Rest of Everest Buddhist episodes

A place to post videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.
kirtu
Former staff member

Rest of Everest Buddhist episodes

Post by kirtu »

From the expedition/TV show/podcast "The Rest of Everest", episode 159 - the group travels to Tashilumpo Monastery in Shigatse to see (and film) the Maitreya Buddha statute.

The intro to the series goes on for almost 3 minutes so skip to 2:55 to start. This is a kind of documentary of a group expedition to Everest in the form of a TV show and podcast so there is a lot of talking. This can actually be viewed in 3D BTW.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Rest of Everest: Jokhang Visit

Post by kirtu »

Rest of Everest is a podcast series of expeditions to Mt. Everest that the author, John Miller, and several of his friends take year after year. This is Season 2 - Visit to the Jokhang Temple.

They do talk a lot in it but there is video that I have seen almost nowhere else.

Kirt
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
gad rgyangs

Re: Rest of Everest: Jokhang Visit

Post by gad rgyangs »

I was hoping they would sneak the video camera inside, but no dice. I was there in 2007 too, the last year before the "troubles", I managed to sneak a few photos inside, but they definitely were not allowing cameras. Hopefully the commies are not stupid enough to actually go and demolish the place, but I foresee a day when the only "monks" there are chinese dressed up as Tibetans for the chinese tourists to photograph. It is all massively depressing. ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པ་དྨེ་ཧཱུྃ
Thoroughly tame your own mind.
This is (possibly) the teaching of Buddha.

"I must finally conclude that this proposition, I am, I exist, is necessarily true whenever it is put forward by me or conceived in my mind."
- Descartes, 2nd Meditation 25
kirtu
Former staff member

Rest of Everest: Gyantse

Post by kirtu »

This is really amazing! In Season 2 Jon Miller and Scott Jacobs visit Gyantse and are able to film inside the Kumbum, the Great Stupa there. Additionally, for me as a former military person, they filmed the dzong (fortress) in Gyantse from a distance although they didn't visit it. The former military history of Tibetan is evident.

They return to Gyantse in season 5 with a group of people, part 1: Tsuklakhang Monastery
Season 5 Episode 157 Visit to Gyantse

Part 2 - revisiting Kumbum Stupa. The visit to Kumbum ends at around 12:15. Some of the talk afterwards is a bit off-color.

The Palcho Monastery complex at Gyantse in Wikipedia

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Re: Rest of Everest Buddhist episodes

Post by kirtu »

From Season 4, episode 121: Jon and the 2009 expedition visit Tengboche Monastery in Nepal.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Season 5 Episode 178 - Jon and Roger visit Rongbuk Monastery in Tibet (Tibetan: རྫ་རོང་ཕུ་དགོན་, Wylie: rdza rong phu dgon) and tour a cave where self-arisen images of Padmasambhava are supposed to have manifested. Rongbuk Monastery is the highest monastery in the world but is apparently being rebuilt after having been destroyed by 1974.

This cave is apparently a short distance from Rongbuk Monastery proper.

Exterior of Rongbuk Monastery in season 2, episode 88 up to ~5:20.

Rongbuk Monastery history at PBS

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

More shots of Tashilumpo Monastery: from season 2, up to about 8:20, monks serving tea and then resuming at about 12:15

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

End of 2007 trek - in Kathmandu, visit to Sechen Monastery and thangka gallery, up to 20:12.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Another visit to Swayambhunath Stupa, season 5, episode 148.

and another visit to Boudhanath Stupa, season 5, episode 149. The actual visit begins at about 10:44.

and a return to the Jokhang Temple, season 5, episode 151, with a panoramic shot of the Barkhor Square that the PRC has recently decided to demolish, and shots of pilgrims repairing the roof of the Jokhang. Arrival in Lhasa begins about 17:55.

Season 5 episode 152 has some other exterior shots of the Jokhang from the roof and the inner courtyard. Unfortunately a trek member becomes dangerously ill from altitude sickness.

An amazing visit to the Tsamkhung Nunnery in Lhasa, season 5, episode 153.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Season 1 episodes two and three.

Episode two is a little bit of Bangkok and in particular a huge statue of Ganesh outside a shopping mall and Kathmandu. The photography at Swayambhunath seems to be simply visceral and seems different from later videos. As usual, these are shots that I have just never seen in any other video or photo anywhere.

Episode three has Boudhanath and expedition details.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Rest of Everest 2014 Trek Announcement: Return to Everest south side, Nepal and apparently Bhutan as well.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Interesting aerial shots but the resolution is poor. But because it's Bhutan, this becomes a very promising teaser.
phpBB [video]

I think the resolution thing has to do with their 3D photography. I put on regular 3D glasses and while it did not produce a 3D effect, the resolution problems went away.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

The statue is beautiful. Im very jealous I would love to go on a trip like that and see something that magnificent. One dayyyyyy.
Thus shall ye think of all this fleeting world:
A star at dawn, a bubble in a stream;
A flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
A flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

kirtu wrote:Interesting aerial shots but the resolution is poor.
They cleaned up the resolution! This is spectacular! It literally brings tears to my eyes.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

The series is really good. If anyone is interested in travel I would definitely recommend watching this, stayed awake all night. It must be an amazing experience to meditate somewhere the Buddha once did. (The cave in)
phpBB [video]

It seems odd that the military wont let them take many pictures at the peak, I am slightly curious why that is? Is there something there that's controversial?
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Jesse wrote: It seems odd that the military wont let them take many pictures at the peak, I am slightly curious why that is? Is there something there that's controversial?
Jon Miller mentioned at the beginning of the episode that the military was afraid of people going up to base camp and demonstrating. Roger Huff mentioned that the soldiers were skittish about flags and banners in general and that they didn't even allow him to photograph the PRC flag at the control point.

OTOH in the Youtube notes it also mentions that tourists could not visit Everest base camp at all at that time. I don't remember if that was the more infamous year of a dozen or more deaths of people trying to summit Everest or not but this concern may also have played a role.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

phpBB [video]

Not an episode per se. This is one of several flight tests that Jon Miller practiced using an aerial drone. Most of these were in Colorado. This one is mostly on the trip up to Everest Base Camp.

From the Youtube write-up:
World exclusive high altitude aerial cinematography with a remote controlled drone quadcopter with footage of Everest Base Camp, Khumbu Ice Fall, Cho La Pass, Renjo La Pass, Gokyo as well as flights over Kathmandu, Nepal.

HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

I still have fun watching these. They make me feel alive! Life feels so boring most of the time, anytime I see wondrous places like these it just makes me want to get up and go there.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

The "Rest of Everest" podcast seems to have stopped three years ago just after their trip to Bhutan (of which only trailers were posted). I'll see if there are any episodes that I missed when they visited Buddhist locations and post them here.

Kirt

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Return to “Media”