virus Attacks
8) Monopoly (Facebook is literally making itself the center of all business advertisements)
9) Health Concerns (headaches, backaches, eye strain and a long list of other maladies.)
============================================
Is there any reason why I shouldnโ€™t leave Facebook? Is there anything you get from Facebook that is beneficial to you?
๐—ฅ๐—ฒ๐—น๐—ถ๐—ด๐—ถ๐—ผ๐˜‚๐˜€๐—น๐˜† ๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜๐—ต๐—ผ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐˜… ๐—ญ๐—ฒ๐—ป ๐—บ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ธ (์Šค๋‹˜; ๅƒงไพถ) & ๐—ฎ๐—บ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฒ๐˜‚๐—ฟ ๐—ฝ๐—ต๐—ถ๐—น๐—ผ๐˜€๐—ผ๐—ฝ๐—ต๐—ฒ๐—ฟ.
Huseng
Former staff member

Re: Leaving Facebook - should I?

Post by Huseng »

Facebook is how people contact me.

Even my relatives whom I haven't seen in years ...

It is a worthwhile network to be on. I have decent discussions on it. I don't mind sharing nice photos I've taken with everyone.

If you dislike it, just delete all your content and use it as a means for others to contact you if they need to.
plwk

Post by plwk »

If you did, then what? If you didn't, then what?
Tree

Post by Tree »

I'd love to remove facebook form my life, but unfortunately it's too useful of a tool.

I'm there for now!
tktru

Post by tktru »

I personally find Facebook to be useful despite addictive properties, but I will drop it ASAP when the next biggest social networking website is launched:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bmk9CjEha8A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KwanSeum

Post by KwanSeum »

plwk wrote:If you did, then what?
If I did then I'd have to spend more time grounded in reality with people who were actually around me. For similar reasons I canceled my Internet completely a year ago but found in this age people expected me to have an email address at my house (especially as I'm an ICT teacher). I canceled it after a retreat in the Korean mountains. During the retreat I was without phone or Internet for two weeks and in the beginning I worried that someone was trying to text me or email me about something important. Eventually that feeling went away and I was just with myself. On returning home I canceled my Internet connection and only reinstated it when I became sick and needed it to email work. After all, if someone wants to contact me they can phone or email me.
plwk wrote:If you didn't, then what?
If I didn't then I'd have to face up to the fact that my actions and my aspirations are far apart from each other. I might claim that my goal is peace and simplicity but instead I opt for a busy and bustling social networking site that is far removed my the Dharma as I understand it.
Nosta

Post by Nosta »

I dont have facebook or hi5 etc and i dont need it, unless to get in touch with distant friends. Other than that is useless for me. If i want to talk with a friend, i have the phone or i will go to a coffee with him.

But, for many other things, facebook may be useful, but luckly i dont need them.
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

Isn't it always deisre that keeps one in the circle and takes one face after the other to get satisfaction. I used it two weeks, after that I was kicked out. To less personal informations, so not useful for the big database. "You can send a copy of your ID-card..."
May the data's never be used like such data's have been used many times (connections, photos, thinking...).

Let me just tell: Beware of your desire, they have no benefit at all. :spy:
Just that! :-)
meindzai

Post by meindzai »

KwanSeum wrote: 1) Privacy (Recent research by an American university found 23 per cent of employers reviewed candidates? profiles on social networking sites. )
Easy, don't put anything up there you don't want others to see. Don't add people as friends if you don't want them to see what's on your profile.
2) Addictive
That's not a facebook problem, that's a personal problem.
4) The Bad Impact on Career Life and Personal Life (there are real people out there too)
Such as?
6) Scams
7) Virus Attacks
Given. Though this doesn't happen to me, because i am discerning about what i click on.
8) Monopoly (Facebook is literally making itself the center of all business advertisements)
Facebook isn't nearly a monopoly (ther are other social networks - they just aren't doing as well), and advertising has nothing to do with whether something is a monopoly or not. They are just now catching up to Google in advertising revenue.
9) Health Concerns (headaches, backaches, eye strain and a long list of other maladies.)
Again, this has nothing to do with facebook, but with your computing habits.

I'm not saying don't leave - I'm just saying the reasons you've quoted have mostly to do with your own behavior and have nothing to do with Facebook. I'm on for about 5 minutes a day, total, maybe, which is basically all the little bits of time I check in on my blackberry (no viruses this way), and logging into the website now and again. It really has to do with your habits. If you think you can't control yourself, then just don't log on or delete your account. I've actually treasured some of the re-connections I've had through there.

-M
"The Dharma is huge." - Rael
KathyLauren

Post by KathyLauren »

I have a Facebook account, but I don;t use it much. The reason is that, for obvious privacy reasons, most people only share information with their "friends". That makes lurking impossible. There is no way to find out if you would like to "friend" someone without "friending" them first. The result is that Facebook is of no use to me.

Om mani padme hum
Keith
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

I find it somewhat useful for connecting with other Buddhists and some Buddhist groups, but otherwise don't use it too much.

Most of the things done on facebook I think could just as easily be done with e-mail, but I suppose some like to post everything that they are doing and don't mind the lack of privacy.

I think it is something that can be useful, in moderation.
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Post by Ngawang Drolma »

I didn't used to like it, I found it intrusive. But lately I was able to reconnect with some people using Facebook so now I'm a fan.

:namaste:
KwanSeum

Post by KwanSeum »

Ngawang Drolma wrote:But lately I was able to reconnect with some people using Facebook so now I'm a fan. :namaste:
When you say reconnect, do you mean actually meet them or just watch their posts?
๐—ฅ๐—ฒ๐—น๐—ถ๐—ด๐—ถ๐—ผ๐˜‚๐˜€๐—น๐˜† ๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜๐—ต๐—ผ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐˜… ๐—ญ๐—ฒ๐—ป ๐—บ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ธ (์Šค๋‹˜; ๅƒงไพถ) & ๐—ฎ๐—บ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฒ๐˜‚๐—ฟ ๐—ฝ๐—ต๐—ถ๐—น๐—ผ๐˜€๐—ผ๐—ฝ๐—ต๐—ฒ๐—ฟ.
KwanSeum

Post by KwanSeum »

Facebook said if I don't login for two weeks then my account would be closed. I tried to login today and it said I've no account.

I've also bought an Internet radio so I can listen to my favorite radio stations (eg, http://bbslive.nefficient.co.kr/bbsfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) so I can turn the computer off more often. Since I still have access to the computer at work it's amazing how much free-time I've created.

Kwanseum
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Post by Ngawang Drolma »

KwanSeum wrote:
Ngawang Drolma wrote:But lately I was able to reconnect with some people using Facebook so now I'm a fan. :namaste:
When you say reconnect, do you mean actually meet them or just watch their posts?
I mean chat with them online :)

Best,
Laura

Return to โ€œLoungeโ€