Immortality and Theravada

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
sraddha

Immortality and Theravada

Post by sraddha »

So why is Buddha known as "amatassa Datta" or the giver of immortality if 5 upadana skandha are impermanent and suffering?

I was wondering what the Classical Theravada commentaries and tradition has to say about this and compare/contrast it to the Mahayana sutras.
retrofuturist
Former staff member

Re: Immortality and Theravada

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings sraddha,

I assume it is because nibbana is unconditioned and permanent.

Metta,
Retro. :)
Live in concord, with mutual appreciation, without disputing, blending like milk and water, viewing each other with kindly eyes.
sraddha

Post by sraddha »

So that makes nirvana immortal -- so what happens to "not me"?

So what does attaining to nibbana mean really for all of us if there is "no me"?

What happens to an Arahant after his physical skandha dies? Why would an Arahant be called immortal? :smile:
retrofuturist
Former staff member

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings sraddha,

Subtle questions, requiring subtle answers!... Answers that would be very difficult to state without inferring some kind of annihilationism or eternalism.

I would recommend going to DWT and asking that question and getting a range of responses from different people.

Metta,
Live in concord, with mutual appreciation, without disputing, blending like milk and water, viewing each other with kindly eyes.
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Post by Ngawang Drolma »

sraddha wrote:So that makes nirvana immortal -- so what happens to "not me"?

So what does attaining to nibbana mean really for all of us if there is "no me"?

What happens to an Arahant after his physical skandha dies? Why would an Arahant be called immortal? :smile:
Hi Sraddha,

From a TB point of view, I believe the answer would be found somewhere in dharmakaya.

Kindly,
Drolma
:anjali:
retrofuturist
Former staff member

Post by retrofuturist »

I assume that T represents Tibetan and not Theravada!

:rolling:

Metta,
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Post by Ngawang Drolma »

retrofuturist wrote:I assume that T represents Tibetan and not Theravada!

:rolling:

Metta,
Teehee :lol:
sraddha

Post by sraddha »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings sraddha,

I would recommend going to DWT and asking that question and getting a range of responses from different people.

Metta,
What's DWT?
:shrug:

Is that Dhammawheel Theravada? :smile: If that's they case, they should come here and answer the questions. :D
sraddha

Post by sraddha »

Ngawang Drolma wrote:
sraddha wrote:So that makes nirvana immortal -- so what happens to "not me"?

Hi Sraddha,

From a TB point of view, I believe the answer would be found somewhere in dharmakaya.

Kindly,
Drolma
:rolling: Definately, the Dharmakaya is it!
retrofuturist
Former staff member

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Sraddha,
sraddha wrote:What's DWT? :shrug:

Is that Dhammawheel Theravada? :smile:
Yes, it's my short-hand... DWT and DWM.

Metta,
sraddha

Post by sraddha »

The Theravada and Mahayana both accept the Nikayas, however, they have VERY divergent views on the meaning of these sutras.

THE MAHAYANA STATES THE ENTIRE NIKAYAS ARE ABOUT BODIES!!!!

For the Mahayana school (Hevajra Tantra) , the Aghama (Nikayas) means the following :

Nikaya literally means body! Ni-kaya

So
Samyutta Nikaya = connected body
Madhyamika Nikaya = middling body.
Dirgha Nikaya = Large body.
Anguttara Nikaya = incremental body.
Khuddaka Nikaya - lesser body!

-- within these sutras ---

1) mortal body -- known as the putikaya (putrid decay body) or in Mahayana, Nirmankaya.
2) body of marks (32) -- known as sambhogkaya is a transitory body, the body formed due to sacrifice (bodhisatva sacrifice) -- the SACRIFICIAL BODY. It is the revealed body, revealed through self sacrifice.
3) immortal body -- Dharma kaya - it is the cessation, vajra body.

A normal human being only knows about the mortal body, but is unaware of the Sambhogkaya or Dharmakaya -- which only a Buddhist comes to know of completely.

sraddha

Post by sraddha »

Subtle questions, requiring subtle answers!... Answers that would be very difficult to state without inferring some kind of annihilationism or eternalism.

Metta,
Hi Retro,

In Nikaya teachings, eternalism is the confusing of the 5 upadana skandha as everlasting.

Annihilationism is that there is nothing after the decay and degeneration of the 5 upadana skandhas.

That's why expressing them in terms of 3 contiguous bodies avoids both wrong views, since

1) you are never under the assumption that the 5 upadana skandhas (nirmanakaya) is ever eternal. :D
2) You are never under the assumption that after the decay of the 5 upadana skandhas there is nothing, since there is still the Dharmakaya which is without any signs and free of time.
retrofuturist
Former staff member

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings sraddha,
sraddha wrote:In Nikaya teachings, eternalism is the confusing of the 5 upadana skandha as everlasting.

Annihilationism is that there is nothing after the decay and degeneration of the 5 upadana skandhas.
Actually, it's a little different to that.

Eternalism is that there is an eternal "atta" (Self). Such a self can be conceived in any number of ways, through various combinations of the aggregates.

Annihilationism is that there is an "atta" that is destroyed at the moment of death.

They're both "soul theories", and that's what makes them Wrong Views.

Metta,
sraddha

Post by sraddha »

sraddha wrote:In Nikaya teachings, eternalism is the confusing of the 5 upadana skandha as everlasting.

Actually, it's a little different to that.

Eternalism is that there is an eternal "atta" (Self). Such a self can be conceived in any number of ways, through various combinations of the aggregates.

Annihilationism is that there is an "atta" that is destroyed at the moment of death.

They're both "soul theories", and that's what makes them Wrong Views.

Metta,
I agree, wrong view is the conception of atta as being one of the 5 aggregates.

At the same time Atma is something to be conquered and tamed, this taming of concepts of self is "anatma" and nirvana:

Yo sahassam sahassena sangame masuse jine
Ekam ca jeyyam attanam sa ve sangama-j'uttamo. 103

Greater in battle
than the man who would conquer
a thousand-thousand men,
is he who would conquer
just one —
himself.
however, Buddha does not deny "atta" in terms of development -- in fact, without "self or atma" development, one cannot attain Nibbana:
Dhammapada
Mase mase sahassena yo yajetha satam samam
Ekam ca bhavit'attanam muhuttam api pujaye
Sa yeva pujana seyyo yam ce vassasatam hutam. 106

You could, month by month,
at a cost of thousands,
conduct sacrifices
a hundred times,
or
pay a single moment's homage
to one person,
self-cultivated.

The conquest of the self is first, and the development of self is 2nd. Release from self is the final -- this release from atma or self is called the Dharmakaya, the sacrifice of self is the Sambhogkaya in the Mahayana. :smile:

Return to “Lounge”