What was the last film you watched?

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
rose
Site Admin

What was the last film you watched?

Post by rose »

Today I watched "At Five in the Afternoon" - "Panj é asr" (original title) - Drama

"At five in the afternoon comes death," claims a haunting snatch of poetry in this equally haunting picture from Iranian director Samira Makhmalbaf. One of the first feature films to emerge from post-Taliban Afghanistan (making it a worthy companion piece to Siddiq Barmak's excellent Osama), this follows Noqreh (Agheleh Rezaie) as she struggles to redefine her role as a woman despite the protestations of her cranky, conservative father (Abdolgani Yousefrazi). Yet with death and misery everywhere, freedom seems an unlikely luxury.

As Noqreh's father drags her and her sister-in-law (Marzieh Amiri) across this bombed-out dustbowl in search of her missing brother, it's clear that international intervention has done little to solve the problems of the country. Unexploded mines kill children, religious extremism is rife, and the people are disenfranchised by years of civil war and a lack of basic education. Too busy burying their dead relatives, people have no interest in politics and death seems ready to come at any hour of the day, not just at five. "Blasphemy is everywhere," claims Noqreh's despairing father. "Many have been killed, the country is in ruins."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/films/2004/04/08/a ... view.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IMDb

Samira Makhmalbaf - IMDb

It is an excellent film, well worth watching.

Regards,

rt
retrofuturist
Former staff member

Re: What was the last film you watched?

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

I saw "The King's Speech" a few weeks ago (it's first movie I'd seen for months because I don't really go in for movies).

It was good - I liked it.

Metta,
Retro. :)
Live in concord, with mutual appreciation, without disputing, blending like milk and water, viewing each other with kindly eyes.
plwk

Post by plwk »

'Faster'- Billy Bob Thornton, Dwayne Johnson, Maggie Grace, Moon Bloodgood
deff

Post by deff »

'the cup' - directed by dzongsar khyentse rinpoche

twas good :twothumbsup:
KwanSeum

Post by KwanSeum »

A Korean film, translated into English "Let's Play Dharma". One of my favorite all time movies. Watch it if you can.
𝗥𝗲𝗹𝗶𝗴𝗶𝗼𝘂𝘀𝗹𝘆 𝗼𝗿𝘁𝗵𝗼𝗱𝗼𝘅 𝗭𝗲𝗻 𝗺𝗼𝗻𝗸 (스님; 僧侶) & 𝗮𝗺𝗮𝘁𝗲𝘂𝗿 𝗽𝗵𝗶𝗹𝗼𝘀𝗼𝗽𝗵𝗲𝗿.
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

I saw "The King's Speech" a few weeks ago (it's first movie I'd seen for months because I don't really go in for movies).

It was good - I liked it.

Metta,
Good movie.

No violence at all, but quite suspenseful. :smile:
Luke

Post by Luke »

I saw Groundhog Day for the first time because a member on Dhamma Wheel spoke highly of it. It was certainly more interesting than most mainstream movies.
I give it four out of five groundhogs.

ImageImageImageImage
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

"Mahler auf dem Couch", Percy and Felix Adlon, just a few days ago.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Su DongPo

Post by Su DongPo »

Twelfth Night (dir. Trevor Nunn, 1996) on DVD.

Watched it yesterday. I really like Ben Kingsley as Feste. The scenes with songs are the best.
Paul

Post by Paul »

At the cinema, the last film I saw was Inception.

Avery Buddhist film, but not really in an explicit way like the Matrix was.
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

True Grit.

really enjoyed it.
Inge

Post by Inge »

Hot tub time machine.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

"Million Dollar Hotel" it was advertised as a Wim Wenders film but he only produced it. Quite good though in a sort of artsy-fartsy kindda way. Funny to see Mel Gibson playing in this type of movie though.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
rose
Site Admin

Post by rose »

"Water"

Director: Deepa Mehta
The film examines the plight of a group of widows forced into poverty at a temple in the holy city of Varanasi. It focuses on a relationship between one of the widows, who wants to escape the social restrictions imposed on widows, and a man who is from the highest caste and a follower of Mahatma Gandhi.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0240200/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,
rt
retrofuturist
Former staff member

Post by retrofuturist »

Gnomeo & Juliet.

Metta,
Live in concord, with mutual appreciation, without disputing, blending like milk and water, viewing each other with kindly eyes.
plwk

Post by plwk »

phpBB [video]
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Dogtooth - A Greek movie currently nominated for an Oscar award. A REALLY dark humorous satire of family life. Definitely not a kids movie!
A hyper-stylized mixture of physical violence and verbal comedy, Dogtooth is a darkly funny look at three teenagers confined to their parents' isolated country estate and kept under strict rule and regimen — an inscrutable scenario that suggests a warped experiment in social conditioning and control. Terrorized into submission by their father, the children spend their days devising their own games and learning an invented vocabulary (a salt shaker is a "telephone," an armchair is "the sea") — until a trusted outsider, brought in to satisfy the son's libidinal urges, plants the seeds of rebellion by trading VHS tapes for sexual favors.
You can see the trailer here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFtDzK64-pk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

Star Trek - Generations
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

gregkavarnos wrote:Dogtooth - A Greek movie currently nominated for an Oscar award. A REALLY dark humorous satire of family life. Definitely not a kids movie!
A hyper-stylized mixture of physical violence and verbal comedy, Dogtooth is a darkly funny look at three teenagers confined to their parents' isolated country estate and kept under strict rule and regimen — an inscrutable scenario that suggests a warped experiment in social conditioning and control. Terrorized into submission by their father, the children spend their days devising their own games and learning an invented vocabulary (a salt shaker is a "telephone," an armchair is "the sea") — until a trusted outsider, brought in to satisfy the son's libidinal urges, plants the seeds of rebellion by trading VHS tapes for sexual favors.
You can see the trailer here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFtDzK64-pk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

'I hope your kids have bad influences and develop bad personalities'

A few recently toppled dictators may have woken up to that truth. ;)

You mean there are movies which are (gulp!) not in English!!
Left
Losal Samten

Post by Losal Samten »

John WIck with Keanu Reeves, Willem Dafoe, and Ian McShane. Solid and fun action movie.

and

The Colour of Pomegranates by Sergei Parajanov with contemporary score by Nicolas Jaar; a visuo-poetical take on the Armenian bard Sayat Nova's life. Good stuff outside the animal cruelty.

Available in the public domain:

phpBB [video]
Lacking mindfulness, we commit every wrong. - Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
ཨོཾ་ཧ་ནུ་པྷ་ཤ་བྷ་ར་ཧེ་ཡེ་སྭཱ་ཧཱ།།
ཨཱོཾ་མ་ཏྲི་མུ་ཡེ་སལེ་འདུ།།

Return to “Media”