Tibetan Font

This is a space for inquiries about various languages, translations, or anything else related to language.

Tibetan Font

Postby DharmaKitty » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:34 am

Morning All,

A strange question perhaps, but I am trying to find out which tibetan font is the one that is used in Pechas etc.

If you see the Om Mani mantra for example, which tibetan font would be used? or is it Sanskrit? I'm trying to put together a gift for someone - I need to use the Dorje Sempe mantra, but I don't know which tibetan font to use.

If anyone can help, I'd be most grateful.
:thanks:
The essence of a real practice is to bring our intellectual understanding to the level of our heart - so as to feel it - to live it!
DharmaKitty

Re: Tibetan Font

Postby sambhota » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:41 am

Most commonly uchen is used in pecha, at least pecha which have been printed from xylographs, and in modern printed Tibetan materials. A nice Unicode uchen is Jomolhari, which can be found here: http://www.library.gov.bt/IT/fonts.html

The Dorje Sempa a.k.a. Vajrasattva mantra, like all mantra, is in Sanskrit, so in order to type it out you'll need to make use of some of the special characters and stacks which Tibetan uses for Sanskrit sounds which do not occur in Tibetan. If you don't know Tibetan, and haven't yet had the pleasure of experimenting with the multitude of mostly functional input methods, you're in for a treat.
sambhota

Re: Tibetan Font

Postby DharmaKitty » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:10 pm

Thanks for the help. I have some of the tibetan fonts on my computer - but honestly am battling to put the mantra together..............so a 'treat' is what I seem to have in store for me.
Oh yah! :(

Thanks again
The essence of a real practice is to bring our intellectual understanding to the level of our heart - so as to feel it - to live it!
DharmaKitty

Return to Language